• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mixing Gas

ClownColor

First, what the H auger do you have with a 1 gal tank on it?

Second and the easiest. Go inside and give the guy from Pakistan a $1.89 or what ever one gal is at this secret "ice Auger" gas only gas station and tell him your on # 5, he will shut it off right at a gal. ;)

Hope this helps and relax! I've been using burnable gas in my augers from any station I pull up to for ever and have never burn a motor!

First, what the H auger do you have with a 1 gal tank on it?

Second and the easiest. Go inside and give the guy from Pakistan a $1.89 or what ever one gal is at this secret "ice Auger" gas only gas station and tell him your on # 5, he will shut it off right at a gal. ;)

Hope this helps and relax! I've been using burnable gas in my augers from any station I pull up to for ever and have never burn a motor!

actually Leech, the auger only holds probably 1/10  gallon of gas. I have to fill a gas container first...at least what I'm told, then I pour mixed gas from gas can into tank? Maybe I'm not doing it right? Is it easier to mix gas/oil in auger? GREAT tip on having guy shut pump off at 1 gallon, that saves a bug headache.

Edited by ClownColor

Do you have your helmet on?

Interesting...is this because of the possibility of explosion? 

All great tips thus far, keep them coming.... This will keep me occupied while I wait for ice.

Edited by ClownColor

back thirty years ago I worked at a gas station.  Two of us worked our rear off at rush hour times with the place was packed.  Gas was probably 75 cents a gallon so the wheel spun a bit slower than it usually does these days.  We called it the "one click club" when you could stop the pump right on the $10 mark or whatever people asked.  We also had that auto feature where they could program the pump inside but we only did that when we were super busy, only a hack needs something like that.  That's like putting leeches on with a pliars for heaven's sake.

I assume you are augering deck footings with the "ice" conditions.  I also assume you don't have one of the new fangled safety cans because gas never comes out of them anyway so I figure why put it in.  Good luck and stay safe.

I sincerely hope the initial post is satire!

Matt-

With only 4 posts, I can only assume you are new here and haven't heard how hard it is to mix gas nowadays. Things have changed in 2 cycle motors. I spent good money on an aguer and don't want to mess it up. Thanks to your uncle, Al, I was able to use the internet to help find a procedure on doing so.

Matt-

With only 4 posts, I can only assume you are new here and haven't heard how hard it is to mix gas nowadays. Things have changed in 2 cycle motors. I spent good money on an aguer and don't want to mess it up. Thanks to your uncle, Al, I was able to use the internet to help find a procedure on doing so.

ClownColor, since Matt is new and you don't know who he is or what border he may have just come across. Do you think it wise to have your GPS cord's listed right on your Avatar? Kind of pinpointing where to send the next one. If you know what I mean? :(

But, I'm sure Matt is a really a nice guy, if that's his real name? ;)

Edited by leech~~

Lucky for you Clown they do sell premix anti-freeze so when you come to needing some of that it will not be as hard as the mixing oil adventure. Up my ways we don't mix just a gallon but we make five gallons at a time. Of course getting it into the one gallon cans with out spilling and using the no spill spouts can be a problem.  :mad: but it is a hot seller with the tourists!

UPDATE: I mixed 100:1 Amsoil today. Really wish I would have read the tidbit about adding oil before gas. Wasn't sure how well it would mix so I used a paint mixer with my lithium ion battery drill. time will tell if it's mixed well enough for use...fingers crossed.

On a side note, anyone know how often I have to remix/stir the oil? will it settle to the bottom of the gas or does oil float on gas?

It gums up without Stabil, but then the Stabil breaks down and you have to add Seafoam. My Ion needs charging but I threw away the instructions for that , anybody know anything about these plugins with a thick side and a thin side? Will the battery explode if I do them in an older wall socket that had two slots the same size?  

You guys are over thinking the mixing issue. Once you have the gas dumped into the oil, or oil dumped into the gas, both ways work for me, just toss your can into the back of the truck and go for a ride on a bumpy road. Walla, gas mixed!! Make sure you put some of that 'soak up the oil' stuff in the back of your truck too, because if your can is like mine it leaks like a sieve around the spout. 

While you're at it, you might as well mix up 2-2.5 gallons worth, you can use it in your chain saw. Now is prime time to get out and cut some wood since you can't ice fish. Plus you have the added bonus of working off some of that holiday flab so your wife will want you!!!

Any leftover mixed gas can be used for boy scout water next spring, for use in starting your campfires. Just in case their are any rookie boy scout water users around, you may want to mix some of your used motor oil with it, it tends to get a little 'hot' if you use it straight.

Any more problems need to be solved before the ice cometh??

The mention of a chainsaw reminds me of an old story. When I was younger I worked in a general store and we sold a little of everything including chainsaws. Well this guy came in looking to buy a chainsaw right at closing time. I didn't really have a lot of time to walk him through it but he seemed like he had a idea about how to cut wood as he told me he wanted to cutup about ten cord over the weekend. Well he bought the saw that I told him would have no problem cutting up ten cord in a weekend and a way he went.  Come Monday when I got to the store the guy was there with the chainsaw and he was pretty tired looking . Before I could put the key in the lock he was ragged on me how I sold him a worthless saw and how it took him all weekend just to cut one cord. Well I picked up the saw and he followed me out back where we have a pile of logs and I started the saw on the very first pull, The guy looked at me and said "what's that noise?"

It gums up without Stabil, but then the Stabil breaks down and you have to add Seafoam. My Ion needs charging but I threw away the instructions for that , anybody know anything about these plugins with a thick side and a thin side? Will the battery explode if I do them in an older wall socket that had two slots the same size?  

first thing I did when I bought my electric auger was to break off the bottom, rounded prong on the plug receptacle. That way you can plug it into more outlets and it charges faster.

UPDATE: I mixed 100:1 Amsoil today. Really wish I would have read the tidbit about adding oil before gas. Wasn't sure how well it would mix so I used a paint mixer with my lithium ion battery drill. time will tell if it's mixed well enough for use...fingers crossed.

On a side note, anyone know how often I have to remix/stir the oil? will it settle to the bottom of the gas or does oil float on gas?

What I really like about using my 20V lithium drill when mixing gas is it has a nice light on the front in case it's a little dark out like on the lake. And when it's really dark the sparks coming off the brush's light up pretty well also and can be a help at times. :)

Hawg, you better call a certified electrician to get that charged! Also, when he is there, make sure he addresses all of your electrical needs, such as making sure your brake light fluid is topped off in your truck!

CC -I have a Nils auger and you can I guess run 100:1 but some guy on this forum said the margin of error is slim at that rate so I think he runs 75 or 80.  If you are not sure how well its mixed start over-you waste a few bucks so what? Also if you have too much oil you might foul a plug (at 80:1 doughtful) too little oil and you fry an engine.