• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Using #4 Rippin Raps

drscholl14

IDO turned me on to using Rapala #4 Rippin Raps last year on the ice.  I had great success basically "calling" fish in with them, but no success actually getting fish to hit on them.  Was wondering if anyone has had better results with these.  Maybe putting minnow heads or something on the hooks to help entice strikes?  I've found that the action of the bait is greatly compromised with bait on the trebles. 

Edited by drscholl14

I typically don't get any bites on them either but they are great for calling in fish. I like to have one or 2 dead sticks in the shack, one with maybe waxies and another with a minnow, or minnow head etc.

When I am not marking anything I can start jigging one of the raps or even something like a chubby darter and it will call fish in and I can get a bite on one of my other lines.

It helps that in SD we can have 4 lines, so you can try to determine what the fish are looking for and swap out as needed.

I think the key to getting bit once you call them in is the jiggle / rocking motion. I think they talk about it in the video a little bit. I think they say rip it to bring them in and then jiggle it to get them to bite.

I have also heard them say it isn’t a works every day bait, but the days they do work they work great. I think it will call them in every day, but the days you can get them to commit to it are 50/50. But a lot of the time you can get them to hit a dead stick or a spoon once the rippin rap calls them in.

Two of the nicer fish I caught last season were two big rainbow trout, each going a little over 5 pounds. Both were taken on the Green Tiger UV RR #4. Both came in from nowhere and just smoked 'em. Probably caught another 40 or so rainbows and brookies last year, but none over 2 pounds.

Sure made me a believer.

trout 1.jpg

trout 2.jpg

not going to get a lot of neutral/negative fish to hit the RR.  I've caught way more perch on the RR than I have walleye, but I hole hop quite a bit, so I tend to run into more perch than walleye.  I have had some good nights after dark where the walleyes will show up and just crush the lure though.