• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Central MN options

MNCPRGUY

I am looking for some ideas and new lakes to explore this winter.  Not looking for your hot spot and will do my own research on lakefinder.   What I am hoping for is to narrow down my search based on personal experiences from members here.  If you prefer to send by PM rather than post,  that's fine.   I live in Rochester and our immediate options are walk-on only reservoirs.   I have a heavier portable and am primarily setup for ATV type portability.   It doesn't look like we are going to have stable ice in the South anytime soon,  and it doesn't look like my usual treks to URL and Devils Lake are in the cards this year.   So,  what I am looking for are:

1) Lakes within 2 hours driving from Rochester.   Thinking central MN. 

2) ATV access is a must

3) I prefer less populated.   Only accessible by ATV would be ideal. 

4) Likely taking a teen who has never fished (but desperately wants to learn) with me.   Species and size are not as important as numbers,  but I don't want to spend all day chasing dinks.

5) Lodging close by.   Don't need a resort or excess amenities but something close by if we fish late and/or decide to make it an overnighter. 

6)  I have looked at Waubay area.  It's a bit further than I am thinking but not ruling it out either.   Haven't found a ton of info on it related to my "wants" above. 

Thanks for reading and please let me know know if anything comes to mind.   Would also love to hear from any of you with similar interests that would like to explore together. 

Thanks in Advance! 

I am north of 2 hour mark. Your list is hard to come by even if you went in the extreme northern part of the state. The issue is 2 hours north of you puts you around the Metro. I know of some great numbers lakes but you will be dealing with numbers of people. I think using an atv this winter will might be the only way to get way out on some of the bigger lakes. I know things can change fast, but some of the bigger lakes around me are not even locked up. I hope this winter lessens some pressure on the lakes around me. I will let ya know when we get enough ice for atvs around my area