• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

opener

Our group of 6 saw 7 does for the weekend, in a buck only zone- 181.  Not a lot of sign around our area, but I didn't venture much.  I did 2 all dayers, and one until noon yesterday when we had to pack up.  I saw one doe for 2 seconds.  It was a long weekend for me.  I am done for the year with the boom stick, so on to bigger and better things.  i expected the poor hunting, but was still disappointed that my expectations came true.

We did not, as a group, see any wolf sign, and 2 of my uncles did a little walking.  Nice weather though!

Lots of nice deer on here, congrats!  I really like the kids with critters pictures.

What kind of dog are you talking about chasing deer?  Are you referring to a domesticated/family dog?  If so you may want to re-read the section in the regs pertaining to this.  A CO is the only one that can legally shoot a dog during the fall hunting seasons. 

Oh well.....

I bagged a small eight-pointer at sunset opening day in 347--so much for a nice fat doe. :D

I did not see much activity in the morning or during the day, but the 140 acres of standing corn on the south side of my twenty-some acres of timber might have had something to do with that. There is standing water in the timber, so the deer could spend all day in the corn eating, go right in to the woods for a drink, and either bed down there or go back to the corn without ever coming out in the open.

I was set up on a stand about thirty yards downwind of the timber and corn, and at one point heard a buck running around and grunting in the corn very close to me, but I never saw him.

What deer I did see during the day were moving quickly, having probably been pushed out of cover by other hunters or bucks. I saw one very nice buck in the distance, but did not have a shot at him. My neighbor got him at sunset right after I dropped my smaller buck--20" spread, ten points, tines about a foot high. Maybe next year the big one will come my way. :cool:

Don't want to be an old granny but the idea of "..throwing some lead at it hoping...." is a little unsettling to quite a few nearby hunters. Happy to hear you did NOT do it. There are times when there is enough lead flying around the woods in a haphazard manner.

Don't want to be an old granny but the idea of "..throwing some lead at it hoping...." is a little unsettling to quite a few nearby hunters. Happy to hear you did NOT do it. There are times when there is enough lead flying around the woods in a haphazard manner.

First off your taking my wording a little to literal. There was a target that happened to be in the brush. Is that better? 

Try again.

I feel your frustrations MJ1657...pretty bad experience when a dog owner can't keep their mutt in the yard especially when it comes to deer season!!!  I have had it happen and had a few choice words with the dogs owners after the incident!!

Hunting was good for us.   Lots of deer sightings.  Bagged 1 bruiser 10 pointer and passed numerous other bucks.

Dogs are a major pproblem for us that unfortunately isn't a fixable problem.  Tried multiple avenues without muck lukc. Very frustrating to say the least.

We saw all does for 4 days hunting.  We did tag two of them with our doe tags.  I hunt in area 180 and this is the most deer I've seen in some time.  Not one buck.  In one ten mile stretch driving up to camp I saw 10 does on the road past Island Lake Res.  Not saying the herd is back but it is a good sign.  Did not hear any wolves at all at our camp.  However 3 miles down the road at our friends camp, they heard them every night.  Heard more shots this season than last year for sure, but not like it used to be.  good luck.

Saw 6 bucks and some does and fawns, no shot chance at the 2 biggest bucks. The wind cost me 1 also, never heard him coming. 10:13AM after seeing 0 until then, 2:17PM and 4:09PM were the 3 biggest buck sightings time wise. The wind really hurt as in cattails, tall grass, willows they are through the shooting lanes quickly, I need to be ready b4 they get there but couldn't hear much the past few days. All 3 bigger bucks with does, the 3 yearlings had no does.