• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Easy Applesauce

Easy Applesauce

Easy Applesauce

I have a wealth of apples this year so this afternoon I along with one of the granddaughters made applesauce. A pretty simple recipe as we first peeled and cored about twenty good size apples. We then sliced them up and added a quart of apple cider to a cooking pot along with one cinnamon stick. We brought the mix to a boil and then tuned down the heat and let it simmer with the lid on for twenty minutes. I then drained off the liquid, removed the cinnamon stick and using a ladle I filled the blender about half full, added a little of the apple juice from the pot and puree the mix for a few seconds. I made about a quart which was quickly dived up between my two daughters. I just got a call that they want more! We prefer the unsweeten applesauce but you can certainly experiment by adding more cinnamon and sugar to you mix. And the wife says I can’t cook ! The remainder of the cider will be used for the next batch or we just might add a little rum and tuck in the back of the fridge for when it gets cold outside.

applesauce_zpsioyiefcd.jpg

Edited by Bobby Bass

Really easy applesauce....

Don't peel or core apples.  Wash if you are picky.  Or if you sprayed them recently. 

Cut in chunks, like quarters. 

Cook until soft, run through a food mill (foley being the classic around here).

Discard peels and seeds. 

Voila, applesauce. sweeten to taste. 

I have like 15 apple trees, and have made a lot of applesauce.  It is a good use for the apples that are misshapen or have a bad spot. 

Apples don't do as well now that I am retired and go north in the summer.  Not much of a crop this year, although I think that is due to the every other year thing, mostly. 

I forgot to add that we have one of them corer/peelers that does an apple in about ten seconds. You guys didn't think I was peeling them maybe by hands did Ya ! 

Those work really well with nice round apples.  Now my apples on the other hand were typically not nice and round.