• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deer Camp Grub

what's everyone's plan?  I cook and hopefully they drag deer.  Breakfast is normally just old school eggs, bacon, and toast.  Lunch we're having spaghetti pie which is a new number that I discovered a few months ago, dinner I haven't decided yet but leaning towards Tri Tip Sirloin, with sweet potatoes, and regular spuds for the lambos.  That's just for Saturday.

Breakfast is usually a bagel thrown into the hunting pack along with some granola bars.  Lunch is usually either jerky and granola bars eaten in the stand or if its really cold we may regroup back at the truck and heat up a can or two of soup to warm us up before heading back out.

Dinner on Saturday is always a turkey dinner put on for the hunters by the church in town.  We usually head right there from our stands so we get there and are VERY hungry.  Usually a couple rounds through the line recharge our batteries.

The 2nd day is pretty much the same until dinner.  Then we usually do chilli, lasagna, or a bacon wrapped pork tenderloin. The remaining days change from year to year and will depend on how many guys we have with us.

Breakfast is usually a cup of coffee and either a piece of pumpkin or apple pie from Jim's Apple Barn (Minnesota's Largest Candy Store).

I do my best to pull of an all-day sit so Lunch is usually a packed sandwich, granola bar and water. For snacks, I always have beef jerky and some candy bars I steel from my kids' halloween haul.

Friday night supper when people start arriving is usually chili or tacos, saturday supper is traditionally homemade beef stew with biscuits.  Look forward to it every year.

Friday is simple.  Homemade smoked polish sausage with chips and baked beans.  Saturday will be pulled pork.  Sunday a Tex mex soup my son-in law is making.[Makes the same every year], Monday will be polish sausage, baked beans and chips again.  Breakfast is  usually bakery donuts and stuff like that and coffee for the most part.  We usually have a mid day GTG for an hour or so so we can lie to each other of all the noises and possible big bucks nearby.  Then I cook up some more polish or chili dogs.  Cocktails and GOOD beer only at deer camp.  That means dark beer.  Bringing up some lunch meats and breads also  [home smoked summer and salami and Canadian bacon for those sandwiches.  We always bring too much of everything.  Looks like great weather up north next weekend also. good luck.

11178195_681479578650107_368783995574655

img_00174.thumb.jpg.bd5f9302662d6c15befd

This is always good anytime at deer camp.

IMG_1220.thumb.jpg.4dc2857c766a32e629432

This is always a good beer and we sample it a lot.

IMG_1287.thumb.jpg.e4c707873bc27f474fd9b

Didn't need any coolers last year.

IMG_1301.thumb.jpg.883003e951b216acf3108

Always nice to have a nice warm fire in the evening.

May not even be that ratio Leech..Most of our water froze on us.  We stay in my trusty 1974 Jayco camper, so no heat during the day when we hunt.  Going to keep the pilot light on this year and bring an extra tank of propane just in case.  Love that pumpkin beer Del.  good luck.

RH-  I was thinking of your Jayco yesterday.  I love deer hunting seeing those trailers going up and down the road.  I see hundreds of memories in every one that goes by.   Speaking of memories how come that at deer camp hearing those same stories over and over every year is fun?  Some are even true.

Ya, I bought that Jayco from a guy who had it stored up at a Mille Lacs Resort where a buddy of mine had his big trailer stored.  It was just him and his son that used it.  He kept it in great shape.  heck the oven was never used.  I paid $750 for it and I haven't had any trouble with it.  I did have to replace the tires right away since they were in poor shape due to sun and general exposure.  

Camp memories and there are so many.  We all tell tales of years ago and recent times.  We all claim they are true because we are the only witnesses.  I have hunted deer since 1967 and shot plenty of deer, but never a "trophy buck" that seems to evade me.  My story's of the big one that passed by, or just couln't get a good shot are told often [especially with a few pumpkin beers].  We did get a "buck of the year" that won a contest up at the bar on Island Lake near Duluth.  Dressed out at 275 lbs and took 3 of us at the time to drag out.  No ATV's at the time.  Pulled that monster for 25 yards and stopped to rest.  Now that was 3 of us and we were young and each of us were pretty husky.  We all have seen some like that one over the years but for many reasons, that's why those brutes are as big and beautiful as they are.   I think I could write a book on the campfire tales from our camp.  We hunt on public land and have hunted the same spot since  the 60's.  That in itself is a story.  good luck.

Me too.  I've never shot a big buck in Minnesota, couple okay ones but nothing to put on the wall for sure.

