• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My new favorite BBQ sauce.

I have gone through different taste fazes with most things as we all probably do.  Well I used to think Baby Rays was the best, and it is really good.  I thought Ken Davis was the best for awhile and it was.  I even like some Our Family sauces for a change.  Well my wife got a gift package at work and it was a BBQ package.  I can't believe it.  How cool is that?  Well it had Black Dog sauce.  We have had it for a month and I ran out of the opened things in the frig so opened a bottle of it.  It is my "new" favorite sauce.  It is a dark sauce and has just a touch of heat.  My wife does not really like hot stuff (except for me, lol)  and she even likes it.  AND it is made in Bemidji.  I am not even sure where to buy it but I wanted to drop their name to my brothers on here that a good sauce is made here in MN and you might want to try it.  I am hoping that this is OK to do and that I am not violating any rules.  I have no idea who these people are, I just wanted to put in a plug for a MN product.  

I'm sure it's good stuff. But are you real sure it is made in midji?  Looks like North Carolina on their page? :whistle:

cropped-Website-header3.png

Unless your thinking of Beers Black Dog BBQ sauce. ;)

www.beersblackdogbbq.com

Edited by leech~~

Here it is Lindell...made in Minnysoda, Beer's Black Dog BBQ Sauce. I had to hunt a lot, but by god I found it! Here's the places to get it, from the owners:

A huge hello to all our Canadian freinds! I was looking at different websites and happend across your post, I think we can help you out. We do not have a page yet as we have our hands full with local business. If you are traveling through the bemidji,mn area, Luekens ,Slim's bar&grill,marketplace foods,Ace hardware and bemidji woolen mills are just a few places that carry our sauce. Ace hardware and reeds drug in grand rapids,mn. L&M meats in grand forks,Baird's Grocery store in big falls,mn. and Strieff"s sporting goods in warroad,mn, Strieff's has it on their page. You can contact us directly at 218-766-3850 or [email protected] . It is so great to hear all the positive feedback and glad you enjoy Beer's Blackdog BB-Q sauce. Look forward to hearing from you. Thanks, Deb & Joe     ( P.S. where did you first try or hear about our sauce?)

Edited by RebelSS

Here it is Lindell...made in Minnysoda, Beer's Black Dog BBQ Sauce. I had to hunt a lot, but by god I found it! Here's the places to get it, from the owners:

A huge hello to all our Canadian freinds! I was looking at different websites and happend across your post, I think we can help you out. We do not have a page yet as we have our hands full with local business. If you are traveling through the bemidji,mn area, Luekens ,Slim's bar&grill,marketplace foods,Ace hardware and bemidji woolen mills are just a few places that carry our sauce. Ace hardware and reeds drug in grand rapids,mn. L&M meats in grand forks,Baird's Grocery store in big falls,mn. and Strieff"s sporting goods in warroad,mn, Strieff's has it on their page. You can contact us directly at 218-766-3850 or [email protected] . It is so great to hear all the positive feedback and glad you enjoy Beer's Blackdog BB-Q sauce. Look forward to hearing from you. Thanks, Deb & Joe     ( P.S. where did you first try or hear about our sauce?)

Dude, look up two posts. ;)

Yup that is it, Beers Black Dog.  I emailed them and they sent me those places mentioned that sell it.  They are going to update their page so the dealers are on there.  Thanks.  Sometimes I think we can all use a little therapy.  And that can be a good thing!   :-)  I might have one or two tonight as a matter of fact.  

I for one have not bought any commercial made BBQ sauce in years.  Always make my own.  I  think if I were to buy some it would be something new like this Beers Black Dog or something like that,  Kind of like small brewery's where you can find a real good beer at times.  Over the years of seeing and trying most of the brands in the store, I found that most of them taste the same or close except  for the heat some have which varied.  good luck.

RH strikes again.  In doubt buy the Open Pit and either use it straight up or doctor it a bit.  Some are more vinegar, some more sweet, some a smidge hotter.  After sitting on your rubbed meat they ain't much different.    Still fun to make your own though.

I was just listening to an interview with the guy from franklin BBQ in Austin TX.  It was on the Americas test kitchen radio podcast for Sept 12.  You can download it on itunes which is easiest.  Or go to https://www.americastestkitchen.com/radio/181-the-art-of-bbq-aaron-franklin-strips-it-down-and-beefs-it-up

but you will need to register. 

His rub is salt and pepper.  Basically all the minor ingredients can't be detected once the meat is cooked is his position.  Says the fire is the most important thing. 

I'm sure what he makes is good.  I think my son-in-law went there and he said it was a great BBQ spot.  Yes the fire is important.  Lot of the guy's down south are still into using just wood.  They call it their stick burners.  Salt and pepper is always a good way to spice up beef but pork needs a little more in my opinion.  Once you sauce your meat, the spices play a minor role for it's the sauce you taste for it overpowers the spices [except if you added crushed red pepper for example for heat vs no hot pepper].  I also think folks use more sauce than needed at times.  Taste more sauce than the meat flavor.  I've made up my own rubs which I use on pork and chicken for the most part.  Beef is unique in that respect for me anyway and I can agree with the Franklin version of their rub being just salt and pepper.  But added garlic never hurts a thing with beef.  I have tried Montreal Steak Seasoning and found that to be something I would buy for burgers and steaks.

Lot's of different opinions on the fire used.  Woodburners, charcoal, gas, or electric.  You can get folks to swear on any one of these that one is their favorite.  I think everything that's involved with preparing a meal is important.  Can't just say it's the fire that's the most important.  But I do think as far as cooking outdoors, that is very important, but only one factor in making a tasty meal.  good luck. 

Hello everyone!

Myself, I love fast food, especially the roasted and grilled spicy chicken filled with my mother's favorite condiments to make it more delicious and juicy. While I'm typing it, my mouth is already filling with water. Uploaded my mom's exotic barbecue recipe.

Edited by William Smith