• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anybody still getting out?

rascal23

Anybody besides swimbaitchucker still getting out?  Got out tues. and wed. on a local lake. Fishing was better on tues with the wind blowing. I thought wed morning would be better being closer to the front. Pike were going big time but nothing over 6-7lb. Tuesday gave up some decent bass up to 20". Everything less than 5ft.  Baits were lipless crank, jerkbait and chatterbait.  Thanks to Mike for giving up a green-pumpkin chatterbait that got the 3 biggest fish. Tried a jig but not for long, more so on wed when the wind was less.  Water temp has been dropping only a couple degrees a week down to 48 on wed.  Looks like I may get out a couple more weeks yet.  Been a great fall for fishing.

We still haven't pulled our boat/dock & we're up by Winnie. Been chasing some crappies & scouting for when there's ice. Went out earlier in the week when the weather was nicer & found some in the basin areas. They ran on the small side but we managed enough for couple of meals. Surface temps closer to 47 here, first part of the week. Playing with my camera, I found 43 at about 20' 

I've been out every weekend.  Its been hit or miss.  Some days I'll catch 40 and the next day on the same lake I'll catch 3.  Biggest so far since middle October is 21".  I've been catching them on tubes and jigs.  I've had a lot of short strikes too which on a slow day sucks.  By the sounds of it I need to try some horizontal baits.

I've been spending some time just looking for good, healthy weedbeds, shallow and deep, both for ice fishing and waypointing for the future. I think weedbeds that are still lush green this time off year are key weeds year round.  Fished Forest Lake a few weeks ago for muti-species. A lot of humps and breaks had dying scraggly weeds, but a few spots had coontail so lush you would throw it in a salad bowl.

Hit a lake by Hackensack on tues.  Had pretty good action for 48 degree water. Caught mainly smallies. The drop shot rig in 12-15 fow was the best. Got a few on Dt-10's as well.  

Shallow was slow for me. No pike two trips in a row.  Got one more trip for sure. Good luck

I have been deer hunting the last two weekends and the weather would have been better for fishing than it was for hunting! I was hoping to get out this weekend one last time, but now it looks like the darn cold weather is gonna set in. Just my luck. I see highs around here only 34-36 for this weekend. Might be a bit chilly, but I may still give it a shot. Otherwise, time to get the ice gear ready.

I had my last trip out on the lake yesterday. Water temp dropped down to 44-45 degrees so that's when I call it quits in the boat. Fished about 4 hours yesterday and caught 1 pike and 1 bass. Missed two other fish. Not a bad year on the water. Now I get to look forward to my trip down to El Salto in 3.5 weeks :-)

Fished Whitefish in the rain today. Bass were biting decently.  Caught em all on drop shot. Water temp was 46.  Cold next week. Winterizes the boat tomorrow, a sad day.  It was a fun year. As always, I learned a lot and look forward to next year.  Ice fishing just isn't that great. 

Seeing the cold forecast for this weekend, I decided to sneak out yesterday for one last time on the open water. I figure it would be my last chance to get out. I was able to fish only about 1 1/2 hours before the rain came in. I was able to pick up three bass, with one being a decent one a little over 4lbs, one 3 and one 2lbs. Got 2 on lipless cranks and one on a square bill.  Water was still 45-46 degrees. Sure wish this weekend would of been nice and not a high of 29-30. That's a little chilly for me.

Well another season is over Basses! See ya next year.:D  

Bass1_111815.jpg

Bass2_111815.jpg

Edited by RuddyDuck

Well, I lied. It wasn't over, guess I had to see some basses one last time!  :)

I made it out today for about 3.5hrs on a local lake. Water was a chilly 36-38 degrees, air temp was about 30-34. A little ice at the landing, but not much.  Fished quite a while without a bite. Then had a 30min window where I got 3 bass and a 4lb pike. Biggest bass was 3-12.Then nothing for the last hour. Got them all on a lipless crank kinda jigged, not cranked in fast. Tried slower stuff a little too, but nothing on that.

Actually wasn't too bad out with the sun warming a bit, but I was bundled up in my duck hunting gear to stay warm.  Now it is over for sure, as I put the boat away tonight for another year.

Bass1_112215.jpg

Bass2_112215.jpg

Edited by RuddyDuck