• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ION owners?

Gofishleech

How does the 10″ re-open holes? I currently have the Honda lite 10″ and its a great auger, I have zero complaints and it re-opens hole like a dream but I need a back up auger and have considered the ION for some time. I have no problem getting another Honda lite either but another reason for looking into ION is I have several houses with 8 holes and cleaning out ice ships is a time consuming ordeal. I have heard you can put the ION into revers and clean out holes??

How does the 10″ re-open holes? I currently have the Honda lite 10″ and its a great auger, I have zero complaints and it re-opens hole like a dream but I need a back up auger and have considered the ION for some time. I have no problem getting another Honda lite either but another reason for looking into ION is I have several houses with 8 holes and cleaning out ice ships is a time consuming ordeal. I have heard you can put the ION into revers and clean out holes??

You might have already seen this but I will post it again. :)

The 10″ ION is great at opening old holes. I use it for opening old holes in my fish houses. The reverse feature is really nice for clearing out the holes. Hold it in reverse for a few seconds and 90% of the ice chips are gone. Couple scoops and your good to go. The only down side of the 10″ ION is that it throws some ice while you drill. So there is some ice to clean up when your done. Well worth it tho! It’s so nice not having to run a power auger inside the fish hous

Mike, I've been looking at the ION but only want the 10" auger for inside my house.  Have you had any issues with the larger 10" blade?  How many holes can you drill with one battery (24"-36" ice)?

The only issue I have had with the 10" is the amount of ice it throws while drilling.  It will throw some chips.  That is only a minor issue to me tho.  I don't know exactly how many holes you can drill through that much ice.  I would think you could drill around 10 or so.  I bought a second battery so I wouldn't have to worry about the number of holes I could drill.  The reverse feature is nice too.  You can clear out 90% of the ice left in the hole.  

MIke could be dead right, since he has experience with the 10" blade. I've had pretty good success getting to the 1,000 inches of ice ION says you can drill with the 8" auger. So in the 30 - 34 hole neighborhood in an average of 30" of ice. I've never done exact tests, I'm out there to fish not figure out how many inches I can drill lol. But, generally I've found this to be accurate.

Using this as a starting point with the 8" auger, if I'm doing the right calculations (I could be way wrong lol) - I've done a few different and both landed on the same general answer - I seem to think you could get 22 - 25 holes with the 10" auger in 30 inches of ice.

BUT, like I said, Mike has on the ice experience so take his word over my math!

MIke could be dead right, since he has experience with the 10" blade. I've had pretty good success getting to the 1,000 inches of ice ION says you can drill with the 8" auger. So in the 30 - 34 hole neighborhood in an average of 30" of ice. I've never done exact tests, I'm out there to fish not figure out how many inches I can drill lol. But, generally I've found this to be accurate.

Using this as a starting point with the 8" auger, if I'm doing the right calculations (I could be way wrong lol) - I've done a few different and both landed on the same general answer - I seem to think you could get 22 - 25 holes with the 10" auger in 30 inches of ice.

BUT, like I said, Mike has on the ice experience so take his word over my math!

I was just taking a shot in the dark.  20 holes could be possible.  The only time I drilled a lot of holes with the 10" was on the Red River in Manitoba. That was early ice with a max of 12" of ice.  I drilled quite a few holes before the battery went dead.  I mainly use the 10" for inside my house or if I'm setting up for the day and not drilling a ton of holes.  If I'm hole hopping I throw on the 8".  

I was up at Red last year with my ION 10" and i think i was getting about 12 holes on one battery.  It sucks the juice pretty quick but i was fine with that as i was just drilling 6 holes in the house and then tip up holes throughout the day.  I think during this time we were in about 20" of ice maybe a little more.

I have both the ION with reverse and the Honda lite 10" both are great but if I had to chose just one I would take the ION. Every year my Honda just sits in the garage as a backup until the last time I get out then I use it just to run it and then put fresh gas in for next year. Don't really know why I keep it, I guess I keep thinking if I go lake trout fishing again and need to drill a ton of 10" holes it would be better then the ION. Don't get me wrong it's a very nice auger but I just prefer the ION that much more, IMO I've got the 2 best augers made!