• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Your Zone, Observations, & Mgmt Opinion

183.  Bucks only this year.

We saw 5-20 deer per sit on average.  Mostly does and fawns.   Passed some small bucks and harvested a big 10 pointer and a decent 8 pointer.  Our neighbors had similar results.  We are fortunate to have great neighbors and everyone has been mindful of harvest.  It has paid great dividends for us.

It seems if you hunt the "wild" land east of hwy 23.  Pretty slim pickens over that way.  West of hwy 23 near ag, much better deer populations.

Lots of coyotes and a couple wolves captured on trail cameras.

Zone 240 (hunters choice). I saw more deer this year than the last couple and neighbors with ag fields reporting good deer numbers.  I saw more daytime movement this than other years also.  I did have quite a few less big bucks on my t-cams this year as compared to years past. 

Western 1/4 of 256 - Hunters choice. Deer numbers are similar to last year with 95% of the deer seen from the stand and on trail camera being does,fawns and 1.5 year old bucks. Would love to see APR's implemented, this would force the 1 hunter per 10-15 acres of huntable deer habitat to be more selective in the bucks they harvest.

Because the issues in the se bluff lands are of their own doing. Big lease money hunters are only after antlers thus they had the money to push through antler point restrictions. And pay to hunt people aren't going to pay to shoot does. And when land owners are paid to keep people off their land for deer hunting they aren't going to let people onto shoot does either. 

Sorry I even brought it up....

just saying, 5-deer per Hunter is what put us in this mess in the first place. 

For the second time, how does any of this affect deer numbers on public land? There is plenty of that in Zone 3.

What "mess" did allowing five deer put us in? 

How much land in Zone 3 is actually leased out? 

Back to my original point: how would it make any sense whatsoever to impose a blanket one-deer-per-hunter rule on the entire state, when deer numbers are much higher in Zone 3? How would that solve any of the problems you see? 

Western 1/4 of 256 - Hunters choice. Deer numbers are similar to last year with 95% of the deer seen from the stand and on trail camera being does,fawns and 1.5 year old bucks. Would love to see APR's implemented, this would force the 1 hunter per 10-15 acres of huntable deer habitat to be more selective in the bucks they harvest.

that's one thought but after hunting in South Dakota for about 8 years I've learned that cross tagging aka party hunting is also a culprit.  My buddies out there can't comprehend that I shoot my deer and then if I see a bigger deer shoot that one and have them tag it.  Cross tagging surely makes it easier to pull the trigger on a deer.  If you knew pulling the trigger would end your season you'd think twice many times.

Zone 259 west of Walker.  Best deer numbers in years and it's a lottery.  Would keep it that way if the Winter isn't brutal.

Edited by leechlake

that's one thought but after hunting in South Dakota for about 8 years I've learned that cross tagging aka party hunting is also a culprit.  My buddies out there can't comprehend that I shoot my deer and then if I see a bigger deer shoot that one and have them tag it.  Cross tagging surely makes it easier to pull the trigger on a deer.  If you knew pulling the trigger would end your season you'd think twice many times.

Zone 259 west of Walker.  Best deer numbers in years and it's a lottery.  Would keep it that way if the Winter isn't brutal.

Totally agree with this.  Would love to see party hunting go bye bye.

hunt area 197, the leech lake reservation. near the sand lake area. deer numbers are coming up. I shot 2 bucks. others seen does. as far as management, I will abide by what they determine. you can have an ultimate deer population, but when mother nature steps in theres no management plan that going to work.

oh and I disagree with smellesox about party hunting! I think its a great idea!!!!!!

Talked to a guy who bagged a head mounter by bow, area 240, got 2 more bucks by rifle and said he's really looking forward to muzzy season. Don't care much about deer management, when you're surrounded by this type of thinking and the never being out of tags butcher their own so they make sure to spare 1 tag for the full season so all can keep going the cycle continues and the system is broken. Group of 6 across the gravel were 5/6 so Sunday you bet all 6 hunters are out in force. Group to my south I figured must be 3/3 then but somehow all of them were out Sunday as well. Hard to care about deer management when the seasons and tagging are such free for alls. Figuring on the deer gods to help me out but not the last 2 seasons but maybe more then should be are killed and or baiting could be changing things also idk. hey got zone 1 yet but this AM there was a truck watching the field I hunt, of course, wife called and saw blaze orange out there to boot, great. Last year found a gutpile, hope that isn't the case in a few hours. Thank goodness spot # 3 is by Frosty's and they do hunt the way it should be done ! Thanks to Frosty and his hunting crew.    

