• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Generator sale

ZapMan

Regardless of what the Db rating is, get a Honda or a Yamaha. Generac says 61Db too and they are much louder than a Honda. Do search on this, you'll see haw many times it's been asked. Don't get me wrong, ask away, but the search brings up a lot of info.

Edited by Hawg

Anybody buy the 2000 watt generator at the Big M store? Its a small black unit similar to the Honda. I can't find any db noise ratings on it. "M" has it on sale thru today for $449 ??? thoughts?

Be careful.  If I had $1 for each time I've seen these Chinese knockoffs being "just like the (Honda/Yamaha)" I'd be on a yacht in the Caribbean.  There's posts all over this page, and many others about it.  Some of the people get lucky for awhile, many of them end up learning an expensive lesson, like this one:  

My cousin bought one of those $400 knockoffs about 6 years ago.  The first time he ran his coffee maker in his fish house, it seized up.  Parts were extremely difficult or impossible to come by, so the generator went in the garbage.  The Honda that he bought the next week actually cost him $1300.  $400 for the knockoff and $900 for the Honda (which has been running that same coffee maker ever since).  

I would like to fire up all the yammie and Honda fans and say the powerhorse at Northern is as lite and quieter than either at a fraction of the cost.... Let the Sparks fly!

Is this a comment coming from experience or just something to get everyone's goat? I've looked at that multiple times going in there recently.

I have a 2000 watt Polaris.  It is a touch louder than a  Honda but not by much.  Neighbor has a Honda and its tough to tell the difference side x side comparison.(running one at a time).   It is a bit more bulky than the Honda but I am more than happy with it.

I would like to fire up all the yammie and Honda fans and say the powerhorse at Northern is as lite and quieter than either at a fraction of the cost.... Let the Sparks fly!

No sparks here.  I couldn't possibly care less what someone ends up buying, as they can spend their money as they see fit.  But when asked, I'll be more than happy to share my thoughts and experiences.    

I've been running my Yamaha since 2009 without so much as putting in a new spark plug.  I paid $809 for it to my door, so my cost per year (assuming it is worth nothing today) is about $135.  I could have gambled and gone the knockoff route, and it would have cost me about $95 per year.  For $40, I have had peace of mind, years worth of excellent reviews (the oldest review on that Powerhorse is 18 months ago), and the cost being somewhat offset by going 14 hours per tank of fuel vs 8 1/2.  My generator runs almost 24 hours per day during ice fishing trips, so I suspect it gets close to being equal annual cost.  

IF I decided to sell mine tomorrow, I'd be able to get about $700-750, vs $350 for the knockoff that I see on the list now.  Looking at it that way, my cost per year is $18 vs $35 for the knockoff.  Throw in 40% less fuel usage, and the Honda and Yamaha are way ahead.            

I bought a Honda 1000 way back when they first turned into the little red models like today's, can't even remember how long ago it was 10-12 years ago? Paid $250 for it used and sold it 2 years ago for $400. Why try LRG, you can't change cheap!

A major benefit of a Honda or Yamaha is the availability of parts and service.  This year will be the sixth ice season for my Honda EU2000i.  I change the oil regularly and she always runs like a top.  The only maintenance I've had done is a new starter rope because I noticed it was fraying and I wasn't going to have it break in sub zero temperatures.  

I found mine on sale for $850.  I think last week FF was including a $100 gift card with the purchase of a Honda.  Shop around and try to find a deal.  A local dealer is selling Yamahas for $850 and it comes with a 4 year warranty. 

The only cheap generator I've experience with is the Smarter Tools 2000.  A friend picked up one at Costco for $600.  I will say that it is probably the same decibel level as the Honda.  He's used it the last two seasons and had no problems.  I know this brand uses a Yamaha engine.  

I have the Honda EU2000i that I bought new in 2010 or 11, don't remember. It worked fine the first year and then turned to dump. Won't start if the temperature gets down to around 35-40 degrees. Had it in to get fixed 3 or 4 times. Each time they had it 3 or 4 weeks and said they replaced this or that and it should be fine. Each time I brought it home and left it sit in the cold overnight and it wouldn't start. Now if I want to start it I have to bring it in the house and warm it up for about a half hour and then it will start in three or four pulls. Never buy another Honda.

I have the Honda EU2000i that I bought new in 2010 or 11, don't remember. It worked fine the first year and then turned to dump. Won't start if the temperature gets down to around 35-40 degrees. Had it in to get fixed 3 or 4 times. Each time they had it 3 or 4 weeks and said they replaced this or that and it should be fine. Each time I brought it home and left it sit in the cold overnight and it wouldn't start. Now if I want to start it I have to bring it in the house and warm it up for about a half hour and then it will start in three or four pulls. Never buy another Honda.

I've heard this about some of the Honda's.  I know they occasionally have issues with snow and water getting into the air filter and freezing.  If you aren't doing so, you may want to switch to synthetic oil.    

Yeah, Honda. eu2000, works great. but the warrenty su cks. Bought mine at tool crib, ive had it in 3 tiems cause the lower jet gets clogged. if i dont run it enough in the off season. IDK.

In the spring I throw a couple ounces of Sea Foam in the gas tank on my Yamaha, and then whenever I think of it through the summer, I'll run it for an hour or so.  Maybe once a month.  I had an issue with mine getting gummy the first year I had my generator, but it's been perfect since I started doing this.  Same technique I use with my ice auger.  

Edited by Lip_Ripper Guy

Another problem with cheap generators is that most of them are noisy, so even if you have it away from your house your neighbors, even 75 yards away in a portable, get to pay for your cheap noisy generator.  Not such a big deal ice fishing I guess, keeps the rifraff away but more and more people are also using them with campers, then the other people can't move away.

Yeah, Honda. eu2000, works great. but the warrenty su cks. Bought mine at tool crib, ive had it in 3 tiems cause the lower jet gets clogged. if i dont run it enough in the off season. IDK.

Boar. Drain your carb and this will not happen. The screw is on the bottom of the bowl with a hose connected to it.

non-oxy!!

This is the ticket with most anything that is used infrequently for periods of time. Non Oxygenated gas, or gas without ethanol. Ethanol not only creates excessive varnish inside float bowls, jets and carb passages, but it also attracts water. Ethanol will also turn soft pliable gaskets into rock hard junk without much exposure.