Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

MidCoast

New to archery hunting and I want a Mathews. Which bow and accessories ?

14 posts in this topic

Hey guys, 

I wanna get into archery hunting for deer.  I heard Matthews are great bows and we can't go wrong with a Matthews.  With that being said, which model is the most popular model for deer hunting and which accessories do  I need with that bow?  Are all of the accessories pretty straight forward to install on to the bow itself?

Yep listen to trav. Matthews, Hoyt, elite, PSE, bowtech are all great options- shoot them all and buy the one that feels best. 

No it's not straight forward seeing up all the components in a bow. By far your best bet is buying from an established archery shop and not a big box stores. 

I can't see where your from but if you get to Fargo I can offer suggestions on where to go. If not some of the other guys on this forum can suggest a good place for you to go depending on where you're from. 

monstermoose78 likes this

By far your best bet is buying from an established archery shop and not a big box stores. 

Best advice right there.

I love my Matthews, but they're not for everyone.  Advice above is right on.  Shoot a bunch and buy the one that feels best.  Don't get caught up in brand names at this stage of the game.  Tell them your price range and let them show you what's best in that range.  You can seriously expect to pay anywhere from $500 - $2000 (or more) for a complete set-up. 

Shoot a bunch of different brand bows in your price range . Don't worry about speed , go for comfort to start out with . 

The only thing I will recommend is Gold Tip arrows . There just great and price is bad either .

I bought my Hoyt Ultratec used on the bay. :)   2006.  still works dandy.  redid strings and cables 2 years ago. find whatever brand that feels good and go for it. 

Don't be afraid to go used either, you can get a used bow restrung and fitted at an established archery shop. Was a shop yesterday and the new Mathews was $1,100 just for the bow. I have a Mathews and when all said and done it was close to $2,000 after adding everything for the bow and arrows and cases. 

So if your buying new make sure you love it, like many said shoot the other brands you may like one better. Have fun shopping.

Only problem when a newbie buys a used bow (unless from a reputable archery shop) is it may not fit, and may not be adjustable enough to make it fit.

Again, used is fine, as long as you know it's going to fit and work for you.  One other thing I'm just thinking of, try not to go too heavy a pull weight on your first bow.  70 lbs may be great for some, but most of us will do much better with between 50 - 60 lbs.  DO NOT overbow yourself.

Buy used from a real shop. I have my old Mathews MQ and am still in love with it. A good shop will help you set up and fit for free or very cheap. 

I forget the name, but there is a nice shop in Litchfield, when I was there this fall they had a lot of inventory new and used.

15 hours ago, DonBo said:

Only problem when a newbie buys a used bow (unless from a reputable archery shop) is it may not fit, and may not be adjustable enough to make it fit.

Again, used is fine, as long as you know it's going to fit and work for you.  One other thing I'm just thinking of, try not to go too heavy a pull weight on your first bow.  70 lbs may be great for some, but most of us will do much better with between 50 - 60 lbs.  DO NOT overbow yourself.

Lots of very good advise here for sure. Donbo makes a great point about DO NOT overbow yourself. So many guys want the biggest and best and they set their bows up and practice for the max lbs. Only to find out once they have that buck in front of them after sitting in a cold stand all morning that with a little Buck fever and cold stiff muscles they can't pull the dang thing back! Or they have to make such a big move to draw it they spook the Buck or make a bad shot. :(

I was in the same situation as you this year...I heard the same thing and that you can't go wrong with a Mathews...I ended up with a Mathews Mission DT or something like that.  It was the lower end of the price range at around $450 for the bow and then once all said and done I had around $900 into after getting accessories, arrows, and tips.  Also a shooting target so probably got closer to $1000 invested and I tried to go pretty basic on most things.  It has been a learning experience and a season although unsuccessful in the meat department it still was successful in the learning part! 

Everyone here has already provided the best advice. Its apparent you're new to archery so don't get caught up in one brand just because a buddy told you that one brand is the best. Each brand has their pros and cons. Even then, some brands are really good at one thing and others are good at something else. The only way to know is to shoot a few of the bows and get a feel for it. 

Welcome to the addiction. You will not be able to set up your bow yourself, but thats ok. When you are new, there is a ton of information to learn. Ask to watch the tech at the archery shop as he sets up the bow and ask questions. Hopefully you won't drive them nuts. The point is to learn.