• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Garage Heater

Sandmannd

Going to get a new garage heater. Which one would you get.

This one is $488.

MHU80NG.jpg

This 80,000 BTU Big Max natural gas garage unit heater ships as natural gas and includes NG to LP conversion kit

Includes Natural Gas to Propane Conversion Kit
Spark ignition features self-diagnostic control module
Includes angle brackets (2) for ceiling mount
4" flue size
CSA certified
Easy installation and operating versatility
Heats up to 1000 sq ft.
1/2" gas connection

Shipping Dimensions: 30.5 x 27.5 x 22.0
Shipping Weight: 88.1 lbs

Fuel Type: NG    Application: Heater
Mounting Type: Garage Heater    Ignition Type: Electric
Recommended Room Size: 2,000 SQ FT    Number of Heat Settings: Thermostat
Heat Output: 80,000 BTU    Heat Dispersion Type: Forced Air
Overall Width: 21.75"    Overall Height: 27.50"
Fuel Capacity: NG SERVICE/ MIN 100 GALLON CYLINDER    Heating Time: BTU/HR
Voltage: 110V    Wattage: 2400 W
Special Features: Can Convert To LP     

This one is $599

BRT30456075.jpg

This 75,000 BTU direct vent natural gas garage heater features a special "low profile" design which allows for installation in low clearance applications.

82% thermal efficiency
Operates on a thermostat or a wall switch (sold separately)
120V service required
LP conversion kit included
Mounting brackets included
Designed for 3 car garage installs
4" Vent connection
Available in other voltages and set up for LP gas direct from factory through special order
Field convertible to separated combustion with use of approved vent kit (special order) for applications with moisture or mild corrosives in air stream. Separated combustion takes fresh out from outside for the combustion process instead of using the potentially contaminated air in the space
Certified for residential garage and commercial applications
Unit weight: 85 lbs

Shipping Dimensions: 32.5 x 27.25 x 18.0
Shipping Weight: 89.0 lbs

Fuel Type: Natural Gas    Application: Residential; Light Commercial; Agricultural
Mounting Type: Ceiling Mount    Ignition Type: Direct Spark
Recommended Room Size: See Sizing Guide or Contact Menards for Individual Application Heating Load Calculation    Heat Output: 61,500 BTUs
Heat Dispersion Type: Forced Hot Air    Overall Width: 30"
Overall Depth: 26.188"    Overall Height: 16.813"
Voltage: 115/1/60    Special Features: Field Convertible to Separated Combustion; Single Burner Orifice; LP Gas Conversion Kit Included; Up to 83% Thermal Efficient
Listing Agency Standards: ETL, ETLc

Those seem rather large for a garage, but I am big on efficiency. My dad has a 45,000 btu in a properly insulated 2.5 car garage and it heats it up to a comfortable temp in a matter of a few minutes. Remember, if a furnace is too big you will lose efficiency fast and short cycling a furnace (clicking on and off a lot) will shorten the life of the unit. 

Maybe someone with some expertise can chime in, but if it was me I would get somewhere between a 45k and 60k furnace. Is the garage attached? If it's attached, it should stay somewhere around 30-35 degrees or so throughout the winter? The Hot Dawg 60,000 btu would be perfect! I would definitely not go any bigger than that, judging by how well my dad's 45k furnace works.

If it's not attached and you don't heat it regularly, I would then want something bigger, just because it would take forever to heat up the slab.

I went with a Reznor for higher quality.  Mine is 60MBtu in a 3.5 stall garage with 10' ceilings, 4" blown insulated walls, 4" ceiling insulation under attic decking. Btu rating is about right, cycle times are good, and I can go from 40F up to 70F in 15 to 20 minutes.

I know Lowes sells the Big Maxx in a 50,000 BTU version. Sounds like that should be enough for me. I have 6" insulated walls with seven inch blown in the attic under decking. 

Here's what I find on their page.

