• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Auger Input requested

RiverChuckNorris

Well, thinking it may be time to put the old Jiffy on C-List and invest in a new hole digger.  Hoping to generate as much feedback as possible here before pulling the trigger at an upcoming ice show.

While I love using the electrics, I don't think they can cut enough 9" holes for me, especially later in the year (I'm far north in March).  A couple other qualifiers include:

-I tend to hole hop.  30-50 hole days aren't uncommon

-I've got an ice castle and therefore like 9" holes (don't freeze in as quickly on cold nights)

-Wouldn't mind something a little lighter, although not a deal breaker

-Am a little concerned about propane drills in very cold weather (I fished in -10 or colder on 3 different trips last year)

-Obviously covet a reliable machine

Thanks!

I bought the Honda Strikelite last year very light . I hole hop also Love it just start it right away let it idle 2-3 minutes ready to rock and roll. Hope this helps. I have had many Eskimos nice augers but very heavy that's why I switched.

I will second the Honda Strikelite. It's been a really good auger for me, I switched from a 2 stroke Lazer. It starts on 2-3 pulls max, idles right away, and cuts great. It pulls way easier than my 2 stroke, I am pretty sure a 4 year old could start this thing, and you wouldn't believe how quiet it is when it's at idle. You don't have to fiddle with the choke or throttle to keep it running good right when it starts, once it fires it is running smooth.  It doesn't smell at all (I use it in my wheelhouse) and there is no oil dripping or mess anywhere on the machine. Best part is I don't bring gas, even on a trip, because I can pull into any gas station and fill it up if needed. Plus, the Lazer bits are the best in the industry, I will never have anything else. I had my old one for 9 years and never changed the blades once, and I hole hop like crazy (it had thousands of holes under it's belt by the time I sold it). They shave ice instead of throwing chips everywhere,  so I leave my wheelhouse partially up, drill holes, scoop shavings, then lower it... there is absolutely no mess in the house (granted this wouldn't work for 2'+ of  ice).

The batteries have obvious disadvantages and the propane you have to keep warm and I hate buying and throwing away those little green tanks, so to me this was an easy choice and I am glad I went the route I did. 

I jumped from SM to Nils a few years back. Love my Nils. But if you are constantly reopening holes, it may not be what you are looking for.  It is very light, cuts like crazy, reliable, low fumes but that's the Amsoil I run through it. 

Well, thinking it may be time to put the old Jiffy on C-List and invest in a new hole digger.  Hoping to generate as much feedback as possible here before pulling the trigger at an upcoming ice show.

While I love using the electrics, I don't think they can cut enough 9" holes for me, especially later in the year (I'm far north in March).  A couple other qualifiers include:

-I tend to hole hop.  30-50 hole days aren't uncommon

-I've got an ice castle and therefore like 9" holes (don't freeze in as quickly on cold nights)

-Wouldn't mind something a little lighter, although not a deal breaker

-Am a little concerned about propane drills in very cold weather (I fished in -10 or colder on 3 different trips last year)

-Obviously covet a reliable machine

Thanks!

I went from a heavy Jiffy that I used to love. Once I got my NILS power auger, I did not miss that Jiffy. You will not regret getting a NIL auger. They start great, are light weight, cut holes fast & have a great 7 year warranty! 

I bought te new eskimo 40 propane for my house, it dont sling it all over, I love it but thats all I do is the house primarily. if i venture out its still a great auger just keep the propane in a pocket. its a 10"

If your old Jiffy was good, you'll love the new Jiffys.  I've use a 8" model Stealth STX model and love how fast it cuts through ice thanks to the Ripper blades on it.  I checked their page and don't see it there so I'm sure if they are still making it or not.  But I see the 4G Lite model has Ripper blades and stealth armor on the auger and it would be a lot quieter and lighter than my STX, which would be great for the hole hopping you do.  It's also a 4 stroke so there'd be no need to mix the gas and oil!  Stick with Jiffy and go for the 4G.

Love my Strikemaster with the Honda on it. Works excellent in a house because of the very minimal fumes and it works well hole hopping on the prairie lakes here in North Dakota as well. Couldn't be happier. Has a bulb on it to prime and typically only one or two pulls even when its been on the ATV on the trailer for a few days in sub zero temps.

I started with a Jiffy 30 - heavy beast (sold it).  Went to a Strikemaster... the 224 bit was better than the motor (sold it).  Bought a 6" NILS hand auger for the walkable fishing times.  Light weight and not a big deal for holes up to 12" thickness.  Found a Tanaka power head TED-270 for 270$ a couple years ago.  I use the 6" bit / Tanaka motor combo whenever not in the wheel house.  This year in March I bought a 10" bit for the ION on sale for 112$ and had my machinist friend make an adapter for the motor.  Spins true just need ice to test it out.  I figure if a battery can spin it - so can the rpms of the Tanaka. The 10" holes for the perm will be nice.  I have the 8" nils drill with both heads, power point and regular.  Not the very best for reopening holes - and brought me to research the ion bit for that. If this setup works I'll be selling the 8" nils to fund some other crazy idea I've got.

I'm into GAS motors!!!

There are many options out there.  Sometimes you need to think out of the box.

IMG_1364.jpg

I like the 4 stroke idea and not having to mix oil.  The thought of not spraying ice chips everywhere when I'm in my house also sounds fantastic.  Leaning towards the Honda Strikemaster based on the above right now (unless I hear otherwise), although I'll look at the 4 stroke Jiffy too before pulling the trigger.

I like the 4 stroke idea and not having to mix oil.  The thought of not spraying ice chips everywhere when I'm in my house also sounds fantastic.  Leaning towards the Honda Strikemaster based on the above right now (unless I hear otherwise), although I'll look at the 4 stroke Jiffy too before pulling the trigger.

