• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone want to guess

ZachD

Not many things funner than having a new puppy in the house. Watching them grow, bonding, training ... sure it's alot of work but the rewards are immeasurable. That said, here's a pic of our newest addition. Taken a month ago when he was 65 lbs at 6 1/2  months. Hubby is training him in "schutzhund", German for protection dog.  We named him "Q-Ball" :D Couldn't resist sharing ... Carry OnP1010494.thumb.JPG.d348bb814bf45a4d1efa2

1 hour ago, DrJill said:

Not many things funner than having a new puppy in the house. Watching them grow, bonding, training ... sure it's alot of work but the rewards are immeasurable. That said, here's a pic of our newest addition. Taken a month ago when he was 65 lbs at 6 1/2  months. Hubby is training him in "schutzhund", German for protection dog.  We named him "Q-Ball" :D Couldn't resist sharing ... Carry OnP1010494.thumb.JPG.d348bb814bf45a4d1efa2

Nice looking dog!

The g/f is already planning on getting a French bulldog down the road.. I on the other hand want a French Brittany. I told her they are both French what does it matter! haha

I took Finn over to my brothers house and he has a yellow lab that is 82 pounds. Not a fat 82 pounds and Finn's paws are much bigger than my brothers lab. Brother's lab Buddy is 11 years old and played with Finn like he was a puppy.  I have been working on playing fetch with Finn in the house and he will fetch 3 or 4 times and gets bored with it so we only are doing 3 times for now. Finn is 12 weeks old and has to be 30 pounds.  He goes to the Vet next week to get his next batch of shots and Limes shot as well. Then I will see about get him neutered as well.

Zach looks like Tango is coming along really good. 

On 1/18/2016 at 8:21 AM, monstermoose78 said:

I took Finn over to my brothers house and he has a yellow lab that is 82 pounds. Not a fat 82 pounds and Finn's paws are much bigger than my brothers lab. Brother's lab Buddy is 11 years old and played with Finn like he was a puppy.  I have been working on playing fetch with Finn in the house and he will fetch 3 or 4 times and gets bored with it so we only are doing 3 times for now. Finn is 12 weeks old and has to be 30 pounds.  He goes to the Vet next week to get his next batch of shots and Limes shot as well. Then I will see about get him neutered as well.

Zach looks like Tango is coming along really good. 

Nothing against neutering, but I'm a firm believer in letting them mature first, of course your vet will try to talk you out of it ( mine did untill I asked the if they wanted me to find another vet), but do some research and you will find there are alot of health bennifits to letting them mature first. I can always tell a male that was neutered at a young age by his lack of muscle tone.. 

1 hour ago, Todd Caswell said:

Nothing against neutering, but I'm a firm believer in letting them mature first, of course your vet will try to talk you out of it ( mine did untill I asked the if they wanted me to find another vet), but do some research and you will find there are alot of health bennifits to letting them mature first. I can always tell a male that was neutered at a young age by his lack of muscle tone.. 

Thank you for your imput @Todd Caswell should I wait to the 6 months then?

I would never do it before 12 monthe's if I'm going to do it at all. I'm saying this because I'm sure you are a responsible pet owner and doesn't let his dog run unattended. Your vet will try to talk you into it now because our shelters are full of unwanted dogs and puppy's and I agree but it's not a  spay, neuter issue it's a unresponsible  owner issue.  I personally never neuter my males and I don't do alot of breeding, I do it for the health reasons. I have two intact males in the house now and have had as many as 4, I really see no reason to get them clipped as long as I'm doing my part..

This sums it up pretty good

http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/health/articles/neutering-male-dog.html

Another good read..

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/spay-neuter-and-joint-disease/?utm_campaign=shareaholic&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=socialnetwork

For males most breeders will suggest you wait until at least 12 months to get them fix. That allows them to fully mature.

Some people including most vets will suggest doing it at 6 months for a variety of reason including hoping to cure behavioral issues and preventing unwanted litters.  Of course there is no promise fixing the dog will cure any behavioral issues and if you keep you dog under control there shouldn't be any unwanted litters.  

