• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Exercise induced seizure

ESSGuy

i am looking for anyone who has a dog who may have this. Here is my story. my 3 1/2 yr old field bred springer had first seizure on this years pheasant opener, at first I thought it was the warm weather but we took every precaution with him this was after a 2 hr hunt with multiple stops in water to cool off. Second seizure was on Oct 24, after a full day of hunting he seizured at the truck. We thought it was because of low blood glucose, due to having no food since morning. Took him out today and he seizured after 1 1/2 hrs of hunting. Let me say, my wife is a vet tech at a very good vet practice in metro area, Had Damon's blood work up done after each of the first two seizures, nothing out of ordinary, he is a PFK carrier, not PFK affected. He is all out when hunting, full blown speed dog with no brakes. This seems to be only exercise induced seizure, not epileptic seizure as he hasn't had any without strenuous exertion. Vets are not sure what's going on. Has anyone had experience with this? 

They are working on it, there is no common denominator. Each episode has different levels of exertion. Maybe a different vet will do another blood test, maybe number three will be the charm. These vets have a lot of experience and I trust them, but hey,thanks pal. I will also say this is the same Vet clinic who did emergency surgery on my 11 yr old this spring after his spleen ruptured. 9 pm on weekday, Dr. Was at the gym, wife called her and she came right away, owner of practice was there shortly after. Not sure how many vets would do that, so I'm pretty happy with how my dogs are treated and their experience level.

Edited by ESSGuy
Additional info

Have my springer Damon on a drug called zonasamide for 4 days now, along with vitamin b6 and bcomplex. He gets 3tsp of gelatin twice daily. We hunted in big stone co today, I was so nervous about running him, kept it to 1 hr then got him settled down and made sure he was ok, let him sit for 2hrs and then gave him another 30 minutes. He looked great so hopefully we are on the correct path. Still need to do a blood glucose test when the wife can be with us to rule that out. 4 in our group got 6 roosters in about 5hrs, got my 7mo old pup into a group of 20-25 hens, he came out of there with a look on his face of "wow, did you see what I found?" Just put a big smile on my face for sure.

image.jpeg

we had a Golden that had seizures but they were not exercise induced.  What we found over time is that after a while is that they didn't freak him out as much as time went by.  At first he was wiped out by them but as time went by he just had them and a bit later was fine.  He was the best duck dog we ever had.

I'm sure the goal is to not have them but if they continue that peace of mine may help you too when the dog has them.