• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any Morson Reports?

Will be in the Nestor Falls area next week and thinking about trailering the sleds over to Morson for a day. Is there a public ramp in the town of Morson? Is there somewhere that's best to get on the lake? Do people fish reefs in the main basin close to Morson or head further to find fish? We have fished Miles bay in the past and that's a long run and hasn't been super productive for us in the past. Any help appreciated-

Just got a update on ice conditions out of morson. I was told there is some real sketchy ice out there in places. I was told there were open leads out in places that should be froze soild but there  was open water 50 yards wide in places. When this skims over it will cause some real dangerous conditions.   As of right now I don't think any ones really going out of morson.  I am still planning on going up next week and I will pass on any new info I get. 

Edited by huntercj

Just right out on the main basin in front of fishery island and over by fish narrows there could be other spots. This was on decemeber 23. With some cold weather it should freeze these spots up quickly. The guy that checked the ice walked up to  the open water.  6 inches of ice right to the edge of the open water really odd. The guy that's checking the ice has 40 plus years of guiding on the lake out of the morson area. Just wanting everyone to be safe. I am going to try and get a update on ice conditions today. I will pass on any new info I get. Good luck fishing be safe.

Made it out fishing out of morson  on Thursday. Very good going out on the lake didn't venture too far still hearing some reports of thinner ice. Out on the main basin found 9 inches in spots less where there is snow. Fishing was good plenty of fish for a fish fry. 

image.jpeg

My Dad just got back from the Morson area.  He reported 11" of ice and the fishing was good.  He also said there wasn't much traffic other than in the Hanson Bay and Musky bay (the bay Mylie's is in) areas.  He got reports from local folks that ice conditions in some areas were less than ideal and to be very careful.  Looks like cold weather is on the way though!  I'm headed up in two weeks and hoping for better conditions.

I would still use some  caution out on the lake . We ran into some slush and some cracks that were fairly wet. I even had to use my stretch rope to get my fish house out of some really bad slush. We went out about 9 miles. We were the very first people out that direction. We fished Wednesday through Sunday never seen anybody.  Heading back to morson tomorrow.

Edited by huntercj

Yea it's still bad ice in a lot of spots.  Over the 30 plus years I've been going up there, I've learned to respect it's ability to ruin my day no matter the season.  My dad only dared to travel from Hanson Bay to "the point" down the shore from Mylie's Resort.  He was considering not even going out but he saw a couple other sleds out there so he gave it a shot.  And, thanks to your posts and pics huntercj, he's fishing out of a 6 x 10 aluma-lite and loving life.  It is simply the most comfortable and convenient way to fish up there.  We've done tent style portables forever and now that I've fished out of his aluma-lite, I'm looking to upgrade.  So, you should contact the company and collect your commission check.  :)  Safe travels!

We never made it down to Morson, fished more Eastern side of Sabaskong instead. There wasn't a track out into any of the bigger basins which was a little scary....the fishing was good..we didn't see more than 7" of ice last Thursday when we were out there and lots of slush. 

Ice conditions are improving but there are still some areas that need some more time. I am out on the ice right now about 8 miles out and I got 11 inches on a tape measure.Fishing has been a little slower still getting fish. Some of the bad slush spots have froze over.

image.jpeg

Last time I was at morson a week ago there wasn't a lot of snow. I am sure I could have got around anywhere with a pickup. When i left it was very windy and there were a lot of bare spots on the lake. My buddies ski doo didn't like the low snow conditions his hot light was on even with scratchers and studs. Heading up this week will give a report .

3950.jpeg

Fished Tuesday through Saturday from Dawson to Nestor and never did see any trucks and there was no plowed road out of Hanson bay.  Not that there was enough snow to even need a plowed road assuming the ice is thick enough to drive on.  Which I am certainly not assuming.

I think we're going with snow machines and portables just to be safe.  It's been an off year for building ice and I'm not much for taking chances anymore.  I've never been east of turtle portage in the winter months.  Are there quite a few portages out east with all the narrow channels or is water current low enough for safe ice?  Also, have you found any specific lures working well for walleye this year?

Thanks for the posts guys!  Safe travels!

I was with MadMulcher this weekend. We never found ice over 12". I wouldn't be surprised if there's 12-13" now, but I certainly can't confirm. And that's no enough ice for me to drive a vehicle. Bring your wheelers or sleds. It's as easy to get around as I've ever seen.

Turtle portage through Stevens Bay is good ice. Stay away from the south navigation channel from split rock point to split rock narrows.  Rippin raps alternated between smoking hot and ice cold.  I'd say the most consistant for me was a whole salted fathead or frozen shiner presented horizontally with a jig.

2016 Canadian ice fishing kicked off for me without a hitch... well except for forgetting a couple passports at home but who doesn't do that once in a while right!  ...  crickets chirping...  stupid.  Anyway, the fishing was ok and the snowmobiling was great.  We fished off of a reef out west and found that 21 fow and gold anything was once again the top producer.  If you look closely there's a camo kid on top the rock in that pic.

Can't wait to get back up there!  Safe travels!56a76c73a86ac_Canada1-23-2016.thumb.jpg.56a76c7eb9a88_CanadaRockII1-23-16.thumb.