• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jigging for pike

Cooter

Shallow, clear lake - looking for options to tip ups.  About all i got now on the list to try is northland airplane with meat.  Got some of the big jiggin raps as well.  Anyone tried a big fluke plastic?  Got some 9" lunker city.  Fyi, gonna double post in the pike forum.....

We did the best last year with very large Swedish Pimples with shiner. Shiner worked better than suckers, and spoon worked better than just treble and minnow.

As for the "jigging" we did better when super actively jigging, ripping, with medium chubby darters or puppet minnows. They seem t like it best when it is going 100 mph rather than sitting still, or just light jigging.

This was on small clear lake, 50' max but in part of lake we were at most was about 16'-18' in area where 20' was about the deepest. I didn't try real shallow too much, but caught way more and bigger out deeper than 14' right where the crappies were hanging out.

I know lots of folks like tipups only several feet below ice, but I had best luck about half way down, about 6-8 feet where I was. Good luck!

I don't trust the hardware on any of the production tackle out there on the market. I like to use jigs, just a jig with a nice size hook gap on it.  Another lure I've had luck with was a Johnson Silverminnow! Tip it with plastic or half a minnow. 

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

I'm still a big fan of the Go Devils. They get down fast and give you great control over your presentation.

Think my next try will be setting up 2 tip ups and/or go pros and jigging between them, at the least should be able to draw some attention to the set rigs.  Was sight fishing it for gills and had 3 different pike swim by with no interest in a minnow on a smaller spoon.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

I heard there was a very nice big pike bite around Madison WI. 40" plus northerns. Any truth to the rumor?