• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Aldi?

And YES - bring your own bags!  Part of their cost savings model is low overhead - you gotta do a little bit of the work- it's not that bags are that expensive but bag boys and girls are.  They scan your stuff and take your money - but you do the bagging.  Go into any ALDI and the only employees you'll see are 1-3 cashiers and the occasional stock person. There's no deli or bakery counter and all meat is pre-packaged. Most of the merchandise is still in-cartons and on skids or pre-assembeld cardboard POP displays I bet their HR overhead is 75% less than any grocery store.

Ha, Ms  food snob PB always makes fun of me for going there. Interesting info on the trader Joe connection. Will have to share that little tidbit with her......bet some of the same sources with different labels.

Don't mention the source, just do the cookin!:D If all is good --no questions ask.:D

My wife had a coupon deal for Aldi where she needed to spend a certain dollar amount so she bought a bunch of fresh fruit, veggies, and bread.  We were lucky to maybe eat half the items before they went bad.  I'm talking moldy bread within 2 days, rotten fruit in a couple of days etc.  Nothing lasted more than 3 days or so.  We will buy staple items there but nothing fresh.  My theory is they are so cheap on fruits and veggies because they buy them from some other place that got rid of them because they are not fresh anymore - but that is only my opinion and is not based upon any facts other than personal experience. 

kids like getting veggies and fruit there. no problems and nice pricing. 25 cents for a cart that is refundable, no visa and 10 cents for plastic bags I found out. lol   rookie aldis shopper here.

I was in the newer one in Rochester the other day.  They now take credit cards.  At least the ones here do. 

Edited by delcecchi

Those that shop there will figure out what is best for them! I like certain things! Others won't.

Everyone make their own choice.

Certain things I like, that's what's great about food choice.:D

I  Don't like Lutefisk, Give me sauerkraut.:D  

I was in the newer one in Rochester the other day.  They now take credit cards.  At least the ones here do. 

Huh! I just came from the OTHER one.....over in Del land! Girl told guy "Cash or debit only".... Awful small store; not much in this one. Lotsa snacks.... DID notice the mushrooms were a "product of Holland" though. :P

Whenever I'm going to smoke up a big batch of chicken wings and thighs I always get them at ALDIs.  Cheapest price around and as far as I can tell they're every bit as good as any other chicken I buy at CUB or Sam's.

I went last night and checked it out.  Kind of pathetic frankly, I went and checked out a grocery store like it was a UFO that had crashed.  Oh well.  

I guess I was pretty into it because first thing I noticed is that it is right next to the RR tracks.  I assume that keeps cost of property down, step one in selling stuff cheap.  I walked in and Aldi bags were free.  I didn't need a cart because I was on a scouting mission with nothing in particular I needed.  The place seemed like a mix between a really small town grocery store and a miniature costco.  I bought three things for the heck of it to try, $7.49 cents for a bag of tortillas, 1/2 gallon of ice cream and a frozen pizza.  I'm guessing that's about $15 if I was at target and bought the normal brands I buy.  Chips were good but certainly not tostitos, vanilla bean ice cream was good, I would compare it to Kemps or some other average ice cream, daughter and I had pizza for dinner and it was good.  I'm thinking over time we will run into some turds but I could easily see for many items it will be the way to go.  It is close to our house too which makes the convenience factor awesome.  It's almost closer than Target in Medina and the smaller parking lot and small size of store appeals to me.

I'm careful ever since I was in the south one a few years ago and something, milk or eggs, was past sell by date.  I told cashier that stuff was expired.  She just said OK.  your total is xxxx.

Were you wearing your UFF DA hat? That might have been part of the reason. :grin:

I go to my local Aldis (Crystal) quite a bit when I just need to pick up a few items.  They have 4 packs of Brioche Hamburger buns that are very good.  Try them.  This store usually has BB Ribs for $2.99 everyday price.  Package says all USA product.  Have smoked them and they are just fine.  Also good selection of fancy cheeses (again think Trader Joes).  Milk & egg prices are good.  Is this a store I'll go do a two week stopping spree through?  Probably not, but for what I use it for, its great.  This one does also take credit cards.  I carry in a big bag I bought there and just put my items direct in there, up to the check out and back in the bag.  No need for the quarter cart.

Edited by Leaky