• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

No Sleding reports from out West at least?

leech~~

Looking at this photo that MN Mike posted a while back day dreaming of how great it would be to be there. I wonder if the guy with the shortest track in town has "penis envy" of the guys with the longest tracks when they come through town! :D

full-623-27751-cookea.jpg

MAN....I hope this isn't going to be a year where we sit back and reminisce about ' the good old days! ', this is sucking for sure!  We have local lakes here that still haven't froze over....... give me some sign of WINTER..... PLEASE!

I've been watching the videos from out west and its been just as bad out there too with the exception of a few places but over all it's not good yet.

That Video was from last Sunday ( LuLu Pass Trail, Rasta Chutes, Henderson Mountain ), this week they picked up 2 more feet of wet heavy snow, it's looking better but they need that much snow to bury stumps, rocks, dead falls and all that good stuff.

Plans are to be out there in about 1 month, hopefully that's enough time to make it look like THIS! ;) ( Jan 2014 )deep.thumb.jpg.b204ce469826870963ef2413b

I've got one, maybe 2 newby mountain riders coming with this year, should be fun! I also have a new ride I got to put a few miles on last spring on Lake of the Woods Ice Fishing.

m8000.thumb.jpg.8f0d1b6cc3a7571b8d1fd66b

Theres a new Webcam available this year from Cooke City that's going to provide some good info, this is located in the back country, must be uploading via satellite, I don't know of any cell service available in this spot. We go past this cabin every year, it's an awesome area to get to early before everyone gets out there and pounds it flat ( THATS MY JOB :D )

The 3 peaks and 2 passes in the back ground are Henderson Mtn, Daisy Pass, Crown Butte, Bull of the Woods pass and Miller Mtn..... awesome stuff. Basically the backside of those peaks takes you back to Cooke

abundancecabin.thumb.jpg.2f4257ad693829c

Hope to hear some fresh reports soon, I know some guys are chomping at the bit to get out west, I'm waiting just like you LEECH!!!

Mike

A bit late, and not out west, but made a mini run on the north shore trail last Saturday with LoonASea. 

Trail was a bit bumpy and lots of snow-laden trees hanging over the trail. Gonna take some time and cold to make it better. Ended up hitting a long stretch of mud and flowing water over the tail just south of highway 2 so we turned around there. Only about 40 miles but the first ride of the season is in the books. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Nope, just from the parking lot north of Jean Duluth up to Hwy 2 by two harbors. Woods are beautiful but all the heavy snow really messed up the trail.  Some sections were only wide enough for one sled to get thru the downed brush. 

33 minutes ago, Xplorer said:

Nope, just from the parking lot north of Jean Duluth up to Hwy 2 by two harbors. Woods are beautiful but all the heavy snow really messed up the trail.  Some sections were only wide enough for one sled to get thru the downed brush. 

Ok, well keep packing it down for us! Hope to be up there soon.:)

Got the day off today so I decided to ride before the bottom fell out of the thermometer,,,Hit the NSST and with the fresh snow we got the trails were in dang good condition ,,,Only seen 7 other sleds on the trails and put 129 miles on the sled 

I need to do some reading so I can post pics off my phone 

3 hours ago, LoonASea said:

The trails sure were scenic

20160108_133849.jpg

20160108_133547.jpg

There they are, long time coming. Don't you get a little lonely riding by yourself? :(

We need to start throwing out some dates for a group ride up there soon. Trainwreck is a waiten! :P

1 hour ago, LoonASea said:

I'll keep you posted Walleyehooker ,,,I didnt have any advance notice to give you ,,but maybe next time ??

Do you have any miles on your sled yet??

I forgot to add my new addition I got at Pawn America for $30,,,, Garmin Nuvi with trail maps 

20160108_133904.jpg

Ya let me know. So far I have backed the machine off of the trailer into the garage. I do go out and start it up once in a while and listen to it run though. lol  Great deal on the Garmin!!!

On 1/8/2016 at 9:24 PM, leech~~ said:

Mike, Mike are you out there yet? We need some new snow hope pictures! :)

I was working on it for you guys :D

12 of us headed to Cooke last Wednesday, awesome traveling weather both ways.

