• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Repairs

fridron

After an accident the first  time I used my new Clam Kenai, I have to have it repaired. Unfortunately, to my surprise and consternation, I am going to have to be satisfied with having BLACK patches because the only clam blue material anyone can get will only repair a 4" hole. Since the shelters are manufactured in China, Clam only carries 8" square patches and the building in Rogers is only a distribution center, so don't drive out there, like I did, thinking you can get parts. Yes, I realize keeping various size patches takes up room, but I guess I thought having a roll of material available by the yard wouldn't be too much to ask. Especially since the people they recommend for repairs don't even have it. To be fair, I would probably think the same thing would be happening to some one with an Otter or Eskimo since the only color of fire retardant material I found available is black. Lesson learned, the product is there.......repairs? Means buying a new product, ahh... capitalism.

Consternation........Im gonna need google for that one...LOL! So if its a really big deal, but a replacement canopy and keep your old one to cut and use for patches maybe. Or theres lots of cheap used clams for sale......Cheaper than new anyway.

I had some mice chew a bunch of holes one which was the size of a basket ball in a one year old porty that i had stored in the garage one summer. :(

I found some blue canvas at a fabric supply place and glued it on with some of this repair mender from Fleet Farm. I could not believe how well it worked for years of folding up and down and never came lose! :)

shopping.jpg

Buying another cover didn't cross my mind, good idea. Anyway, got it fixed at Industrial Sewing in Hugo for $50, it's sewn and sealed and looks good other than color. If I would have had it for a couple years it wouldn't have mattered, but it was brand new. My main problem was I got the impression that, once the product is sold, Clam could care less about customer service. The idea about canvas and glue kinda defeats the fire retardant feature of the new materials, I think. Anyway, sorry for the rant. Maybe I'll get some yellow paint and put Frabil on the black patch..........LOL

3 hours ago, fridron said:

Buying another cover didn't cross my mind, good idea. Anyway, got it fixed at Industrial Sewing in Hugo for $50, it's sewn and sealed and looks good other than color. If I would have had it for a couple years it wouldn't have mattered, but it was brand new. My main problem was I got the impression that, once the product is sold, Clam could care less about customer service. The idea about canvas and glue kinda defeats the fire retardant feature of the new materials, I think. Anyway, sorry for the rant. Maybe I'll get some yellow paint and put Frabil on the black patch..........LOL

"After an accident the first  time I used my new Clam Kenai"

So let me guess something to do with the heater I bet since your worried about fire retardancy of the patches you put in? ;)

Yes, an old Coleman Black Cat, same basic system as the Little Buddy, or rather more like the old Jon e hand warmers. Used it half a dozen times in the 15+ years since I bought it, never put out enough heat. I thought it would work in a one man, thought it was off as it was cold before I put it in the sled to go home. It is now in the dump and a Buddy takes its place, 'cause the Big Buddy takes up too much space.

23 hours ago, fridron said:

Yes, an old Coleman Black Cat, same basic system as the Little Buddy, or rather more like the old Jon e hand warmers. Used it half a dozen times in the 15+ years since I bought it, never put out enough heat. I thought it would work in a one man, thought it was off as it was cold before I put it in the sled to go home. It is now in the dump and a Buddy takes its place, 'cause the Big Buddy takes up too much space.

The first thing I do every time I am ready to pack up the porty after fishing for the day is turn off the heater and set it out side be it sun heater or Big buddy to cool down. By the time I reel up the lines and pack everything up in the sled the heater is the last thing to go in so it is pretty cooled down by then.