Normally I'd suggest waiting until 12 months but I didn't with my current dog (vizsla) for one reason or another.  He's 8 now so I don't remember our exact thinking at the time.  We had him fixed at about 8-9 months and he still hit every breed standard in terms of size and he's solid muscle.

One thing to consider if you are thinking about leaving him intact.  If you want to board him or bring him to a dog park you may run into some limitations.  I know our local dog parks do not allow intact males and i've seen some boarding places that won't take them.  Just something to be aware of and possibly look into ahead of time if you are debating.

As an amateur pet owner that has had all males neutered I'd wait or not do it.   It doesn't calm them down, I believe it makes it easier for them to get overweight, they have to wear the cone of shame afterward.  

The negatives are chaffing when hunting and that they could impregnate a girl dog, but most of them are spayed these days.  Vet can also tell you they "could" get testy cancer.  I think most vets aren't giving a fair assessment of the pros and cons.

Well Tango is doing well still a little runt but he Is growing. Most of his adult teeth are coming in or are already in. Was chewing on a bone today and another fell out. Cant wait for the snow to melt and it to start getting nice out to spend more time with him outdoors.

WP_20160206_09_16_56_Pro.jpg

18 hours ago, Ufatz said:

What the hell does that mean....."field bred".  I was born to be a duke,  but it hasn't worked out.

Best I've been able to manage is an Earl.

The dog is what you will make him to be.

I'm not expert but seems to me bred for more agility and speed stamina.. I know he is what you make him but I suppose it helps if they are bred for certain traits. I'm willing to bet one of Peyton mannings kids is more likely to excel at football then one of my kids. I can definitely tell he has more stamina then my friends lab the same age. He's wore out way way before Tango. Can't wait to see him in the water.

you are right Zach.  For example, field bred Golden Retrievers are trained for hunting, Show bred for Showing.  The field golden's generally have a darker coat and different coat and are generally smaller.  All general appearance things.

Same goes for a lab although you don't have the noticeable look differences.  The Westminster dog show lab is different looking than your "field" lab and my "field" labs.  The DNA is the same, what their parents did are different.  

Same thing with Border Collies. Was almost a war when AKC took over the registry. With stock dogs, the wilder and more unique the color patterns, the better. Show animals are sometimes known as "Barbie Collies". :)

I didn't mean breeding doesn't matter-my message was poorly written. But I really want to emphasize is that if someone already has a dog or is given  a dog or is just starting out with dogs and hunting dogs the smallest worry you have is breeding.  If the dog is from a registered litter you have some assurance it is reasonably intelligent. If you are NEW to dogs and training that mean both you and the dog are starting off on equal footing.

Worry about basic stuff and work with the dog and things will be okay so long as you are not contemplating competition with the dog. Heck,  I once took a rat terrier to the duck flats. Dropped a few birds and he brought them back just like he had been trained to do.....with a ball and a small dummy.  But man I got some strange looks from a few guys I passed on my way walking out when they saw my "duck dog".

On February 13, 2016 at 11:14 AM, Ufatz said:

I didn't mean breeding doesn't matter-my message was poorly written. But I really want to emphasize is that if someone already has a dog or is given  a dog or is just starting out with dogs and hunting dogs the smallest worry you have is breeding.  If the dog is from a registered litter you have some assurance it is reasonably intelligent. If you are NEW to dogs and training that mean both you and the dog are starting off on equal footing.

Worry about basic stuff and work with the dog and things will be okay so long as you are not contemplating competition with the dog. Heck,  I once took a rat terrier to the duck flats. Dropped a few birds and he brought them back just like he had been trained to do.....with a ball and a small dummy.  But man I got some strange looks from a few guys I passed on my way walking out when they saw my "duck dog".

I wanted teach the chihuahuas flush grouse and find them once I shot them but wife said no .

19 hours ago, ZachD said:

he's about 6 months ... He's still only 35lbs little runt compared to Finn! He leaves for training march 27th

For some reason I thought Tango was older. Let me know how the training goes. I have spot saved for Finn there if my wife lets him go.