Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

travlingypsy

Looking for good handheld GPS

7 posts in this topic

I have the navionics program on my phone and it works good to a point.  I have an H20c currently but looking to update. What does everyone else use to save waypoints?

What kind of lake chips are ppl running?

Any input would be great! Fish on!

SI use my phone and iPad unless the ice is thick enough to have my snowmobile or utv out then I use my chart plotter lowrance Gen 3 with navionics platinum plus preloaded. 

I stopped using a handheld because the screens are much larger on the phone and ipad

20151211_215501.jpg

Edited by James Vladyka

Garmin has about 4 Handhelds to look at, GPSMap 64 series, GPSMap 78 series ( Float ), Etrex series and the Oregon 600 series, you can pick from push button or touchscreen models, the Oregon 600's will have the larger screen of the 4.

There are a few programs out there to convert your waypoints from your H2O, I use GPStrackmaker but there are several others out  there.

As for lake map chips, I would look for the Upper Midwest Fishing Guide MicroSD card on the web, you probably won't find any new ones anymore but theres some used ones showing up. Garmin does have a new lake map product called LakeVu that works in all of those units EXCEPT the Etrex, the new lake map card covers the entire U.S. and believe your looking at about $119.00 or so for that card and you get much more than just lake contours with those cards.

If you're a hunter, theres more products available for the devices listed above.

Mike

Edited by MN Mike
BobT likes this

Inevitably, 3/4 posters will tell you to use your phone or otherwise not provide you with advice about a handheld.  Happens everytime.

I've had a handheld GPS since 1998 and don't need an explanation on why you would want one over the navionics app on your phone.   I'm a fan of Garmin's 60 series.  I think they are up to model 64 now.  I had a 60Cx and and 62s.  They are tough units, that 60cx is still working after about a decade of banging around in boats and ice fishing sleds..  Unfortunately, they don't float and I accidentally tossed my 62s off the side of a boat.  Just got an Garmin Oregon 600 for xmas.  I like it, but I'm a little worried about the touch screen.  I liked the 60 series because they have buttons, which work better with gloves on.  I do like the larger screen on that oregon though and the more compact size.  

I don't think garmin offers the upper midwest fishing guide anymore.  I didn't see it on their page when I was looking for a map for my new oregon.   They do have the lake vu thing though at a comparable price.  One thing I'd recommend is getting it on a disc rather than a chip.  That way the map is on your computer and your GPS, and not just your GPS at the bottom of a lake in remote Ontario.

I would avoid an etrex...  Just not enough functionality.  They are good for getting unlost but that's about it.

About 2 years ago I researched hand held GPS's after my 10 year old Lowrance died. I finally bought a Garmin 62st. I have been very happy with it so far, easy to use and much more intuitive than my old Lowrance was. In my research, I recall that a number of people suggested staying away from the touch screens if you will be using it in very cold weather, but I don't recall why any more

What is the best lake chip right now for garmin since the Upper Midwest fishing chip is no longer available?

Sounds like LakeVu might be your best bet. I use a GPSMap78sc with Upper Midwest Fishing Info for fishing. I prefer this over my phone because it is waterproof and floats so whether it is raining or I accidentally drop it in the lake (done that a time or two) it doesn't hurt it. I also use MnTopo software for hunting and US Roads & Rec (no longer available) for driving although the other software packages have pretty good road details.