• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

hot pepper recipes?

21 hours ago, smurfy said:

well so far the only peppers i've grown are regular bell peppers and jalepenos, i have grown hungarian hot wax in the past.

i'd just like to try making a batch like the crushed peppers seasoning you get in the stores. i like spicy, not that spicy ya need the fire dept though!!!

Those would be great. I use a dedicated el cheapo coffee grinder that I picked up for $10. I grind to a finer consistency that I can shake out of a shaker. I'm not sure how they get the consistent course grind but it ain't from what I use.

17 hours ago, delcecchi said:

I think the classic is cayenne pepper.   If you want to try other peppers, Walmart has a good selection in the produce and hispanic sections.

And they are already dried.

sorry del..............no wallyworld for this guy!

1 hour ago, Grainbelt said:

Those would be great. I use a dedicated el cheapo coffee grinder that I picked up for $10. I grind to a finer consistency that I can shake out of a shaker. I'm not sure how they get the consistent course grind but it ain't from what I use.

i gotz the winter to think it over. do you keep the sees in the mix??? thinking geen pepperes, jalepeno and cheyennes.

1 hour ago, smurfy said:

sorry del..............no wallyworld for this guy!

i gotz the winter to think it over. do you keep the sees in the mix??? thinking geen pepperes, jalepeno and cheyennes.

Whatever floats your boat.  Look for a mexican or latino grocery store in your area.  They aren't union either but you won't be embarrassed being seen at wally world.  And you will be supporting a small business. 

Asian grocery stores have dried peppers also but not as much variety.  

And typically the seeds are in the mix, since they have a lot of the heat.   Try it both ways, peppers are cheap.  

Edited by delcecchi

On 10/6/2016 at 8:19 AM, smurfy said:
2 hours ago, smurfy said:

I like the seeds and webbing in for the spicy peppers. I've always took the seeds out of the Bells because I had quartered or halved them before smoking. Don't forget about Serranos for next season! They have great flavor. Habaneros are as spicy as I go and I use them pretty sparingly. With the others I pretty much dump the smokey goodness on whatever I'm eating. Yum! 

4 hours ago, smurfy said:

its one of those i wanna grow it and do it myself things. its why i grow my own dill, garlic, and certain seasonings that i use most!

I just thought you might want to practice and try some different kinds.  Getting to be a little late to plant them in the garden.  

6 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

I just thought you might want to practice and try some different kinds.  Getting to be a little late to plant them in the garden.  

next year Del. i can wait but sure do appreciate your input!

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 6:23 AM, Grainbelt said:

Once I dehydrate them if I didn't do a big batch I just put them in a ziplock and use my hands and crumple them up till they are in big flakes. If I do a big batch I use something like this

aox118-oxo-gg-chopper-demo-3-w.jpg

When I grind my smoked peppers, I use a blender that I only use for this purpose; I picked it up at a garage sale. I tried a coffee/spice grinder but it grinds it too fine, when you shake some out of the shaker the powder flies around and you start sneezing.... I can control the grind with the blender.

peppers 002.JPG

Canned up a little hot sauce.

Made some milder jars Carolina Reaper for my daughter and her son who really like Hot sauce. 

Also, made up a few jars of full strength Trinidad chocolate scorpion.  I call it, Not for Human consumption!  :P

Going to make up some milder salsa tomorrow to share with all my light weight relatives.

IMG_2746.JPG

IMG_2747.JPG

On 9/3/2017 at 2:59 PM, Todd Caswell said:

Care to share the recipie for the hot sauce < i have alot of peppers this year

I used

1-2 or 3 Ghost peppers, Carolina Reaper or Trinidad Chocolate scorpion per jar. 

1 teaspoon garlic salt

1 cup vinegar

blended it smooth and then boiled and simmered for about 20-30 minutes.  Put in jar or can in jar for longer storage. 

They are insanely hot. Drops per dinner of chili, curries or other dinners are used.  Good luck! :)

On 7/9/2017 at 8:43 PM, Grainbelt said:

I had some dehydrated peppers that I didn't smoke, time to get er done. I'm not sure what kind the little peppers were but wow are they hot. Great on the morning egg sandwich! I have a little apple/hickory mix to flavor them with.

20170709_081322_resized.jpg

20170709_082512_resized.jpg

How did you store these? I mean to get the best tastes. Thanks.