• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Most important info on lake finder?

Bdeanpete

Since most of us are still waiting for ice, I've spent some time on the DNR lake finder page looking for lakes to explore once the water turns hard. I see many surveys are from 2008 and 2011. In looking at data that is 4-7 years old, what factors do you find most useful in determining if that particular lake is one you're excited about?  There is a lot of information on these surveys and I'd like to hear what you find most useful. 

When I look at them I usually look mostly at the surveys and secondarily at the maps.

From the surveys the most important info that I look for is species of fish in the lake, the relative abundance of the species, and the general size structure.  This tells me what species is best to target.   Then I move to the maps or to the Navionics app to look for likely areas to target the selected species of fish.

from the lake our cabin is on I've noticed a few things.  The size structure is not accurate and if I were to look at another lake I'd check out walleye stocking if that's what you're after.  Our lake is done every other year and has been for quite a while.  Great walleye fishing and I'm sure this contributes to the natural reproduction.  

The size structure isn't accurate because in 15 years 75% of walleyes caught are 21-24 inches and DNR reports isn't even close to that.  I'd guess we catch 2-300 walleyes a year most years from May til end of August.  Don't ice fish it much.

This summer the test net the DNR had was near the landing and also in a spot I have never fished in 30 plus years.

Edited by leechlake

When looking at a survey or map of a new lake there are a few things I like to consider. One is the size structure of the fish in the lake. That is not only in reference to pike, but also panfish. I then look at the types of baitfish in the lake. And finally the water clarity. If the lake only has a disk rating if 2' the odds of being able to see any fish are slim. 

I then look at the map. I'm looking for how much 8-10' water is in the lake. On my navionics app I have highlighted a "safe zone" of 6-10' because that's what I want to spear. 

In the end water clarity can change from year to year. So you need to check it out and have a back up plan when you go. 

I keep it simple similar to what NG said water clarity ill change from year to year so I don't put any stock in that.  Isually just look at the pike population and size structure of pike, also the age to because if its 20 years old again don't put a lot of stock in it.

I spend a lot of time on Lake Finder since I babysit during the day.

I look first at lake size and depth then at fish populations. If any of this catches my eye I read the information in the bottom section that tells the time of year the survey was taken, or if the lake has had changes from past years. Populations of select species trending up or down? Privately stocked in addition to DNR?

Finally its all just a starting point. Largemouth bass for instance are one specie that doesn't show up well in surveys.