• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Johnson 2 stroke

Question

I purchased a 17 foot boat last fall with a 90 Johnson. My purpose for the boat is primarily sking, tubing and fishing smaller lakes. I have the opportunity before they deliver this spring to upgrade to a 4 stroke but don't know if it is worth it?
Any Suggestions would be helpful
Thanks

7 answers to this question

Four strokes are more expensive but have a few advantages. They don't smell as bad as the two strokes, which is great for skiing & tubing. You don't have to worry if you have enough oil, just gas. They don't have the problems two strokes have with the plugs fouling out if you run slow speed like when you are trolling. Also a lot of places are banning two strokes because of pollution.
Good luck...

Wishin2BFishin

I dont have a four stroke myself but everyone I have talked to are very satisfied with them.No gas smell better mileage no expensive injection oil run quieter.If I were to replace my motor I would go four stroke.

2 strokes are not going to be outlawed. All current OB's are going to be grandfathered in when the EPA's 2006 emission rules go into effect. Even at that point 2 strokes are not going to be outlawed, they will just have to meet emission standards.

Another thing to think about is, how long before they really stick it to those of us with two strokes and say everything has to be a four stroke. You know it will be coming some day, you could head them off at the pass for yourself if you buy a four stroke now.

Four-strokes eject no oil/gas into the water like 2-strokes do. Multiply that by the millions of 2-stroke motor-hours on the lakes in Minnesota each year.

Four-stroke. Definitely.

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 03-07-2003).]

Check out the new johnson line up, they are going to a direct inject type system. It will be still be a two stroker but will pass emissions testing. It will have all the benefits of a four stroke with out the added weight.