• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2015 WY Antelope

Lunker

This post is a bit late, but have been busy hunting :)

Decided to do a hunt west this year. I was planning muleys but a friend wanted to for for antelope. I agreed and put the hunt together. I hunted them once before so knew the basics.

Started planning by looking at tag availability and numbers, WY was the clear frontrunner. Did some research and picked a zone based on high percentage draw, success rates, and enough public land to work with. Found lodging, and a place to freeze meat after we processed. 

We had to work opening weekend and planned to drive out Monday and hunt through the week and following weekend. After opening weekend everything that lived near roads was either dead or moved deeper. So we put a lot of miles on the ol' leather personnel carriers. Hunted deep into public areas that didn't allow vehicle travel. Quartered and packed out our animals.

Was a lot of fun, and a lot of work. After the first day getting our bearings, we were successful our second day both filling our doe tags. My friend filled his buck tag on day three and I filled mine on day four. Shots ranged from 150-220. 

IMG_20151008_174739138_HDR.jpg

IMG_20151010_134116013.jpg

IMG_20151008_165504275_HDR.jpg

IMG_20151010_145326442.jpg

IMG_20151010_103548271.jpg

Congrats!  Looks like a lot of fun!  The terrain looks similar to where we were at the end of October on our hunt.  It really made it fun and easy to stalk close.  It seems like 90% of people won't walk more than 100 yards from their trucks to look for animals.  It's great for those willing to tighten up the boot laces and put on some miles.

Did you get a chance to eat them yet?  Man are they delicious!  My wife told me to "go back and get more next year" after our first meal of antelope steaks.  We've been eating it twice a week lately.  Burgers, steaks, backstraps...they are all great!

Nowiser, I agree, most people road hunt. We had success getting deep into areas that restrict vehilce travel, and its much more fun and rewarding. Yes they are good eating,  butchered ours into cuts and also had some cheddar summer sausage made which is awesome.

B-man, antelope are definitely a reasonable hunt as far as getting tags, costs, etc compared with many out of state hunts. Just gotta do it! Feel free to pm me of you have any questions.