• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Battery Tender JR for charging flasher battery

Mistermojo

I am planning to grab another 12v battery for my well documented shelter light experiment because I was hoping Marcum, in their infinite wisdom, might have put some sort of auxiliary plugs on my LX-6 so I could run the lights and flasher.  Alas, they didn't.  So I am going to need to charge both batteries and the Marcum charger doesn't have alligator clips to do a secondary battery.

My thought is to pick up a Battery Tender JR (BTJ) since that has alligator clips to charge the second battery and I could change the connectors on the spare pigtail it comes with and hook that into my LX-6, using the BTJ to charge the main battery as well.

Couple of questions:

1. If I got really creative with my wiring, can I charge both batteries at the same time?
  2. Will the BTJ work for these type of batteries
  3. Is there a product out there which will accomplish what I need it to do? Maybe a different pigtail to hook into my Marcum, etc.

Thanks,

Mojo 

Sure it does. Get an SAE 2 pole connector off hsolist and hook it up where the charger plugs in. While your at it, get a second SAE connector and make a parellel charging rig for charging multiple batteries off your marcum charger independant of the marcum unit.

OK - so would it work to just plug this: http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-081-0069-6-Terminal-Disconnect/dp/B000NCOKZQ into my marcum charging plug, and then connect the lights via alligator clip to the ring terminals?  Then I don't even need the 2nd battery, correct?

Yes you got the general idea. Take that SAE two pole extension and cut it in half. Now you have a conector for your light system and a connector for building your multi battery charging system.

Can you solder? Would make a much cleaner install if you solder and shrink tube the SAE conector to the lighting circuit wires in place of the ring terminals. Otherwise you could use barrel crimp splices and electrical tape.