Hunt 213 & 214, one is HC, one is managed.  In my opinion both should be managed as there are just as many deer in both places & plenty of them.  Generally between all the different properties I hunt I knew of more big bucks on trail cams this year than I can ever remember.  There are fawns everywhere.  If you count archery, I believe our party total is 15-21 so far.  (A couple of bow & ml hunters can still hunt.)  A couple of those were shot with bonus tags in 214, most were shot in 213.  We got 1 big one, 2 decent 8's (1 was bow), 7 smaller bucks, 3 does, & 2 fawns.

I think this stays to the point of the thread so here goes.

1.  Before you could register your deer on line or via phone you had to register your deer in person either before you left the zone with a buck or before you left the doe permit area with a doe.  Now you merely need to register within 48 hours and not in person.  Unattended consequence for this modern convenienc is somebody lugs a deer home opening weekend from up north if you live in the cities, hang it butcher it and never register it.  What do ya know ...they claim they lost their license and get a duplicate license for $5, new tag and it's "game on" with a new tag.

2.  Group goes out for the regular firearm season and fills all their tags and registers them.  Muzzy season rolls around and they ponder some friends that never hunted much "but  always wanted to".  They invite two guys and have basically recruited two new tags to the group.  Neither guy knows how to hunt let alone load a muzzleloader, so they help em out and fill their tags and freezer.   Next season the group doesn't do too well but somehow forget to call their new hunting buddies to join them for muzzy season.

3.  the old kid and grandma tag  trick.  Grandma is 80 years old and hasn't ever hunted and it she wanted to no longer has the ability to shoot a gun .

Register deer like the old days and no cross tagging.  At the very least you have to register on line or via phone before leaving permit areas or zones.

I think this stays to the point of the thread so here goes.

1.  Before you could register your deer on line or via phone you had to register your deer in person either before you left the zone with a buck or before you left the doe permit area with a doe.  Now you merely need to register within 48 hours and not in person.  Unattended consequence for this modern convenienc is somebody lugs a deer home opening weekend from up north if you live in the cities, hang it butcher it and never register it.  What do ya know ...they claim they lost their license and get a duplicate license for $5, new tag and it's "game on" with a new tag.

2.  Group goes out for the regular firearm season and fills all their tags and registers them.  Muzzy season rolls around and they ponder some friends that never hunted much "but  always wanted to".  They invite two guys and have basically recruited two new tags to the group.  Neither guy knows how to hunt let alone load a muzzleloader, so they help em out and fill their tags and freezer.   Next season the group doesn't do too well but somehow forget to call their new hunting buddies to join them for muzzy season.

3.  the old kid and grandma tag  trick.  Grandma is 80 years old and hasn't ever hunted and it she wanted to no longer has the ability to shoot a gun .

Register deer like the old days and no cross tagging.  At the very least you have to register on line or via phone before leaving permit areas or zones.

All the above examples are poaching and have no connection to legal party hunting . Most people that are against party hunting cite example as above to promote a dislike for party hunting , when what they describe is actually poaching .

Nothing wrong with party hunting as it stands , of the examples given most would still take place with changing current law , the guys in the examples would laugh and continue to avoid no party hunting laws

I think there are alot more un-registered deer than anyone thinks. The DNR reports about 60 bow kills per year in the zone I hunt. I usually hear of about 6 bow kills per year on the land I have permission to hunt and the neighbors. I just find it hard to believe that 10% of the total archery harvest in the zone takes place on less than .4% of the total zone.  Of course it's possible especially since it is mostly agricultural land but something just doesn't seem right. 

All the above examples are poaching and have no connection to legal party hunting . Most people that are against party hunting cite example as above to promote a dislike for party hunting , when what they describe is actually poaching .

Nothing wrong with party hunting as it stands , of the examples given most would still take place with changing current law , the guys in the examples would laugh and continue to avoid no party hunting laws

the above examples open the door to making it easier to break the law as I   know you agree.   I will help you out though, the party hunting law in Minnesota will never go away in our lifetime, it's a bad tradition that has become engrained in Minnesotans.  

What would help the farmer, that wants less crop predation, is to allow hunters to hunt the land of farmers who accept public subsidies.  Those hunters, who are paying the subsidy through their taxes, would help the farmer out in an additional way by reducing the deer herd.  Who wouldn't accept two helping hands over one?  Also, all of these hunters that hunt the farmers land would be trespassing anyway laughing the whole time, may as well make it legal.  

