• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Fishing Head lamp

randerson

What is everyone using for added light during setup and take down of your houses. There seems to a lot of LED options out there I have had some good and bad ones over the years the most recent one I purchased comes unhooked from the straps all the time.

I have a few, dont recall the brands, but one runs 4AAA batteries and I'm going into year two now without a recharge.  I get them every year for x-mas and bough one years back when I was wiring my basement with no lights.  Seems the cheap one are lasting me a lot longer than much of my other gear.  Plus if they break or go for a swim its less painful to replace.

Have (2) Energizer LED, (2) Sharper Image LED ...all given as Christmas gifts to me, but not that expensive...you know, the cheap-o ones you see near the checkout counter.  Have had them for 5+ years, no issues w/ any of them.  Son even has a Lego one where the lights are in the feet and very bright.

I like any headlamp that doesn't easily switch 'on' in your pocket and drain your batteries to zero.  Of course, you only find this out when you need the darn thing to work!  My petzls have a switch that is so stiff that I have to take a glove off to move the switch.  I got an Energizer earlier this fall (couldn't find one of my Petzl's while packing for deer season...of course it was still in my ice fishing jacket pocket.)  The Energizer switch is very easy to operate, and I have twice already found it turned on in my jacket pocket. 

I've learned my lesson and just started buying the cheap ones. I seem to always lose mine somehow and the cheap ones seem to work just as well. Also with the cheap ones they typically only have one setting, which I like, unlike the more expensive ones where you have to press the button several times for low brightness, high brightness, red, and blue colors.

Streamlight makes good lights. We use them at work on our hardhats. They take a lot of abuse and are incredibly bright. Probably 6 or 7 of us that have them and most make it 2-3 years. I know that doesn't sound like a long time but these get incredibly abused where I work. If I was buying a headlamp I'd buy a streamlight right away. When my battery cap broke on one I got a new light from work but took the old one home, e-mailed them and they sent me a new cap for free.

Edited by arctic_scrap1