• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mr Piliated

eyeguy 54

We have a least two pairs of Pileated's around our place.  And all four varieties of ladder-back woodpeckers. They start small and get bigger and bigger. The largest is almost the size of a blue jay. And about 50 each chickadees, nuthatches, buntings etc. Crows stay away.  Couple owls behind the house most nights. And of course our little pals the red foxes. And the deer which sometimes,   when snow is deep, come right up on our front deck to steal birdfood!

We have a least two pairs of Pileated's around our place.  And all four varieties of ladder-back woodpeckers. They start small and get bigger and bigger. The largest is almost the size of a blue jay. And about 50 each chickadees, nuthatches, buntings etc. Crows stay away.  Couple owls behind the house most nights. And of course our little pals the red foxes. And the deer which sometimes,   when snow is deep, come right up on our front deck to steal birdfood!

Where the heck do you live?

Thanks Eye Guy, I'll have to pay closer attention going forward.. They are great birds !!  My experience over the years is the higher up in the tree you can get your suet basket, and the bigger the tree, the faster they will develop a comfort level.  The birds in my area seem to prefer real suet chunks vs. the small commercial cakes. 

The birds in my area seem to prefer real suet chunks vs. the small commercial cakes. 

Oh, absolutely!  I've saved the fat from all my deer, and they seem to like that much better than the cakes.