• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

hot pepper recipes?

I wound up canning some hot pepper jelly. The hot sauce video looks really good, I am going to give it a try.

Thanks for all the replies and ideas. I do make a smoked pepper spice, but I already have pounds of that in the freezer. I give away a lot so I make a lot.

Crow Hunter

buddy of mine had some issues with his hind end.  He recommended this stuff called Calmoseptin...works like a charm.  Funny though, it isn't in the normal section for those things, it's usually by the adult diaper section.  Ha!

I made this tonight based on Leech's suggestion:

1 pound Jalepenos

1 pound Anaheims

large handful of Habeneros

1 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon minced garlic

1 cup vinegar

blended it smooth and then boiled and simmered for about 20-30 minutes.  Put in jar.

Had it on stir fry tonight, I like really hot food and this was hot enough to leave a burn on your lips for a good while and perfect mixed in with the stir fry, I probably used a half dozen spoonfuls from time to time sprinkled on top.  

I made something very similar to this (used a smaller batch though) but used ghost peppers instead.  Holy cow was it hot, but it was really, really, really tasty. 

I added a can of pears and some fresh ginger too to help add some sweet to the sauce.    The stuff in the jar is smoked paprika, and y es, those are safety glasses on the right side there.  This stuff is not something to mess around with when you're cookin it.

840ED7A1-2686-4955-B8B3-3B5F612D1D17_zps5A981059-AA0B-45D6-BEBA-BFC9D1A05E06_zps

I thought better of doing this with the Carolina Reapers.... dried them instead. Those things scare me...  

Edited by Slabasaurus

many people would consider that if you're wearing safety goggles to make a recipe it's not going to end up being a good experience but I completely follow you.  When I dried my jalepenos the other day, like an one-who-thinks-I-am-silly, I barely itched my eye...ouch!

many people would consider that if you're wearing safety goggles to make a recipe it's not going to end up being a good experience but I completely follow you.  When I dried my jalepenos the other day, like an one-who-thinks-I-am-silly, I barely itched my eye...ouch!

Yep the eye is bad but hitting the bathroom after handling a hot pepper no fun either .

I made something very similar to this (used a smaller batch though) but used ghost peppers instead.  Holy cow was it hot, but it was really, really, really tasty. 

I added a can of pears and some fresh ginger too to help add some sweet to the sauce.    The stuff in the jar is smoked paprika, and y es, those are safety glasses on the right side there.  This stuff is not something to mess around with when you're cookin it.

I thought better of doing this with the Carolina Reapers.... dried them instead. Those things scare me...  

Nice work Slab. I really wanted to use some Ghost peppers in my last batch but the cost of them was a bit crazy for just a few.

On 8/12/2016 at 3:27 PM, delcecchi said:

With luck yours can be as tasty as Siracha... :D

Pesonally I am not into the 6 digit scovil unit hot sauces.  

Well, Thank the Lord I was able to stop the shipment to your door before the mailman got back to town!

I wouldn't rate this pepper sauce as being overly hot. It has a mixture of peppers, many having a scoville heat unit rating about the same as jalepenos. First I tried a drop or two on a chip to check it out, then I put a few drops on a pork sandwich and I thought it was about right. A bit of an afterburn and a few drops of perspiration on the forehead but nothing oppressive.