50000 Convection Garage Heater (Natural Gas)

• Turn your garage or barn into a heated work space that can be used comfortably 12 months per year - now includes a thermostat and conversion kit
  • Mr Heater unit heaters use a built-in, electric, high-velocity fan to pull cool air into the rear of the heater and over a heat exchanger forcing hot air into the surrounding area
  • Heats up to 700 sq ft or a 2-car garage
  • Spark ignition features self-diagnostic control module
  • Includes 2 angle brackets for ceiling mount, thermostat a natural gas to propane conversion kit
  • 3-in flue size for vertical vent, and 4-in for horizontal
  • Category 1 vertical; Category 3 horizontal venting
  • Proper venting is required and sold separately

80000 Convection Garage Heater (Natural Gas)

• Turn your garage or barn into a heated work space that can be used comfortably 12 months per year - now includes a thermostat and conversion kit
  • Mr Heater unit heaters use a built-in, electric, high-velocity fan to pull cool air into the rear of the heater and over a heat exchanger forcing hot air into the surrounding area
  • Heats up to 1000 sq ft or a 3-car garage
  • Spark ignition features self-diagnostic control module
  • Includes 2 angle brackets for ceiling mount, thermostat a natural gas to propane conversion kit
  • 4-in flue size
  • Category 1 vertical; Category 3 horizontal venting
  • Proper venting is required and sold separately

Whatever you do realize that once the unit hits the temp and the fan turns off the heat with start to rise to the top of the building.  I actually use a box fan that I run in the corner opposite of the furnace and run that past the doors.  Keeps the air moving and things stay a bit more consistent and comfortable.

Speaking of heating a garage...How much insulation would you guys advise in the attic.  I currently have everything finished and have roughly 4 inches up there.  I'm not sure if adding another 4 inches will matter???  It's a 3 car garage..

I put R13 in my garage walls and R19 which is 6 inches in the ceiling. This is my first attached garage and I plan to use around a 50k btu heater but don't plan to heat it over 45 or so for the winter and crank it up when needed. I figured if it needed more I could just blow more in next year. Personally I'd want at least 6" in the ceiling. 

The topic comes up every year and every year recommendations flow for insulating a garage and sizing the furnace as if it was living space.  I suspect that most folks only heat the garage on the instances where they are going to be doing some work out there.  There has to be some balance between how much you spend on insulating and how much you're going to use the space.  I am sure there are on-line resources that can help you figure it out.  If you're going to have televisions and recliners and spend hours out there every day then maybe go the full boat.  But seek a balance.

Edited by Tom7227

I just installed a Beacon Morris 45k in my 850 sq/ft, 3 stall garage.  We built the house 2 years ago, and I then insulated the walls with R19 and blew in cellulose in the attic to around R34.  Garage doors are R9.6 if I remember correctly, one service door and no windows.  1/4 of my garage is common wall with the house.  Sterling (company that makes the Beacon Morris heater) recommended a 45k for my garage.  90% of the time I will keep the garage at 50* and based on my heat loss that was the proper size heater.

I also installed 2 ceiling fans.

FYI, in the heater section at Menards they have paperwork that you can submit to get an heat loss calculation done for your space and a recommendation on sizing for a heater. 

I am really liking the Beacon Morris heater, and it is very quiet.

Follow up to my last message.  The 45k has been more than enough for my size garage (BTW I have 11' ceilings).  New Years eve I finally turned it up when we had people over and the heater did not run all that much to keep it 65* in the garage (it was around 25*).  I haven't had a real good cold snap to see how it goes, but I don't expect it to be an issue.

I run a 45K mr heater in my garage.  Keeps me at 60 no problem in a 3 car attached.  6 inches in my ceiling.  Only issue I have is that I get a cracked fan blade on the thing each year.  They replaced it the first year but I've been on my own after that.  Next house will have a hawt dog in it for sure.  Much quieter. Or if I build, in floor would be my first choice if they let me lay it myself to save a few thousand.

Edited by Moon Lake Refuge

We have a 28 X 24 attached/insulated garage & replaced the our old furnace in the last 3-4 yrs. We went with the B & M in the 45000- 50000 range. Flip the switch, light the pilot, turn up the thermostat. go in the house for 10 minutes or so & good to go. Works for what we need as it only is used 2 or 3 times a year, tops.