One year for Christmas my college hunting partner got me a Journal to write in and keep at the cabin.  That was almost 30 years ago.  What a gift.  We were looking at it last weekend recounting the real stories from the  the same situations that we had somehow turned into a little embellishment.   That book could sell itself.

in our group Friday nite we re on your own. sat sun and mon breakfast is usually I quick breakfast o some sort of veeny sausage sandwich.

out in the woods just sandwiches as we sit all day!

suppers....sat nite is venny neck roast, hash browns and corn. sunday is  my home brewed itialian spaggetti and garlic toeast.

3rd weekend sat supper id chicken on da charcoal grill!!!!!!

The first weekend we tend to hunt pretty hard, so its usually soups or stew, or something you can cook in a crockpot. By the second weekend we get a little more elaborate, maybe throw some meat on the grill, or maybe even fire up the smoker if weather permits. We do not have a camp cook, but I have been thinking about applying for the job. We have never gone hungry at deer camp, and I don't think we ever will!!    Good luck to all!

Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup one night, Marinated venison strips and fried potatoes one night. Plenty of sausage and hot dogs and sticks for lunch and snacks. I guess I'm the cook as my stand is at the shack ;) Breakfast is usually sausage patties with cheese on an English muffin. Gota listen to the game on Sunday no TV there yet.

Friday night is lasagna, Cesar salad and bread sticks, saturday night is thick cut pork chops on the grill,smashed baby red potato' with wildrice and sharp cheddar cheese and grilled green beans, Sunday night is a fish fry grilled tatters and homemade baked beans. Yah we never starve ...

Our traditions are Turkey dinner with all the fixins on Friday, lasagna either Saturday or Sunday, Beef commercials another night, and bar burgers another night (usually Monday for Monday night football).  We hopefully have one meal of deer heart and tenderloins with onions and mushrooms one night also.  I may bring up some halibut and deep fry chunks for a snack this year also.  Once most of our group leaves on Wed. then I eat leftovers for the rest of the week.

Got the pulled pork done yesterday for one of the deer camps meals.  Not just pork and sauce but I added some onions and jalapeno peppers to the mix.  Since my sauce [you can get the recipe on my page if you like www.sausageheavenoutdoors.com].  I used Reinhard Caught A Buzz Sauce for this.   This sauce was made by using my Butcher sauce and mixing it with one of the posters on here [Caught a Buzz].  His mother made up the Caught a Buzz part of the recipe and I thank her for that.  His sauce is more on the mustard side and I also posted that on it's own.  It's also a great sauce for ribs ect on it's own.  But the combo of the two has been a big hit.  I vac packed the pulled pork and it's in the freezer.  good luck.IMG_2446.thumb.jpg.b62d2928af2d81ca41e56

I sauteed the onions and jalapenos and added them to the mix.

IMG_2447.thumb.jpg.e96ae3d3455a7864a596f

Then I added the sauce and mixed everything together.  I'm taking extra sauce along in case someone wants some extra.  Should be good.

Reinhard, here is a quick recipe using smoked pulled pork for sandwiches. Toast both sides of the bun, a heaping pile of pulled pork,  top with your favorite coleslaw, and a bit of bbq sauce, we use sweet baby rays. Got that out of a smoking recipe book and it was call a "smoked a$$ sandwich"  Any which way you cant go wrong, but thought I would throw it out there!

Also you mention, only dark beer allowed at camp. Fargo brewing co, has an excellent dark, called Stones Throw, its a Scottish ale, and very good if you ever see it around!!

Edited by icehole10

How come when I was a kid all the wives of the hunters sent at the very least cookies?  Usually a pie or two.  They'd label the tuperware container with their name so it had a moderate chance of it making it back home.  I have many of those containers that didn't make it back home in my cabin to this day, Betty Lundgren, Fran Sharockman, Joyce Martinson, Mabel Swanson written in "Magic Marker" on the container.  Those snack containers mean almost as much to me, memory wise, as the hunting times.  

I envy you guys with camps, never had the opportunity for one, when I started 35 yrs ago, all the uncles and cusins gatherd at Gmas, and me and dad and borther stayed at our place half mile away, after opening day we'd gather at grandmas for supper. but pretty much collapes on the couch from all the fresh air and being made to drive woods due to pecking order. we hunted five mile from home so there is no need for a camp i guesse. we since have purchased and 80 thats getting over crowded now but still no camp. an idea was brought up to build a bunk house on the 80 but scraped that because the local youngsters would find it and party in it. so every night we just go home and decide if we wanna get up early again. Maybe some day i can have a camp for my kids and their kids.