• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

opener

I'm sharing the stand with my Jr. Hunting partner this morning. And she done gone and fell asleep. Oh well. I guess I anticipated that. Keeps her from talking anyway. 

We had a doe come in this morning. Goose couldn't find it in her scope. I don't have a doe permit. So once it hit our wind it was gone. 

The only shooting this morning has been the duck hunters on battle ship row. Wow there are a lot of them there this year

(Lake Onamia)

Edited by Neighbor_guy

Story of day one: no doe tags!

Disregarding potential  duplicates 18 deer where seen today by our group.  Only 2 bucks, a spike and fork.  My 11 year old couldn't find the fork In the scope, so he got a pass.  I personally had deer from 7:30-11 am filtering through about every 20-30 minutes.  By far my best opener morning I can remember as far activity.  Everyone seen at least 3 deer today.

We passed on a spike tonight. A little while later it came flying past us in the brush. Right behind it was a dog panting like crazy. Couldn't get a shot on it. Probably should have thrown lead through the brush hoping to knock it down. 

That explains why the deer sign has been down on this piece of property. If it happens tomorrow night we will be better prepared. 

image.thumb.jpeg.d01ea09d2b0ecabcdfc5397sideways deer stand selfie!!!!

image.thumb.jpeg.cb1602d7144e2c4052e225f

i still think I prefer "sunrise over decoys" to "sunset over deer stand" but it was a great day. Time spent with the goose is always good time. She enjoyed herself a lot. We had to play the ladder stand dance a couple times to try and get her in position. Nothing doing and no shots fired. My dad shot a coyote this morning and had a wolf tailing a doe this afternoon. 

Other than the duck hunters to the north and his shot at the coyote we only counted seven shots all day today. 

0 deer seen on stand in 184 by Laporte. I did hear 3 that for 1 reason or another were spooked, the main one being the coyote convention behind me 400 yards or the guy on the white side by side driving around at the wrong time. I had 1 yote at 15 yards in the brush, 3 different colored kinds of squirrels, a rabbit and a chipmunk did stop by to visit.

5 minutes into the season I watched a very nice 3 1/2 yr old 8 pt. walk passed my stand (tall and well outside his ears!).  Would've been a slam dunk but for two primary reasons 1) neither of my son's were in stand with me this morning, and I'd really rather wait to see one of them get a crack at that buck, and 2) I really didn't want to end my season only 5 minutes into the opener!  Watched him walk into a thicket I know well, and I'm hoping he survives until tomorrow evening when I'm out with the boys. ;)

Watched 6 or 7 deer this morning, fair amount of shooting, some typical opening morning dumb stuff, parades of road hunters.  Really beautiful morning to be in stand.

Hunted 172. Deer were everywhere. Every single member of our group of 10 saw multiple deer, with most seeing 6+. We had no doe permits, so it was a young buck slaughterfest.  No sign of wolves, but lots of coyotes. If we have a mild winter, next year will be ridiculous.  Lots of other hunters, which was tough to get used to after our canoe hunts the last few years. 

After 2 days at our cabin on the east side of Nemadji forest near Kerrick. We have less deer sign than ever in 18 yrs. Wolf sightings at all time high. This area is total wilderness and we know that very little harvest happens here. We have taken no does in 18 yrs, and haven't taken a buck since 2010. Shots indicate not much harvest in this area in last 5 yrs. happy for everyone that is seeing lots of deer, but remember us who aren't when it comes to lobbying for fewer wolves other predators. Only time before they start to move west and effect others good hunting. Wolves can and do affect deer populations. They are pretty thick around us in 183.

After 2 days at our cabin on the east side of Nemadji forest near Kerrick. We have less deer sign than ever in 18 yrs. Wolf sightings at all time high. This area is total wilderness and we know that very little harvest happens here. We have taken no does in 18 yrs, and haven't taken a buck since 2010. Shots indicate not much harvest in this area in last 5 yrs. happy for everyone that is seeing lots of deer, but remember us who aren't when it comes to lobbying for fewer wolves other predators. Only time before they start to move west and effect others good hunting. Wolves can and do affect deer populations. They are pretty thick around us in 183.

We are in the same area, east of Nickerson.  Same story.  Very little deer sign, and a lot of wolf sign.  We didn't see any, but the tracks and scat are plentiful.  Lots of bear this year as well.  We say a couple does/fawns.  Maybe 3 shots each morning, not many hunters around any more because of the low deer pop. I'd guess.

Our group of 5 took 3. Two bucks and 1 doe. We left 2 doe permits unused of the three we got. Passed lots of does and small bucks. Another good year tons of deer seen in the woods and outside the woods in the fields on the way to and from the cabin.

hunted in 246

I don't have exact numbers of deer seen, but I will say our group of 11, 5 of which were 16 or younger saw quite a few deer. None of us hunted real hard, 6 total taken, and my wife was the only adult to pull the trigger. I had my 16 yr old nephew hunting with me, and it was his first time hunting. He was able to take a smaller buck on Sunday morning, which was awesome to be a part of. My 15yr old son shot a small rack 10 point buck Saturday morning. Was a great opening weekend, and I look forward to getting back up to the cabin to see what wanders by me. This is in 184 NE of Bagley.

IMG_2835.JPG

We passed on a spike tonight. A little while later it came flying past us in the brush. Right behind it was a dog panting like crazy. Couldn't get a shot on it. Probably should have thrown lead through the brush hoping to knock it down. 

That explains why the deer sign has been down on this piece of property. If it happens tomorrow night we will be better prepared. 

What kind of dog are you talking about chasing deer?  Are you referring to a domesticated/family dog?  If so you may want to re-read the section in the regs pertaining to this.  A CO is the only one that can legally shoot a dog during the fall hunting seasons.