• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

hot pepper recipes?

I have a couple of pepper plants left in the garden with quite a few hot peppers still on them. I am going to pick them before it gets cold later this week. I may make some chili/garlic sauce with some of them, anybody else have any ideas? I love hot and spicy.

I made some Hot sauce with my end of season Jalepeno's, but went a few steps more! ;)

I added:

Jalepeno's, Habanero's, Serrano's, Thai peppers and a few larger Anaheims for a base to one or more cups of White Vinegar in to a blender. Blended as smooth as I could get, brought to a boiled in a deep pan and then simmered for about 20min's on stove with (fan) on! Then put into in a canning jar.

Turned out great and Hot!  I just add a spoon full when making stuff like Chili! :P

Oh edit add: If your eye's start to water or itch when making this. DON'T RUB YOUR EYES!! :lol:

Edited by leech~~

I made some Hot sauce with my end of season Jalepeno's, but went a few steps more! ;)

I added:

Jalepeno's, Habanero's, Serrano's, Thai peppers and a few larger Anaheims for a base to one or more cups of White Vinegar in to a blender. Blended as smooth as I could get, brought to a boiled in a deep pan and then simmered for about 20min's on stove with (fan) on! Then put into in a canning jar.

Turned out great and Hot!  I just add a spoon full when making stuff like Chili! :P

Oh edit add: If your eye's start to water or itch when making this. DON'T RUB YOUR EYES!! :lol:

That's why I steal rubber gloves while waiting for the doctor....

Funny. I was in a clinic today, and was eyeing up the boxes of rubber gloves. Decided to not break any of the ten commandments.

for what they charge for an office visit................just think of it as a lease!!!!!!!!!

Funny. I was in a clinic today, and was eyeing up the boxes of rubber gloves. Decided to not break any of the ten commandments.

They throw away many pairs.  Just think of it as advance recycling...

Or break down and buy a box of them at your favorite retail outlet.   They are like 8 bucks a box on amazon. 

Do you worry about using one of your doctor's kleenex?

Or break down and buy a box of them at your favorite retail outlet.   They are like 8 bucks a box on amazon. 

I figure 3 or 4 pairs of gloves take the place of the free drug samples or the suckers they used to give ya. 

Del, get back on subject! Enough of your penny pinching ideas for the Doctors office! ;)

So if you take them clean them up and put them in a jar with vinegar, onion, and carrots, let them set for a couple weeks and they will be as sweet as you can handle.  The carrots and onions add a bit more sweet taste to them.  You could roast them and make up a good salsa.  I love chiles, can't get enough of them.  I bought 700 lb of Anaheim's from Hatch NM a few years ago.  Roasted them on my grill every night for a couple weeks, put them in ziplock and froze them in my upright freezer.  My son 8 at the time and i would go through 3 bags a day.  So good with every meal.  

I dry my extras in the dehydrator and then grind in the spice grinder

I cold smoked my peppers for 12 hours, then slice in half and dehydrate them and put them in canning jars. I like to grind them and sprinkle on whatever I'm cooking - just about.

20150918_070201.jpg

20150922_175405.jpg

Same here...and I blend 2 or 3 varieties, and use in my soups/stews.

2zzjibl.jpg

Edited by RebelSS

Mostly cayenne peppers are used in the "red pepper flakes" you see in stores. Jalapenos can also be used. I mixed both together, with some Anaheim to smooth 'em out. Any small red, such as Thai's, can be used, too. Some I will cut lengthwise and roast on the charcoal grill, then do the following....(minus the wash) I first wash mine, split, cut into 4 strips, then crosswise ( dry quicker) remove seeds, then put in my dehydrator. (use a good one with an adjustable temp gauge) Dry per instructions (NOT INDOORS!!!!  believe me, use garage!!) I then remove when almost brittle dry and put in my grinder...takes many pulses to get ground down right. Here's a good chart of peppers just for you, Smurfy...I use it a lot. PS: Keep well sealed in a GLASS jar.

smurfs.gif

http://www.cayennediane.com/big-list-of-hot-peppers/

Edited by RebelSS

like I said I love hot stuff...but I smoked some jalepenos today and purposely left the seeds in.  Took them out a bit ago and took a bit  eof one.   The roof of my mouth is about to blow off the top of my head!  I bit a raw habenero last night no problem.  I'm wagering drying the jalepenos out helps the schoval units?  Whew!