• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Swedish Sausage

nice work!   What the heck though, I was taught to not eat the casings.  Seriously, and now that I see yours I wonder why.  Years of slitting the casing, burning fingers, and using a fork to remove the "hash".  Stupid and I've done it for 40 plus years.

I posted this last year but here goes again.  Every year the great potato sausage debate happens.  Too much allspice, not enough or just right?  My sister gave me a pepper grinder filled with allspice for Christmas.  If you think the sausage needs more allspice you're in business.

I never thought a grinder full of allspice would be so thoughtful but it was.

BTW- RH1.  German guys should need to get a license to make Swedish Potato Sausage, I can line you up being a Swede!

Edited by leechlake

Del, If I were to keep recipe's secret or even fishing information secret [except for small unknown lakes up north] i would not be on this or any other web page.  I want folks to get more interested in cooking, smoking, or sausage making.  The thing about using your own spices and amounts used is a real challenge to get it right.  That's part of the fun.   Funny thing is that my mom never wrote things down when she cooked or baked, kind of like me.  But now I do [my wife got after me for that].  Taking notes is a good thing even for an stubborn German like me.  good luck.

Edited by reinhard1

image.jpeg

image.jpegH

He stuffed it with a cow horn as you can read.  No kidding.  put the casing on the horn and just keep jambing it in.  Two years we used a stuffer, he completely disapproved of that, I recall a lot of head shaking.

Edited by leechlake

Great picture and read.  I have a grinder like the one in the picture in a box [looks the same anyway].  Now that's old school with a cow horn but hey, whatever works.  We also opened our presents on Christmas Eve after we ate.   good luck.

Del, If I were to keep recipe's secret or even fishing information secret [except for small unknown lakes up north] i would not be on this or any other web page.  I want folks to get more interested in cooking, smoking, or sausage making.  The thing about using your own spices and amounts used is a real challenge to get it right.  That's part of the fun.   Funny thing is that my mom never wrote things down when she cooked or baked, kind of like me.  But now I do [my wife got after me for that].  Taking notes is a good thing even for an stubborn German like me.  good luck.

That was in response to the comment about Johnsonville "stealing" your recipes...  I just thought it was interesting..

after you stuff it is put in boiling water but you don't want it to boil very very softly otherwise some of it will blow, especially if you over stuff.  Then cool it and we bake in oven to brown it before eating.  Some skip that step.  

after you stuff it is put in boiling water but you don't want it to boil very very softly otherwise some of it will blow, especially if you over stuff.  Then cool it and we bake in oven to brown it before eating.  Some skip that step.  

Soooo you DONT want to boil it very very softly??

you want to boil it very very softly... right.

so whats with boiling, I hate boiling, leeches out the flavor of things, or dose the casing hold it in.??

the casing keeps it in, if it didn't we would use the water for soup.

Frankly this stuff is complicated hash and not much more.

Bad typing about, you got it though, if you boil hard your screwed.  You want to boil it very very softly unlike spaghetti :)

A soft boil is also called a "low boil", unlike a "hard" or "rolling" boil. Not to be confused with a "simmer". which is liquid kept at just UNDER the boiling point. Ok, that's the lesson for today, kiddies. :grin: 

Edited by RebelSS

Ha Ha,  I like the boil talk.  I say simmer if anything.  The water temp to "poach" idealy is around 170 degrees.  Hate to be so technical but like Kris said, you dont want the casing to burst on you.  Many times after the cooking we have browned the swedes just like the blood sausage we would eat.  Browned it in with bacon or butter.  Having some browned that way for breakfast  tomorrow with some eggs.  You can also make the swedes into patties which I have also done.  good luck.

I just ordered an anova sous vide circulator for my wife to give me for Christmas... They have a good sale going on. 

http://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-cooker/

I bet it would work great for potato sausage cooking. 

currently $50 off.  

http://store.anovaculinary.com/products/anova-precision-cooker

I think that's another great tool for the kitchen Del, thanks!!  I think it would be a great tool for re-heating a ring or even cooking a ring or two without bursting the casing.  Maybe not for a large family or large amounts of sausage making but perfect for a couple or small family.  Every tool in the kitchen has a purpose and this one is unique.  Still need to sear the steak afterwards or prior to placing the steak in there [probably better afterwards which is called reverse searing]  but a time saver for many uses and you get exact results.  I'm sure your wife will love it.  I'll have to look into one myself.  good luck.

I just ordered an anova sous vide circulator for my wife to give me for Christmas... They have a good sale going on. 

http://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-cooker/

I bet it would work great for potato sausage cooking. 

currently $50 off.  

http://store.anovaculinary.com/products/anova-precision-cooker

Del- I think that sous vide is great and will make a perfect steak.  I've looked at them myselves.  

However, if I catch wind of anyone putting potato sausage in one of those machines I will track you down and force you to watch Oprah every day (is Oprah on anymore?)  If you aren't afraid of that I've got my dad up in heaven and even though I'm sure it's very peaceful there he may talk God into making an exception if a sous vide apparatus has anything to do with potato sausage.

PS- when I try to post a photo on a thread it also adds my photo that I previously posted.  For example, if I just posted a deer photo on the deer hunting forum and tried to post a photo on here of Del tied to a chair watching Oprah both photos would post.  btw- I post all photos from my phone for what it's worth.