Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Neighbor_guy

Spearable ice...

29 posts in this topic

Well, how sad is it that it's come down to this...

Please post up if you find spearable conditions on your favorite body of water. If you don't want to put specific lakes that's fine, but at the very least let us know what area of the state you find yourself in at the time. Maybe toss out a picture or two of what you found as well. 

We know that as of last week the Get-to-gator was on the 3rd River flowage on Winni. They are claiming to still have 5" of ice, but it's getting sketchy. 

I called up to LOW and they have no spear shacks out in the areas I normally go, zipple, Bostic, and 4mile are all open water at the moment. 

Here at home I have this...

image.thumb.jpeg.ab68974e64a600c2d974c0fimage.thumb.jpeg.31c527dee644c6cfcecaa9b

you can see the hole I pulled it from. 2" thick, 1" of cloudy junk and 1" of "good" ice. Or it was once, now it's all honeycombed. Didn't take much to chip through with the chisel and very soft. 

Based on the forecast not looking good for some time. 

mwal and MJ1657 like this

Up until today you could have speared many lakes in the Grand Rapids/Deer RIver area... And then it rained. I don't know how much damage it did, but RAIN... in DECEMBER.

Very annoyed today. I might have to change my name to pikedaydreamer...

I have seen rain on 2 separate occasions up there on new years weekend.:(

At least you have ice, we have waves lapping at the shore. I have been thinking the boat should come back out, I need to do something usefull

MJ1657 and mwal like this

Most of it around my place disappeared yesterday.

It's still early sooner or later it will happen. 

mwal likes this

pretty sad when the lure of choice is a daredevil or lindy rig instead of a decoy!!!!!!!!!!!:cry::crazy: on dec 11th!!!!!

Edited by smurfy
mwal likes this

Cold weather is on its way. 

The sky is not falling after all! 

I no longer have ice here at the house. There is some floating out there. But it would take a big heave with a big daredevil to get to it. 

I did did here a rumor of spearable ice in the millacs area... But could not confirm it. 

Dixons is no longer allowing 4 wheelers on the ice and are down to 4" of ice

All 5 lakes that I see on my way to work in the east metro had waves this morning. The 10 day forecast looks terrible for Shoreview. i see some teens in the near future for the Harris area though.

Looking ugly I was hoping by Jan 1 but that is looking like a dream right now

mwal likes this

Not spearable but the lakes around my place locked up overnight. Things are looking up.

jvm1 likes this

We're making ice by my house too! :grin:

At least the water's still clear!

20151218_122955_resized.jpg

MJ1657 likes this

I was up visiting my folks on Kabetogama last weekend and was hoping Tom Cod bay was solid enough for a quick trip out with a spear in hand. The rain and warmth from the previous week seriously diminished the ice quality to the point that I decided against it.  As anxious as I am to get out, I don't want to go swimming for them. 

Neighbor_guy and MJ1657 like this

I have next Wednesday off I might take a drive to find some decent ice to spear, I don't think I could forgive myself if I don't spear until after the 1st of the year.

I set tip ups on 3" yesterday afternoon. Considered the spear shack... Not sure about cutting that big hole in 3" of ice. 

I have tomorrow off for the first time in 10 years. Might be tempted to find an early ice spot. 

Have a trip planed for goose's birthday to my folks place on LOW. We are going to run tip ups and a spear shack on Bostic bay or Zipple bay depending on ice. 

monstermoose78, mwal and Bdeanpete like this

So, I'm thinking about making a quick run in the northerly direction looking for a spot to spear with my hub shelter this Saturday. Does anyone have a hint on how far of a jaunt this would be from the cities?  I'm not looking for a specific lake, more of a general idea about where the line might be for "decent" ice so I don't waste a bunch of time seeking ice in the wrong locale.  

Any help would be appreciated. 

There are some lakes around Princeton that are hitting the 4 inch mark. Sunday looks like it will be chilly and a great day to make some ice, so I can finally hit the hard water. I need to go check a few other lakes and see what is going on, but with Christmas and the pup it is not as easy to just run and check. 

Also I am going to have a get together for members it would be nice to see some of you guys there as well. It will be at Green Lake in Isanti County which is just south of Highway 95 between Princeton and Cambridge it will be at 9 am. I am praying we have some ice to get people out fishing. As some of you know it is not very far out to find a great weed edge in Green to set up a spear shack. 

MJ1657 likes this

Stopped at the bait shop in Starbuck yesterday. Larry said 3-5" on the Glenwood end of Minnewaska. I went to a lake just west of Alex that had 7.5" on a bay that never opened up, no one really ventured on to the new ice except one snowmobile. Was a couple guys on Oscar but I didn't stop to check the ice I'm guessing 3-4". Was going to check clarity on Red Rock but there was a lot of slushy/open spots so I didn't venture out. Tuesday I went to a lake north of Morris and was sitting on 4.75".

MJ1657 likes this

There are some lakes around Princeton that are hitting the 4 inch mark. Sunday looks like it will be chilly and a great day to make some ice, so I can finally hit the hard water. I need to go check a few other lakes and see what is going on, but with Christmas and the pup it is not as easy to just run and check. 

Also I am going to have a get together for members it would be nice to see some of you guys there as well. It will be at Green Lake in Isanti County which is just south of Highway 95 between Princeton and Cambridge it will be at 9 am. I am praying we have some ice to get people out fishing. As some of you know it is not very far out to find a great weed edge in Green to set up a spear shack. 

Havent figured my weekend out yet but if I'm around I'll be there.

monstermoose78 likes this

I'm set up on a lake about 15min from home that I duck hunt on a lot. Close to 4". Enough to walk out and cut a spear hole anyway. Haven't seen anything but it's good to be out. 

I just want to ask that each of us take the time as we start venturing out on these lakes to remember our public image. Like it or not spear fishing is not always looked at in a positive light. If each of us does our part to keep the lakes clean. Police up our trash and mark our holes when we leave it will surely help. Spear shacks in general are away from other fisherman so the least we can do is keep "our" area of the lakes clean. 

I am sitting here in a small lake between Princeton and Isanti. On my walk out here I have picked up 2 empty 1lb propane cans. And there are dozens of beer bottles both broken and unbroken scattered all over the lake. There hasn't been fish able ice for more than a week and the lakes already look like this. 

really???????? already.:mad::mad: man that torks me when people leave garbage on the lakes. things happen but that much already. Grrrrrr!