Not to complicate things, but if you decide that Propane is the way to go, I'd also take a look at the Eskimo HC40. I'm a Very similar fisherman to you, hole hopping and drilling a lot of holes (also live in far Northern WI). I'd love an Ion electric auger, but I'm in the same boat regarding batteries lasting - it'd be awesome for early / late ice, middle of winter I think I'd need multiple batteries.

Speaking only on my experience with the two, I now have an Eskimo HC40 for a few reasons. The Jiffy didn't like to start very well in colder weather, the Eskimo starts with 2-3 pulls first time drilling that day and 1 pull 95% of the time after that even on very cold days. I actually got stranded with my Jiffy once where it wouldn't start on a cold day and had to borrow an auger from a guy close to me. This didn't happen all last year with the Eskimo. I think the difference is Eskimo built a propane specific engine, Jiffy fixed a gas engine to run propane (I worked a summer job for a guy with a gas mini-excavator that was converted to propane and it had the same issue - it didn't like the cold but was awesome in the Spring / Summer / Fall). Thats just a hunch though, I'm not an engine expert by an stretch. The Eskimo is also lighter for what its worth. Sorry, not trying to complicate things, just wanted to throw in personal feedback to help you out.

Not to start a fight here but mixing oil takes all but 5 seconds (never understood this argument)...changing oil in your 4 stroke is going to take you time. I'm only responding to this because if time or the hassles is what you have a problem with, the 2 stroke is going to be better off for you. 

Not to start a fight here but mixing oil takes all but 5 seconds (never understood this argument)...changing oil in your 4 stroke is going to take you time. I'm only responding to this because if time or the hassles is what you have a problem with, the 2 stroke is going to be better off for you. 

Good point.  Im thinking the oil change happens in the fall though when I'm prepping everything.  More importantly, thinking the 4 stroke will run a LOT cleaner/less smoke and quieter, which will be especially nice in the castle?

Yes, ClownColor makes a good point about the oil - no arguments there. That's not why I switched to Propane though.

More for the reasons you've stated RiverChuckNorris, especially running it inside an ice castle. It's quieter (not like electric), but it is significantly cleaner and has less smell. This is why I moved to Propane, I travel in a small SUV and store my auger in my basement, so dealing with gas just got be a hassle with so many good propane / electric auger options out there. As for changing oil, my Eskimo only takes like 3 ounces, so I do it once in Fall and then again mid-winter (and I actually drain it in Spring too when I'm done fishing) just to be safe. I'm certain I'd only need to do once a year, but for me the piece of mind is worth it for how little oil it takes.

Edited by GillAssasin13

Down2Earth, that is not the case with the Honda, you can lay it anyway you want. I like not mixing oil in the gas not because of the actual mixing, but because it smokes WAY less and there isn't a constant oil drip out of the exhaust. I use AMSoil 100:1 in my old Lazer, which was better than traditional 2 stroke oil, but it still had smell and left an oil mess (the back of my Trailblazer is evidence of that lol). 

Ions can drill a lot of holes through thick ice.  I use an ion up here in Ely.  Buy a spare battery and your good to go.  You would have to go with the 8in for hole hopping and the 10in for the house.  I have the 10in drill for inside the ice castle.  No fumes.  Its really nice.  The Ion is light too.  Easy to punch lots of holes.  

Ions can drill a lot of holes through thick ice.  I use an ion up here in Ely.  Buy a spare battery and your good to go.  You would have to go with the 8in for hole hopping and the 10in for the house.  I have the 10in drill for inside the ice castle.  No fumes.  Its really nice.  The Ion is light too.  Easy to punch lots of holes.  

I agree with Mike Stark. I have an 8" Ion that I have had for 2 years and love it. The no fumes in the ice house is really nice, and like he mentioned you can buy a spare battery if you plan on hole hopping and drilling a lot. I have only had trouble with the battery getting to cold to operate once and now I always just keep it with me in a backpack or such on the really cold days. I really like mine and it might not be the right choice for you but they are great augers.

Edited by Geiber

I own a jiffy pro 4 propane auger 9". Great auger. Very quiet, cuts great and less fumes to deal with. Does have a little trouble on colder days. (Anywhere below zero) Gotta let it idle for a bit like any other auger and it snaps out of it right away. They are on the heavy side. 30 sum lbs I think?? Looking to go to a lighter 4 stroke as I do A LOT of hole hopping each time I fish. Hope that helps

RiverChuckNorris - Curious what (if you decided yet) you went with? After seeing some reviews on here and other forums about the ION I did a boat load of research including talking to some guide friends of mine who used them as far North as LOW last year in 40+ inches of ice. After this research, I actually just pulled the trigger on one for this upcoming season and it came in the mail yesterday. Seems like a very slick unit, now I just need ice to try it out! I love my Eskimo HC40 and there isn't anything wrong with it, I just wanted to give the ION a shot because I trek (aka: drag my shack and gear because there is no other access) into back-woods lakes quite a bit, and the lighter weight is very appealing to me on these trips.

Gill - I'll probably make my purchase at the Blaine Ice show next month but at this point, am pretty set, based on research and input above, on the Honda Strikemaster Strikelite.  My buddy is going to buy the Nils this fall as well, so it'll be interesting to run the two units side by side.

In summary, I'm going with the Honda for lighter weight, less smoke, not spraying ice chips, reliability, confidence in cold weather starts, confidence in number of holes able to drill, less noise (maybe?) and not having to mix oil with the gas.  

In an ideal world, I may purchase a 10" Ion to leave in my ice castle down the road, but for now, barring a sudden change in heart, I'll put my money on the Honda and let the electric market evolve a bit more.