We had 3 new guys with that had never been to Cooke before and they provided some good entertainment. Snow conditions were less than ideal but getting stuck was common. With the snow conditions and a new sled, I felt I was back to riding 101, my first Mtn sled with air shocks and it took a few tries to get it dialed in but by Friday i was getting pretty comfortable with it but I'll need more practice in Cooke :grin:

Took the crew back into the Sheep Creek area to show them some pretty gnarly stuff, then we got the heck out of there, definitely not the place you want to have newbies learn how to ride but its a place to see if you can get back in there.

Forgot to carry my camera on Thursday so i had to rely on my buddies son for a couple pics, on the second one you can see the clouds stuck in the valley and it was THICK when you drove through it.

V__F268.thumb.jpg.c968b159c25c8779b2e1bcV__3C8C.thumb.jpg.94a4ed1b591409c534f3d1

Believe it or not, there's a M8000 in them thar trees ( not me! ), took some work ( and man power ) to get him out of there it was STEEP!

InTreessmall.thumb.png.6090ba82ee1a56a4d

intreessmall2.thumb.png.031d1c3837f07087

Looking down from where he was stuck.....

valleysnow.thumb.png.e5eba9099d0f28bb0aevalleysnow2.thumb.png.936d384ea7bf448aee

After that workout and a few others before we got out of this valley, it was time to do some cooking!

cooking2.thumb.png.617fda53bc2d5ada9faf9cooking.thumb.png.9d7ddae0f49b9b09338002

Then it was on to some more playing.... theres a sled in the middle of this next picture near the top ..... upside down

stuckonscotch.thumb.png.3168286024385826

scotch.thumb.png.96bf0804fd58c71b452cfa4

It was a good trip and everyone was pretty tired so we skipped the last 1/2 day of riding and headed for home, hopefully we'll be back in late March if they get lots more snow.

Left the parking lot near Cooke at about 25 above, got home to 30 BELOW! but we had 7 more inches of snow than when we left, so that was better ;)

Mike

Edited by MN Mike

3 of us pulled the trigger mid week last week and headed west to Cooke City on Thursday morning, rode all day Friday and all day Saturday and we were back home by 6 pm Sunday night......... FAST Trip!!....... but well worth it.

Had a cousin meet us in Cooke Saturday morning for a day of riding, he was chomping at the bit to do some cornice drops.

Friday morning and Saturday morning greeted us with -14 temps but it was pretty comfortable by 11 am and the snow was getting pretty sticky by late afternoon on Saturday when the temps were pushing the upper 30's and 40's, especially the south facing slopes.

Apparently we weren't the only ones that had the idea to ride the new snow in Cooke, the town started filling up Friday night and by Saturday, it was BUSY!........ pretty much like the pic at the top of this thread. Restaurants were running out of food, I heard a couple were down to burgers and frozen pizza.

There was a good solid 75" base or better with some places having a foot of new powder, it was really fun and setup just right.

Ran into a little snow storm just north of Cody, Wy on the Chief Joseph Scenic Highway....... always a good sign!

cjsh.thumb.png.5a15d735f6ec3e44ca90dff14

cjsh1.thumb.png.b3f4d6ae615256ce44533e33

Had 2 solid days of nice sunshine, that always helps the riding and being able to read the terrain.

daiseypass.thumb.png.24da65fa8b939050ac5

drdrift.thumb.png.b9e43400fc71c87b9b8851

fishercreek.thumb.png.8e57a8f640c76f6650

fishercreekvalley.thumb.png.ec987fef1b34photoshot.thumb.png.52ce25a7ea748e8e65c7

tannerdrop.thumb.png.6aee7e8a0791d97e157

tannerhenderson.thumb.png.6217d493e9ea26henderson.thumb.png.7fba9234e540d2238ebb

Cooke is getting more snow this week! Looks like it could add up to much more than a foot in the high country.......It should be pretty good riding for a few weeks to come!!!

cookeforecastmarch.thumb.png.84aa4fc05d1

While we were standing on top of the mountain in that last pic I posted, I received a text that a good friend had passed away at home that morning, he was only 60, he rode Cooke City with us back in 2001, we talked about him and that trip on the way out the day before he passed away.

Keep the track side down and THANKS for the memories friend!

swick.png.6857f29bdc1b405bf92a41c00ac3cc

Edited by MN Mike

Looks like a fun time Mike. :)

I'm sure the town was winding down on ordering to much food thinking the season was coming to an end. They may have been pretty happy to unload the last bit of "freezer burned" old stuff in the back of the Frig & freezer they had been sitting on all season for you guys!  :P

P.s sorry to hear about your friend passing always a sad deal. :(

Edited by leech~~