• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spearable ice...

Neighbor_guy

Well, how sad is it that it's come down to this...

Please post up if you find spearable conditions on your favorite body of water. If you don't want to put specific lakes that's fine, but at the very least let us know what area of the state you find yourself in at the time. Maybe toss out a picture or two of what you found as well. 

We know that as of last week the Get-to-gator was on the 3rd River flowage on Winni. They are claiming to still have 5" of ice, but it's getting sketchy. 

I called up to LOW and they have no spear shacks out in the areas I normally go, zipple, Bostic, and 4mile are all open water at the moment. 

Here at home I have this...

image.thumb.jpeg.ab68974e64a600c2d974c0fimage.thumb.jpeg.31c527dee644c6cfcecaa9b

you can see the hole I pulled it from. 2" thick, 1" of cloudy junk and 1" of "good" ice. Or it was once, now it's all honeycombed. Didn't take much to chip through with the chisel and very soft. 

Based on the forecast not looking good for some time. 

I no longer have ice here at the house. There is some floating out there. But it would take a big heave with a big daredevil to get to it. 

I did did here a rumor of spearable ice in the millacs area... But could not confirm it. 

Dixons is no longer allowing 4 wheelers on the ice and are down to 4" of ice

I was up visiting my folks on Kabetogama last weekend and was hoping Tom Cod bay was solid enough for a quick trip out with a spear in hand. The rain and warmth from the previous week seriously diminished the ice quality to the point that I decided against it.  As anxious as I am to get out, I don't want to go swimming for them. 

I set tip ups on 3" yesterday afternoon. Considered the spear shack... Not sure about cutting that big hole in 3" of ice. 

I have tomorrow off for the first time in 10 years. Might be tempted to find an early ice spot. 

Have a trip planed for goose's birthday to my folks place on LOW. We are going to run tip ups and a spear shack on Bostic bay or Zipple bay depending on ice. 

So, I'm thinking about making a quick run in the northerly direction looking for a spot to spear with my hub shelter this Saturday. Does anyone have a hint on how far of a jaunt this would be from the cities?  I'm not looking for a specific lake, more of a general idea about where the line might be for "decent" ice so I don't waste a bunch of time seeking ice in the wrong locale.  

Any help would be appreciated. 

There are some lakes around Princeton that are hitting the 4 inch mark. Sunday looks like it will be chilly and a great day to make some ice, so I can finally hit the hard water. I need to go check a few other lakes and see what is going on, but with Christmas and the pup it is not as easy to just run and check. 

Also I am going to have a get together for members it would be nice to see some of you guys there as well. It will be at Green Lake in Isanti County which is just south of Highway 95 between Princeton and Cambridge it will be at 9 am. I am praying we have some ice to get people out fishing. As some of you know it is not very far out to find a great weed edge in Green to set up a spear shack. 

Stopped at the bait shop in Starbuck yesterday. Larry said 3-5" on the Glenwood end of Minnewaska. I went to a lake just west of Alex that had 7.5" on a bay that never opened up, no one really ventured on to the new ice except one snowmobile. Was a couple guys on Oscar but I didn't stop to check the ice I'm guessing 3-4". Was going to check clarity on Red Rock but there was a lot of slushy/open spots so I didn't venture out. Tuesday I went to a lake north of Morris and was sitting on 4.75".

There are some lakes around Princeton that are hitting the 4 inch mark. Sunday looks like it will be chilly and a great day to make some ice, so I can finally hit the hard water. I need to go check a few other lakes and see what is going on, but with Christmas and the pup it is not as easy to just run and check. 

Also I am going to have a get together for members it would be nice to see some of you guys there as well. It will be at Green Lake in Isanti County which is just south of Highway 95 between Princeton and Cambridge it will be at 9 am. I am praying we have some ice to get people out fishing. As some of you know it is not very far out to find a great weed edge in Green to set up a spear shack. 

Havent figured my weekend out yet but if I'm around I'll be there.