• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Places to test out a new rifle - from the metro

jdime

My 10 year old saved up his pennies and bought his .243 today. He is a very happy young man. 

BUT with the local ranges now closed to the public I am thinking I might have to drive out to state forest land and find a logging clearing somewhere to shoot it. Does anyone know of another option? I live in the metro area and I am just hoping for some place within an hour. 

Thanks. 

Dime

My 10 year old saved up his pennies and bought his .243 today. He is a very happy young man. 

BUT with the local ranges now closed to the public I am thinking I might have to drive out to state forest land and find a logging clearing somewhere to shoot it. Does anyone know of another option? I live in the metro area and I am just hoping for some place within an hour. 

Thanks. 

Dim

Call Bill's Gun Shop in Robbinsdale.  The have an indoor range and while it's been a while since I went with a buddy they used to have a computer program that helped sight your rifle in the calculated windage even though you were shooting at a shorter distance.  At the very least your kid can't pull the trigger.  

BTW- my son was 12 when I got him a 243 and we used a "bed sled" with a sandbag to keep the recoil to almost zero.  That was very helpful.

Thanks leechlake. Yeah my son is tall but he's as big around as my big toe. He's been working out to try and prepare for a real rifle but at least he can handle a 410. I keep telling him that he might shoot it only to find that he still has some growing to do. He gets it.

I went to Bill's once when my father gifted me my gradpa's 22 for xmas and I just wanted to see how it would shoot. It was pretty a darn loud place. I am pondering just taking the boy to Namadji and finding a clearing far away from any private land and trails. We don't need to perfectly sight it in, and he might not be able to handle the recoil anyhow.

I am quite sure target practicing is illegal on public ground that is not a range. I don't see why anyone would care but people, incLudington co's can act strange at times. 

Just a heads up.

Looks OK with the state on "forest lands"  but I am not a lawyer and maybe the counties have something to say...

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/rules/?id=6100.0800

When I want to shoot when ranges aren't open or when I don't want to pay the daily rate for non-members I head out to state forest land.  We hunt public state forest land up near park rapids so we will bring the guns and do some shooting on days we are up scouting or cutting new trails. 

There is a lot of logging in the area and not hard to find open areas to shoot.  We just look for somewhere that is open with a hill to act as a backstop and with nothing behind the hill just in case.  In these clear cut areas there is no shortage of logs laying around so we usually stack up some logs and hang targets on them.

Just make sure to clean up after yourself and don't leave targets or empty casings laying around.

Yeah its pretty easy to leave with a bag of trash in those clear cuts.  I'm not sure if its left by the loggers or if those areas get more recreational use by people which means more garbage but seems like there are always pop bottles, food wrappers, and various other items left laying around.  If there are trails through older clear cuts then you'll almost always see shotgun shell casings left laying around.

Yeah its pretty easy to leave with a bag of trash in those clear cuts.  I'm not sure if its left by the loggers or if those areas get more recreational use by people which means more garbage but seems like there are always pop bottles, food wrappers, and various other items left laying around.  If there are trails through older clear cuts then you'll almost always see shotgun shell casings left laying around.

It only takes a few bad apples to make that mess because it persists. Most folks are respectful. One key is that we raise young ones who bother to do something about it.

I am not having luck with the ranges. We're going to hit the forest unless I can perhaps barter for some private land time.

It does only take a few.  My daughter is not even three yet and I've already started teaching her.  When we're outside together and she sees a piece of garbage she'll yell "Uh oh, GARBAGE" and she'll insist we stop and clean it up.  I think I've got her on the right path :grin: