Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RebelSS

Playoff Caviar

34 posts in this topic

Ok, I'm gonna toot my own horn. You've heard of Texas caviar, I assume....well, we had a big contest with a bunch of guys, including their wives and friends, five years ago, as to who could make the best "caviar". It was a big contest, and after a lot of judging and recipes, the 2 finalists were selected...me and my buddy's gourmet-cooking wife. I won. She was pissed. Hey, when yer good, yer good. It took me like 2 weeks and 5 batches to get it just right. So, as a consolation, she got to name it...and she did admit she loved it. So, here's my "Minnesota Caviar"...and she loves calling me by that name, cuz I'm an old rocker. Whatever revs yer blower........:grin:

Markie  Mark’s Minnesota Caviar

1 can blackeyed peas, rinsed and drained
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
½ can yellow corn (or shoepeg) drained
1 large green pepper, chopped
1 large red pepper, chopped
1 large purple onion, chopped
1 Jalepeno, seeded and chopped fine
1 10 oz can of Rotel Tomato’s with Chiles, drained
Combine veggies in large bowl, pour ½ to ¾ cup of light oil over veggies; stir. (Canola, Wesson, or Extra Virgin Olive)

Mix:
½ cup red wine vinegar
½ cup white vinegar
½ cup sugar; combine all 3 and heat until sugar dissolves, cool.
Add to vinegar mix:
½ tsp SMOKED CHIPOTLE chile pepper powder (Made by Mccormick Spices)
1 tsp salt
¾ tsp Cumin
½ tsp Cilantro
½ tsp Garlic Powder
½ tsp  fresh cracked black pepper
1 tsp green tabasco sauce

Pour Vinegar mix over veggies, stir, and refrigerate 6-8 hours.
Enjoy! (With Tostito’s Scoops)

Eat within two days, though. 

The real deal.... Texas+Caviar+-+Emily.jpg

Edited by RebelSS

my daughter makes tthat!!!!! a chip dip right!!!!!!!!!!! yea not bad.

1 minute ago, smurfy said:

my daughter makes tthat!!!!! a chip dip right!!!!!!!!!!! yea not bad.

Smurfo, ya gotta try this one.....I guarantee you'll love it. I put my heart into this one. :)

Just now, RebelSS said:

Smurfo, ya gotta try this one.....I guarantee you'll love it. I put my heart into this one. :)

boar said you didn't have a heart!!!!!!!!!

I made it and it isn't very good.  I will give it 2 "toots". :):)

Edited by leechlake

Just now, leechlake said:

I made it and it isn't very good.  I will give it 2 "toots".

Ya right. Fast work. You wish. I'll toot yer friggin' knob.

reinhard1 likes this

Just now, RebelSS said:

hahaha...  it's got like 46 ingredients for God's sake.  If I had a wheel barrow of ADHD drugs I couldn't make it.

It looks very good and the photo is outstanding.  

LindellProStaf and Me like this

HA,HA  I'll try it for sure!!  how come the two day life span?  You got vinegar in there.  Does it loose texture, flavor or something?  good luck.

Ya, it gets kinda sogged out, rh. Veggies soften too much. It does need to sit in the fridge overnite before ya eat it, though...that's a must. I really would be honored if you'd make it, and tell us what ya think. it IS a pain to make, but if ya line everything up like I do, and proceed down the line, it isn't too bad. It's worth it. Lotsa choppin', though.  I like to crank Segar or the Stones or Van Morrison and have it. I find it relaxing. Give it a go!

LindellProStaf and reinhard1 like this

Thanks, bobber. Pretty passionate about my cooking. Plus, the guys at work ate good at work all week, all day. :P

reinhard1 likes this

Eeew, no that looks way to healthy for a Football game.:(  A game is the only time my wife lets me eat crapp because shes not watching it. So crapp I will eat!  :)

Maybe a can of Hormel chili on top would help crapp it up a bit? :P

Edited by leech~~
icehole10 likes this

16 hours ago, RebelSS said:

:blush::blush::blush::whistle::eek::P

16 hours ago, RebelSS said:

Thought for a second I wandered on to the wrong page!! :grin:

Making it today.  I was going to make it exactly the way it is but my wife can't stand green pepper raw so I'll just put in another red pepper or orange pepper.  Otherwise it is what it is.  I'll have it for the game tomorrow.  good luck.

That looks great.  I love salsa type stuff and haven't made it for a couple of years.  May have to do this one.  Thanks

reinhard1 likes this

39 minutes ago, reinhard1 said:

Got er done!!! Now for the overnight in the fridge.  Taste's great already.  This would make a great salsa also!!!  good luck.

IMG_2622.thumb.jpg.5ab6a6eedf2eaebb7f785

Good Stuff!!!

Good job! Let me know how ya like it tomorrow, rh!! I may have to bottle it!  :grin:

Edited by RebelSS
reinhard1 likes this

awesome!  May have to make some home made chips.

Cut three at a time with scissors in pie shape.  Throw a few at a time in oil, not touching, flip after about 30 seconds.  Little salt and whamo!

reinhard1 and lovebigbluegills like this

14 hours ago, leechlake said:

awesome!  May have to make some home made chips.

Cut three at a time with scissors in pie shape.  Throw a few at a time in oil, not touching, flip after about 30 seconds.  Little salt and whamo!

how many ingredients does it take to make them homemade chips???????

One.  A package of tortillas.   And oil for frying. 

Unless of course you want to make your own tortillas....  gringo.

yupe just get  pizza cutter and cut triangles and deep fry them when they come out of the oil, dust with a little rance or spiracha