• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New otter

FrontenacPike

Bought a new otter today and looking forward to assembling it on Wednesday .   Before I dig  in,  does anyone have any tips,  tricks or things they would have done differently.   Just hoping to get some experiences pointers.   

BTW...  hyfax,  tow hitch,  and cover have all been ordered.   

Thanks 

I just put together my Lodge a few weeks ago and about the only recommendations I would have if I did it again would be to trim the hyfax that insert into the front of the sled as the groves in the sled itself is too narrow to receive the hyfax. Also with the hyfax, having an allen socket for tightening those screws in would have saved me a lot of time as well, I just didn't have one small enough. The molding that connects the tent part onto the sled is way easier to install than it was on my last Clam shelter. Those individual pieces worked really good instead of one continuous piece like Clam has.

Plus + 1 on doing hyfax first before you put on the tubes and tarp which can be in the way. Also if it's a little cold have a hair dryer to warm up the hyfax a bit.

Edited by leech~~

Hyfax first will definitely be the easiest, just grab a rubber hammer and tap them into place on the front part of the sled where it is grooved for the hyfax. Once you get your first hyfax runner put into place drill out the hole and run the bolt into the hole, be sure to use the right washer as there is 2 different sizes for the bolts. Drilling the hole a hair smaller than the bolt really helps to hold the bolt in place once you screw it into the hyfax and sled, that way it wont fall out if you tip the sled over. Do your first row of bolts on your hyfax and tighten, then do the second and tighten them as well, at that point you should be able to lay the hyfax down around the bend in the tub and pre-drill all your holes. I just put together an Otter Lodge and Resort last week with all the accessories and found that was the fastest way, also the tub has pre-marked holes for your corner brackets and wind support poles which makes install very easy!

Key is using the smaller size drill bit, as seen at 1:10ish and 2:30.

The other thing I did was take the hex and clip it off using a bolt cutter, so that I could put the straight piece into a drill to power them in :) This is a HUGE help, for speed, Just set the clutch lower to the perfect setting so it won't spin.

Also, set the one end up on your tailgate and another on a chair and the height is perfect for working on. Then just flip it to put the nuts on, again using the drill for speed. Works like a charm!

I would also recommend screwing some small sheet metal screws through the plastic "slide" mounting piece after putting the fabric on. That will tend to come off at the ends from pressure over time, and just putting the screws in now will prevent it fro even starting. Just screw them through the plastic right into the tub. (Ignore if that part has been changed from the older canvas tents that I have.)

Also, put some orange or red duct tape on the hitch pins so that WHEN you drop them in the snow, in the dark ;) it will be easier to find them again! Ha! Experience talking ;)

Good luck!

Edited by BoxMN

I put together my 1st cabin a few weeks back and i took some extra time assembling the tent poles

I remembering reading how others had their poles stick while setting up or down so i removed all the burs on the ends of the poles and blew out the poles with air after drilling the self tapping screws, i found all the aluminum chips would bind up while sliding the poles, some lubricant will help make them move with very litle efert