• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

complicated recipes

HA HA, great thread!!  I've never really followed any recipe's for meatballs.  Not even my own.  Always seem to add stuff to it and never measure anything.  I do have a meatloaf recipe on my page that I did measure, but I did that because you have to measure stuff if your going to post it for folks to make.  So if you like your meatloaf recipe then turn them into meatballs.  No mice though.  good luck.

1 hour ago, Boar said:

noodle might be limp but it still way longer than yurs and smurf:P

Next pics from you, we expect to see SPAGHETTI. I showed ya what to get...how easy is that? :P

Speaking of limp noodles, these might give ya wood.... in the wrong way.  I had some once, concentrated patties of grease with a tad of meat. They were gross. Now they come with wood as filler.....run away! :/

http://www.kaaltv.com/article/stories/S4007574.shtml?cat=10151

Edited by RebelSS

4 minutes ago, smurfy said:

oh great, boar  and I are going fishing the weekend of the 23rd................... he said hes bringin spaghetti!!!!!!!:sick::mad::crazy::P

Well, that should work out just fine, then... :grin:

resized_confucius-says-meme-generator-li

Edited by RebelSS

15 hours ago, leechlake said:

I made some meatballs tonight.  As they were cooking in oven for a bit I dinked around looking up some meatball recipes on line.  Holy cow!  I was intimidated just looking at the ingredient lists.  Seems to be about 15 items long, no wonder so many people don't cook.

I happened to use some venny and pork Italian sausage so I didn't have to add any seasoning but I took about a pound of meat, maybe 3/4 or less cup of cracker crumbs and an egg and a bit of milk.  It couldn't have taken 5 minutes.

If I would have followed the first recipe I looked up I would have been at it for 20 minutes and would have had to look at the recipe 12 times.  It doesn't have to be that hard is what I'm saying.

Meatballs might have a lot of ingredients if you are starting with raw unseasoned meat but they are far from complicated.  Its little more than tossing the meat in with your seasonings and binders and mixing it all up.

Every year I make a big batch of meatballs from scratch.  Its a little different each year but I'm guessing on average I make 10-15 pounds of meatballs using venison with a little beef and pork mixed in for fat.  I'm guessing if I wrote down all my ingredients my list would probably be 10-15 items long if you include each spice. Really even with that long ingredient list it doesn't take that long to do nor is it very complicated.  Throw meat in a bowl, toss in your seasoning, mix, and form into meatballs.

I usually make the big batch of meatballs along with a batch of breakfast sausage in an evening.  Including grinding time for the venison and pork, seasoning/mixing, cook time, and bag/freezing I'm guessing it takes me less than 2 hours to get everything done and that is for maybe 20 pounds of total meat.

If you haven't done it before it may seem daunting but partly I think thats due to people looking at the entire process as a whole or looking at the long list of things you need.  If you break it down into steps its very simple.  It similar to some home remodel projects.  I gutted/remodeled my basement 3 years ago and friends have asked me how I did it or if I was intimidated by it.  I tell them its not really that big of a deal if you just take it step by step and don't get ahead of yourself by trying to tackle it all at once.

9 hours ago, smurfy said:

oh great, boar  and I are going fishing the weekend of the 23rd................... he said hes bringin spaghetti!!!!!!!:sick::mad::crazy::P

Then make sure you take a sack of those PB&J's. Everyone likes those.   

7 minutes ago, leechlake said:

btw-  my OP was that making meatballs is easy and nobody should need a 15 point recipe.  I don't know about you guys that misread and derail threads :)

We figured it was so easy, that post was already dead. Now we're trying to help ol' Smurfo out, as he's all revved up about going fishing with Boar and what will be provided for lunch. I was just going to suggest meatballs in grape jelly, when you popped in. :grin:

lets see what the list of ingredients might be.  Ground beef (pork, turkey). bread or crackers, milk. egg, salt, pepper, Worcestershire, 

Up to nine and no seasoning yet.  Or maybe 7 if you are doing pure beef. 

2 hours ago, leechlake said:

btw-  my OP was that making meatballs is easy and nobody should need a 15 point recipe.  I don't know about you guys that misread and derail threads :)

You don't put meatballs in spaghetti??? How's that derailing a thread?:D

Funny my wife just likes sauce on her spaghetti and I have to have some meat in the sauce.  I just form up some simple meatballs or some of my bulk Italian sausage and form that into balls.  Fry them until done and throw them in the sauce.  good luck.

26 minutes ago, reinhard1 said:

Funny my wife just likes sauce on her spaghetti and I have to have some meat in the sauce.  I just form up some simple meatballs or some of my bulk Italian sausage and form that into balls.  Fry them until done and throw them in the sauce.  good luck.

Only trouble with that is the meatballs can get tough or rubbery, if that bothers you.   But  that is why I keep a bag of them around.  That, and picky grandkids. 

Never really had that problem with homemade meatballs.  But I will say that the store bought ones have a texture that is guarenteed not to be rubbery.  They don't have much "body" to them.  Not really firm as I like them.  I have tried Simeks and other brands and there is not much difference to them.  They did lot's of demo's at work with different brands.  They are handy to have but not like homemade.  I think that they have more fillers in some cases rather than more meat.  good luck.

2 hours ago, reinhard1 said:

Me too. Just the sauce, with lotsa parmesan on top. Don't know why. With spaghetti, I have to have old fashioned ring bologna on the side.....and mop up the sauce with it. :P

Edited by RebelSS