• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Time for a smoke

12 hours ago, delcecchi said:

Yeah, three weeks seems longer than typical..

Yep your right, usually 2 weeks but work got busy so it went for 3. From what I understand about a month is the limit.

It's Pops brine that RH1 posted.

Pop’s real simple curing brine:

For every 1 gallon of water, add:

1/3 - 1 cup sea salt (depending if you're on a lo-salt diet)

1 cup granulated sugar 

1 cup brown sugar 

1 tbsp cure no. 1 pink salt

stir thoroughly until clear amber color, pour over meat, inject if necessary to cure from inside-out as well as outside-in

weight down with a partially filled 1 qt or 1 gal. ziploc bag or bags to keep meat immersed

Curing times vary with meat, but generally overnight to 2-3 days for chickens and turkeys, 8-10 days buckboard bacon, 10-14 days belly bacon, pork shoulder, whole butts, 3-4 weeks whole hams, 10-20 days corned beef (fresh beef roasts, briskets, rolled rib roasts, etc.)   If whole muscle is more than 2" thick, then inject so it can cure i/o as well as o/i, and/or in and around bone structures, etc.

You can add any other flavorings you'd like, this is just the basic curing brine. 1 heaping tablespoon of cure is about 1 ounce.  The maximum concentration allowed safely is 3.84 ounces per 1 gallon of brine (24 lbs.per 100 gallons: 16 oz. x 24 = 384 ounces, 1/100th is 3.84 ounces).  You can experiment with different concentrations as long as you keep it between those parameters:

Yep that's pops brine alright, you can tell how the pieces shriveled up. Pops is a good brine but I've switched to dry brine and get very little shrinkage or curling on sliced bellies. Pops sure is the way to go for Canadian though.

Edited by bobberineyes

Well... Monday was another smoke day. Trimmed up and seasoned a 14# packer brisket Sunday night and threw it on at 4 am Monday. 13 hrs later I was cutting it up. I ran at 185 deg for the first 9 hrs until IT reached 160. Then wrapped and bumped smoker temp up to 225. Sprayed the roast with apple juice and Worcester mixture Every hr until I wrapped it. Pulled the works off at 195 and put in the cooler to rest for an hr. Would have liked to have rested the meat longer, but ran out of time. It turned out good, but wasn’t quite as tender as usual. Everyone really enjoyed it, and my consumers usually do not have an issue being critical. I guess that as the chef I had high expectations after babysitting for 13 hrs. Here’s some pictures. 

2D5A1457-6C57-4E40-86B8-73E5F9E061B4.thumb.jpeg.5f036abac924f29fc425f68803562337.jpeg

AC0ADDAF-C79A-49FB-BB8B-BEDD230B3648.thumb.jpeg.649ab20784359c0072bbe07f752c2bed.jpeg

A2BF7C3C-36CC-4FBD-900D-31E059B7E88C.thumb.jpeg.0786bf9c16adf9c3d23620a38b3752cd.jpeg

493FA509-00CB-4E53-A6C6-985F23DB07C5.jpeg.dd13b6cee214fbcc14bc1b667915279c.jpeg

Edited by rl_sd

1 hour ago, rundrave said:

nice work @rl_sd what did you rub on that beast? Bet you didn't get that smoke ring from liquid smoke :P

Liquid what? Sounds like snake oil! I used a Blend of oak, hickory, and cherry. The rub was a mixture of salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, with a dash of onion and garlic salt. I also scored the fat cap to allow the salt to get absorbed. It seems like having the salt deeper into the meat helps with bringing in the smoke

6 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Isn't Liquid smoke what they put in eCigs? :huh:  :P

No, that is THC.

Liquid smoke is made by capturing condensate from actual dmoke.  The smoke ring is caused by carbon monoxide, and can be simulated by sodium nitrite in the rub.

Now for my question... once the meat is wrapped, why not just put it in the oven, and then no babysitting?

1 hour ago, delcecchi said:

No, that is THC.

Liquid smoke is made by capturing condensate from actual dmoke.  The smoke ring is caused by carbon monoxide, and can be simulated by sodium nitrite in the rub.

Um, that was called Humor Del. <_<

11 hours ago, delcecchi said:

Now for my question... once the meat is wrapped, why not just put it in the oven, and then no babysitting?

I certainly could of.. once the meat hits 160 and is wrapped it won't take on any smoke anyway. If I were using a traditional charcoal smoker I would definitely consider this, but with the pellet smoker there is no babysitting. They are just as convenient (and temp precise) as using the oven.... plus it is much more enjoyable to drink beer outside :)

When its 90 degrees outside and you already have the AC running in your home. Why put something in the oven and make your house even warmer and make the ac work even harder. 

I would wrap it in foil and set and forget it to on the smoker outside. Sounds like a no brainer to me.

3 hours ago, rl_sd said:

I certainly could of.. once the meat hits 160 and is wrapped it won't take on any smoke anyway. If I were using a traditional charcoal smoker I would definitely consider this, but with the pellet smoker there is no babysitting. They are just as convenient (and temp precise) as using the oven.... plus it is much more enjoyable to drink beer outside :)

I have been using a pit boss for over a year now and like it very well, but it's small.. a friend whats to buy it so I just got my new Green Mountain pellet grill last night!!!  seasoned already so now I just got to use it!!!  and like you said, it is so easy to use and maintain a temp!!!!

On 5/17/2018 at 10:41 AM, Mike89 said:

I have been using a pit boss for over a year now and like it very well, but it's small.. a friend whats to buy it so I just got my new Green Mountain pellet grill last night!!!  seasoned already so now I just got to use it!!!  and like you said, it is so easy to use and maintain a temp!!!!

I had to go back and comment on this post because I just bought a used Pit Boss Pellet Grill from a friend this weekend. He won it a couple of years ago and even though he doesn't grill that much, he liked it so much that he went and bought a bigger Traeger. I've always wanted to try a pellet grill but didn't want to lay down the big bucks until I could try one so I bought his for $50. I love it already! I made chicken thighs last night and it was some of the best chicken I've ever made. I'm going to try a few more things before I pull the trigger but I am already looking at larger models and I will keep the smaller Pit Boss to take camping and such.

How do you like your Green Mountain? Does it have the ability to sear?

Dave the pellet grills are big on sear are a big question!!  it depends on how hi they will go Temp wise!!  the tragger will not sear..  the Green Mt. can, but I bought for everything but that...  My weber and the gas grill to that!!!  but I love the rascal!!!  and thanks for asking!!!   good luck!!!