• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

what kinda smoke pole ya got!

kinda slow on the forums so figured id opt out a new thread, got any lics of ur smoke poles?  my stainless omega will be carried for rifle, and my blued omega for ML season, stainless is pushing two pellets and 300 gr. shockwaves, blued is pushint 2 pellets and 200 grn shockwave. i want to upthe blue to 300 but got some ammo to yet. love shooting ML's even more fun with a scope

20151023_165626.jpg

Most of you fellas won't remember this,  but when the black powder craze started it was because guys wanted to shoot their old,   authentic flint lock and percussion black powder rifles, It was  GREAT fun. Every body checked to make sure those old pieces were safe to shoot.  They would get together on weekends and burn up some powder.

Then somebody had and idea how to do away with some aspects of shooting those old weapons. Then another guy came up with an even more modern slant on the subject, Gradually the old muzzle loaders faded and the old times with them. Then it became modern and sophisticated weapons. Then scopes, special powders and pellets even. then stainless parts and pieces and fiberglass stocks. Then the users demanded their own muzzle loader season.  Then they demanded to use scopes (scopes on what was supposed to be a vintage black powder muzzle loader) and other advantages.

Don't misunderstand-I'm not whining about the changes.  But it is sad to see the original intent of the concept of hunting with great grandpas rifle has long faded and been trampled in a modernist  rush to make everything more "up to date" so we can shoot those "old" weapons.

If you really want to get into black powder muzzle loading find an old piece or have one built and properly equipped.  No scopes. No range finder in your pocket. An actual powder horn on your belt. Cast your own bullets.   The one concession to modernity would be the use of shooting glasses when using flint locks and percussion cap guns. 

Oh.  And when was the last time you saw anybody at the range shooting a flint lock?

It seems to be a universal weakness of man that he has to tinker, and tinker and change until what he loved is morphed into something he no longer recognizes.

And now,  I'm taking my 36.cal squirrel rifle made in PA along with some powder, cast leas bullets and some suede patches and heading for the woods.  I've got a sharp new flint in it and just cleaned and swabbed to barrel.

Outta my way with those modern toys.

Ha Ha Ha

Most of you fellas won't remember this,  but when the black powder craze started it was because guys wanted to shoot their old,   authentic flint lock and percussion black powder rifles, It was  GREAT fun. Every body checked to make sure those old pieces were safe to shoot.  They would get together on weekends and burn up some powder.

Then somebody had and idea how to do away with some aspects of shooting those old weapons. Then another guy came up with an even more modern slant on the subject, Gradually the old muzzle loaders faded and the old times with them. Then it became modern and sophisticated weapons. Then scopes, special powders and pellets even. then stainless parts and pieces and fiberglass stocks. Then the users demanded their own muzzle loader season.  Then they demanded to use scopes (scopes on what was supposed to be a vintage black powder muzzle loader) and other advantages.

Don't misunderstand-I'm not whining about the changes.  But it is sad to see the original intent of the concept of hunting with great grandpas rifle has long faded and been trampled in a modernist  rush to make everything more "up to date" so we can shoot those "old" weapons.

If you really want to get into black powder muzzle loading find an old piece or have one built and properly equipped.  No scopes. No range finder in your pocket. An actual powder horn on your belt. Cast your own bullets.   The one concession to modernity would be the use of shooting glasses when using flint locks and percussion cap guns. 

Oh.  And when was the last time you saw anybody at the range shooting a flint lock?

It seems to be a universal weakness of man that he has to tinker, and tinker and change until what he loved is morphed into something he no longer recognizes.

And now,  I'm taking my 36.cal squirrel rifle made in PA along with some powder, cast leas bullets and some suede patches and heading for the woods.  I've got a sharp new flint in it and just cleaned and swabbed to barrel.

Outta my way with those modern toys.

Ha Ha Ha

Ufatz, my father in law let me have one of those same type of rifles you speak of that he used to use himself.

It's a Lyman Great Plains rifle in 50 caliber I believe and he used to shoot patched balls with powder out of it. It's a cap lock. It decorates the area over my propane fireplace now as I don't deer hunt but it is in great condition and if the urge to deer hunt ever bites I might just have to take it down and use it

Really? you cant stay on topic, seen that alot in you fatz. If I wanted to start a topic about the vintage days long gone that would be the title. or better yet you should. Not whinning about the fact that ur post has nuthing to do with the topic title at hand. but if thats what u want to talk about, then start that title thread. Iam interested in what people have, start some freindly chatter and get ramp up a slow time. its great yur keeping old traditions alive, just dont tread on new ones,

I will post up some picks today when I get back over to the house. 

