• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Kansas Youth Season 2015

Crappie Rage

Kansas youth season started on Labor day weekend.   Well that had very high temps predicted so we passed and opted for the second weekend.  DaveT and his 13 year old daughter, Dad, and me and my 13 year old son headed down on Thursday Sept 10.   Friday morning my son went out with his grandfather.  Saw a doe and a fawn but no really good shooting opportunities and grampa made him hold off.   DaveT and his daughter saw a doe too, but no shot presented itself. 

That night DaveT and his daughter head out again.  This is her first year hunting and she is a little bit of a girly girl.  About 45 minutes before dark there is a buck 160 yards out.  Takes a while but she is finally able to get him in her sights.  Shot fired.  Buck disappears.   DaveT waits a little and hears a gun shot to the north.  Then he heads up and finds her buck dead. 

20150911_194525.jpg

Well my son and I are in the same stand he was in that morning.   Nothing all night long.  My son is a little disappointed.  We should have gone to this stand, we should have gone to that stand.  Now the sun is below the horizon.  I do a light rattling sequence to imitate some sparring.   About 10 minutes later I hear the schloop, schloop and swish swish of a deer walking in mud and swamp grass.   I tell my son that sounds like a deer.  Get your gun ready.   Schloop Schloop.  Yes, that is definitely a deer.  

My son says, I can see it.  Now I can too but only the tips of an antler and I think it is just a forkhorn.  He is about 50 yards out.  He moves a little and my son says, he is huge.   I still cant see it very well.  Now I can and it is the big buck we have pics of. 

I can see his head.  Can I shoot him in the head.  No.  He moves towards us a little.  Can I shoot him in the neck.  No.  He moves closer again and now he is in the open.  He turns just enough and I say go ahead, keep it close to the shoulder.  Boom! 

The buck takes off hard but stops in the only brushy area about 40 yards from the stand.  He doesn't come out the other side.  Put another shell in I tell my son.  The lever action jams.  Then I hear something and look over and catch a glimpse of the buck going down.  

20150911_204414_resized.jpg

Wow, I think DaveT might have downplayed how your seasons went!

Can you adopt a 37 year old? Or need a new friend?:whistle:

Congrates to all, I sure enjoy reading these stories.

I forgot about the kids and was referencing the rut, which was kind of slow by Kansas standards. Plus I'm kind of spoiled by some of our previous seasons. Weather was too warm when we were down and there wasn't a lot of rutting activity.

Crappie and Dave, 

You guys have something very special there, and it is really awesome that you are spreading it on to the future generations.  Congrats to you all on your success after what i am sure is a lot of hard work.  

Keep it up, and next year please don't make me track you down for stories, i just may drive down to KS with my bow in hand to get them out of you;-)