• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A little holiday cooking today

Heres the recipe I use

6 pounds of ground ham and pork butt  50/50  Some people also use hamburger

1 1/2 cups of white rice

Garlic  Salt  Pepper or any other spices to taste

Sour cabbage heads  A little hard to find in Minneapolis but Bobs produce has them

Have heard of people freezing a cabbage head and thawing it out to get the leaves limp and maybe add sour kraut for more flavor.

Another twist is some people add tomato juice or tomato sauce for a little different flavor

I use 20 pounds of meat and 3 sour heads to make 75-80 of them

We always thought pigs in blanket were hot dog in crescent roll dough baked.

That's what I thought, too. My wife used to make those and called 'em cabbage rolls.....and usually put a thick tomato paste with basil and spices over them. No matter what ya call 'em, they're good!

Oh man, Sarma; one of my favorite meals of all-time!  I've never ventured to try it in my own kitchen - mostly because my wife and kids would never stop complaining about the beautiful sweat-sock like odor that only true lovers of that kind of cuisine can appreciate.  And I'd be the only one who eats it--so maybe I'll have to down-size the recipe and add it to the long list of "Things to make when the wife and kids aren't home."  Unfortunately (for my stomach, at least) that's a rare thing and that list is getting LONG!