Edited by leechlake

I think there are alot more un-registered deer than anyone thinks. The DNR reports about 60 bow kills per year in the zone I hunt. I usually hear of about 6 bow kills per year on the land I have permission to hunt and the neighbors. I just find it hard to believe that 10% of the total archery harvest in the zone takes place on less than .4% of the total zone.  Of course it's possible especially since it is mostly agricultural land but something just doesn't seem right. 

I agree. Especially with the bow season being so long, and little risk of being caught, I think for some guys there is a lot of temptation to not register a deer so they can continue hunting for multiple weeks/months. The same temptation is there during the firearms seasons, but with it being such a shorter season and so many more hunters and wardens afield at the same time, the risk of getting caught doing anything unsavory is higher.

I hunt public land in 157. Opening weekend was pretty discouraging with 0 deer shot an only 1 doe seen for a group 9 of us. This past weekend was more encouraging, as I saw a doe and a fawn plus another lone deer I couldn't get a read on. My dad saw another doe and a fawn as well. The wolf population has definitely picked up in recent years. It used to be rare, almost exciting, to see wolf scat on the trails. Now it's very common.

But in all honesty I think the biggest factor limiting our deer sightings is a lack of hunter activity to kick the deer up. Much of the clear cutting they did years ago has grown up so thick you can't really hunt it. Our group used to do a lot of deer drives, but we don't  anymore since some of the guys are older and not up for it - and a few of the younger guys don't want ever want to leave their stand. And since ATVs aren't allowed anymore a lot of other guys are staying closer to the road. In reality I think there are still a fair amount of deer where we hunt, but once the deer get cautious there's not much incentive for them to move during daylight hours.

I should clarify, the archery stats I listed were only an example and I do not have an agenda against bow-hunters.  I am a bow-hunter myself and have not purchased a firearm or muzzleloader tag in about 5 years.  As Getanet stated, I agree that the potential is there for some people to not register their deer so they can keep hunting.  Or maybe some people legally tag and quit hunting but they don't register because they don't think it matters if they are processing themselves so these deer never get counted in the DNR totals.

The area I hunt is primarily ag fields with smaller river bottoms and swampy areas located throughout.  The river bottoms and swamps obviously hold a lot higher deer densities but I did not expect 10% of the harvest to take place on about 2 square miles out of 452 square miles in the zone.

I hunt public land in 157. Opening weekend was pretty discouraging with 0 deer shot an only 1 doe seen for a group 9 of us. This past weekend was more encouraging, as I saw a doe and a fawn plus another lone deer I couldn't get a read on. My dad saw another doe and a fawn as well. The wolf population has definitely picked up in recent years. It used to be rare, almost exciting, to see wolf scat on the trails. Now it's very common.

But in all honesty I think the biggest factor limiting our deer sightings is a lack of hunter activity to kick the deer up. Much of the clear cutting they did years ago has grown up so thick you can't really hunt it. Our group used to do a lot of deer drives, but we don't  anymore since some of the guys are older and not up for it - and a few of the younger guys don't want ever want to leave their stand. And since ATVs aren't allowed anymore a lot of other guys are staying closer to the road. In reality I think there are still a fair amount of deer where we hunt, but once the deer get cautious there's not much incentive for them to move during daylight hours.

I notice just the opposite.  As a bowhunter, I think unpressured deer move much more and more naturally.  Pressured deer, you might see for a short time, but then they go into hiding, often becoming nocturnal.

A couple thoughts regarding above comments.   First off, I value all opinions even though we may often disagree. 

SSecondly,  I'm strongly in favor of party hunting.  When I was a young boy many moons ago,  Dad and I were hunting buddies in northeast Minnesota.  This is when everybody got 1 tag regardless of where you hunted.  It took me several years to figure out on my own dad was putting me in the best stand locations and he was passing deer so I would have multiple opportunities.   I'm very grateful for this.  In fact were still hunting buddies on the same land in northeast Minnesota.   I now get great joy in watching my dad (72 years old) getting to sit in the best stand and harvest nice bucks.   I don't mind passing anymore. It has worked for us and I hope it dodoesn't change.

Those who abuse laws are going to abuse laws.  But there is nothing wrong with  encouraging others to do things the right way.  I have taught firearms safety classes for ten years.  My chapter I teach is hunting ethics.  All we can do is encourage and teach others to be honest and fair, both adults and children alike.

I think it is awesome that you enjoy hunting with your dad....but I'm not sure why you couldn't enjoy hunting with your dad w/o party hunting.  There are many states across the country that don't allow party hunting but sons enjoy hunting with there dad's and vice versa.