• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pickled eggs!

On 4/15/2017 at 3:54 PM, delcecchi said:

I usually do 6 or 7, but I see no reason why a dozen wouldn't work.   Just keep the steam rolling.

Try chinese marbled tea eggs.  I might try those next.

I like to do about 3 dozen at a time. I guess I could do them in batches...

36 minutes ago, rundrave said:

Did you poke your eggs before you boiled them? 🤣

Not sure if anybody left here knows what that's reference to lol LINKY

Everybody left here are all old timers, I'm pretty sure we all remember the egg poking thing.

I have since found the holy grail of egg boiling and that is using my wife's Instant Pot. They are done in 10 minutes and they peel like a dream. No poking required!😀

15 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

Just got done making a fresh batch of icehole's pickled eggs. I added a couple pounds of jalapeno cheese polish sausage too.

image.png.223f95561a38590eeef0dfc8f1f2d8f3.png

Burning hot smellny Fart Bombs - that's why there called "iceholes" only eaten while on the ice. 

On 10/29/2021 at 6:05 PM, Big Dave2 said:

Just got done making a fresh batch of icehole's pickled eggs. I added a couple pounds of jalapeno cheese polish sausage too.

image.png.223f95561a38590eeef0dfc8f1f2d8f3.png

I’ve never seen someone add cheese to their pickled eggs. What’s the cheese like after being in the brine? I may have to give that a try. I’ve also got a bunch of venison country sausage that I could add. 

Edited by huntnfish

7 hours ago, huntnfish said:

I’ve never seen someone add cheese to their pickled eggs. What’s the cheese like after being in the brine? I may have to give that a try. I’ve also got a bunch of venison country sausage that I could add. 

this is what I'm asking about..

20 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

The only cheese is in the polish sausage as Smurfy pointed out.

Ok. That makes sense. Anyone have thoughts on what the cheese would be like in the brine? I would guess it doesn’t soak up the brine and would probably dissolve but it still sounds interesting. 

On 10/30/2021 at 12:04 PM, leech~~ said:

Yours do look way better then the 4 year old ones in fremedahid behind the bar! 👍

That's the thing, those are 95% of the pickled eggs I've seen I'm guessing.

I kept myself out of upnorth bar jar content eating contests.

A decent pickled egg intrigues me.

Problem is, I like eggs.......... but a lot of the time they do not like me.

One of these days. 

8 minutes ago, Duffman said:

That's the thing, those are 95% of the pickled eggs I've seen I'm guessing.

I kept myself out of upnorth bar jar content eating contests.

A decent pickled egg intrigues me.

Problem is, I like eggs.......... but a lot of the time they do not like me.

One of these days. 

Not even the pickled pigs feet or rocky mountain oysters?  🤔

I never try any of it!  🙃

24 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Not even the pickled pigs feet or rocky mountain oysters?  🤔

I never try any of it!  🙃

We stopped at The Woodtick once and my buddy was buying locals whatever they wanted out of the jars, just to see someone actually eat them. "Get this man a pig's foot!"   :D

3 hours ago, Duffman said:

That's the one.

It's been at least 4 years though.

Lately we have been stopping by The Pickled Loon further up hwy 6.

My camper isn't very far from the Pickled Loon. We stop in there all the time for supper or to quench a dusty thirst when we ride by on wheelers.

Where are you heading when you stop in at the Loon?

Wanderer goes off the same restaurant rating system that I have.

"Look how full that lot is, put it down on the list for future potential."

Been a Hwy 6 guy for over 40 years, best bud had a place on E. Fox Lake, Fifty Lakes.  Hunted The Old Grade and areas that are now a golf course. Emily to Cross Lake was our playground.

About 25 of us used to base camp at Ball Club Lake for duck hunting, and fan out from there. (Ball Club, Mud n Goose, White Oak, Squaw Lake, Little Ball Club, Cut Foot Sioux, The Old Man River, Egg Lake, and numerous unnamed potholes. Not proud of this......  ;) .......... but I've been to a lot of bars in this area. Some no longer around.

Then I went and hooked up with a girl whose folks had a lake place up by smurfy just north of Bowstring.

I have a shiat ton of great memories from Hwy 6 and places nearby.

Holy shiat Big D, that trail that runs by the Loon is VERY popular in that area.

I crack a smile at the amount of dust those folks are sucking in when I'm driving past.

:)

Edited by Duffman
Keep forgetting to add an "a" to shiat.

39 minutes ago, Duffman said:

Wanderer goes off the same restaurant rating system that I have.

"Look how full that lot is, put it down on the list for future potential."

Been a Hwy 6 guy for over 40 years, best bud had a place on E. Fox Lake, Fifty Lakes.  Hunted The Old Grade and areas that are now a golf course. Emily to Cross Lake was our playground.

Best rating system there is. 👍

I offered to take the wife there tomorrow for dinner.

I have close friends that live scattered throughout the Fifty Lakes/Cross Lake area and they know the Fox Lakes exceptionally well.  I haven’t hunted the Old Grade but have hunted around the golf course.  I’ve been hoping to buy a piece of that area for myself in the near future.  

I grew up traipsing around the Pine River area just west of there and a little south of 1.  Quite a few memories of my own but not many from the bars!

Edited by Wanderer