I'm shooting a "modern" (tongue firmly planted in cheek) stainless thumb hole omega.  Think I may put a red dot reflex sight on it as they eyes aren't what they once were. I am pushing 110gr of powder with a .44cal Hornaday ftx slug. 

Pics later....

When I hit my dads this wkd I'll take a picture of my TC Black Mountain magnum .50 cal. I shoot 370 grain maxiballs with original black powder, will never fully modernize, unless we can't find the original BP, my fluorescent sights fell off year 1 in the gun case and I'm not putting them back in it, what for, still shooting the center of a paper plate at 80 yards, good to go. Hate that stink when you boil the water and clean it, gives me a gut ache every time. Bought it the first season of the all-season deer license whenever that was at Reed's in Walker, about all they had then.

i use this an hoppes bor cleaner done the soap and water hate it

20151029_202209.jpg

I run hoppes and this thru with a brass brush and patches takes it all off and the i run some bore butter in the barrel, help season it.  Ive never boiled the water when i did it, just hot soapy water in a bucket, put the barrel in the bucket and run the brush up and thru several times till clean, i just dont like water around any of my guns.

image.thumb.jpeg.3566cccee5c3edf9f148db3

there you go. Thumb hole stainless omega. Crush rib sabots, .44cal 225gr Hornaday FTX slugs. And I use 3pellets of 777 for a 110gr load. (2)-30gr and (1)-50gr

i leave the scope rail on because I can see over it easy to use the open sights. 

As far as cleaning goes. I have found that windex or sparkle glass cleaner works best. A few passes with a wet patch and a few with a dry patch and it's done. Run a bore butter patch at the end of the year when I put it away. 

Thanks. It's an old pic, I didn't even go out for opener this year. Took a weekend off since we have the longer rifle season. 3 long weekends of spotting zero deer, I wasn't too eager to run on out there with the smoke pole this year. lol!

I do plan on going out this next weekend though.

We have another MZL kicking around the house too, an old thompson "black diamond". It's new enough to have shot gun primer ignition, but it's an inline that leaves the primer somewhat exposed. Pull the bolt back, insert the primer and the bolt stays back until you pull the trigger. It's dated but it works I guess.

Any luck for you so far Boar?

I've got a Knight Disc muzzy.  Probably 12 years old plus.  Never killed a deer with it and never have shot at a deer with it.  I'm either a bad muzzy hunter or am snake bit.  Have killed 4 big elk with it though.  

image.jpeg

Edited by leechlake

Pretty much the reason im switching to loose powder, would love to go west with mine. Awsome picture Kris, way jeleous!. Not yet dave, start a new job tomorrow, so been on edge as of late. this week will determine where my mind is at and hope to get out and sit in da tick stuff.

Congrats on the new job! Long time no speaky I guess. I hope that goes well for you.

I've been shooting loose powder for a while now. I kept changing to the newest most bestest and cleaning burning powders as they came to market. I think I stopped at a new release or 2 ago, lol!

I think I'm shooting.... I dunno, what ever the brand is that Jim Shocky is advertising for. Actually I think they even call it jim shocky gold or something like that. 

I've been haunted by the old encore "crud ring". Meaning 2nd shots are tough to load because a hard ring of crud forms down close to the bullet seating area. I can seat a second shot ok, a third shot you almost need a hammer on the rod to seat the bullet against the powder, 4th shot aint gonna happen. lol!

I think the latest loose powder out there to help with this is buffalo bore or something like that? Haven't tried it yet.

Thanks! life just get busy, we'll shoot the po op at S tip over a snap fizzer or 2 or 3,lol  Yea the crud ring.... thats why i always swab, but thats a pain. was looking at shockeys, dont think he'd put his name on crud, being I think he's the first north american super slam with a muzzy. heard good things of buckhorn too.

Just picked up my Traditions Pursuit Ultralight G4 in .50cal.  It comes to my shoulder really nice, it's also nice and light at 5.75 pounds.   It's drilled and tap for scope bases, so I might put on a removable scope and use it for both shotgun and muzzleloader season.  I'm going to start with 100 grains of triple 7 pellets 250 grain Hornady  SST-ML. 

20151222_124109_resized.jpg

20151222_124125_resized.jpg

Agree Boar, I don't care to do the boiling water deal but it's working just fine so I'll continue or will I. Boar, when you do the soapy water cleaning are you then saying to dry the inside of the barrel are you just running dry patches etc. and eventually the bore butter once dry ? Do you let your barrel stand for awhile before running the bore butter ? Just curious because I am tired of wearing the leather glove and drawing that hot water up and down eventually can't even hold onto the barrel it gets so hot.