• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Recomendations on how to lift a deer into the back of the truck by yourself

MidCoast

I have a pulley in my garage that I run the cable through to the gambrel.  I hook it to my 4 wheeler winch and use that to lift it.  

Sounds like it would work great as long as you shot the deer in your driveway. 

The guy needs info on how to load it out in the field, not in the garage.

The guy needs info on how to load it out in the field, not in the garage.

The original post didn't mention where.  Yes I thought in the woods also. :blush:

Wish I could help.

Edited by Finns
spelling

It is something that should not be talked about. Once you start talking about killing a deer and what you are going to do with it you wont get one. Its like talking to a pitcher about and bring up that he has a a no hitter going the eight inning. It is bad luck. Being unprepard is a better way to ensure success. Or a rope and tree branch always work for me. 

Ain't that the truth.  One year I cleaned the garage good and got my cutting board all set up for butchering deer.  Of course I did not get on that season.  Never again will I be so prepared in advance to jinx myself.

It is something that should not be talked about. Once you start talking about killing a deer and what you are going to do with it you wont get one. Its like talking to a pitcher about and bring up that he has a a no hitter going the eight inning. It is bad luck. Being unprepard is a better way to ensure success. Or a rope and tree branch always work for me. 

Spot on.  My game cart quit leaving the garage after 2 or 3 years of not getting used.  Every year since then we've said "it sure would be nice to have that game cart about now". 

I had the good fortune of getting a deer in the truck solo this last weekend.  I looped my drag rope around one of the tie down loops in the bed and his antlers, and lifted the head up as high as I could (which was about 10").  I was able to finally get it up maybe 18" or so, tie a knot, take a break, and then pretty much do an all out dead lift to get the front shoulders up on the tailgate.  Once I got the shoulders up, the rest was easy.  Another hunter showed up just as I was getting done.  Figures.

I don't know that there is a "good" way.  Some just suck a little bit less than others.   

I use an ice fishing sled and a plank for a ramp.   Getting the deer in the sled is not too hard.  Then get things lined up and push the sled up the ramp.   The sled keeps blood from getting in the vehicle and serves as a drip pan while the deer is hanging.    I hang the deer in the garage with a boat winch mounted to the wall and a couple of pulleys or a come-a-long.   I just have never had much success with the block and tackle rigs.   If you need to get a sled just for this I think the Jet-Sled is the cheapest way to go.  The sled can also make for easier dragging.

That's exactly what I do. If you can back up to a hill of any kind, that help too.

I cheat. I have one of those Floe Cargo Max trailers and it tips down to the ground so I just drag the deer up the slight incline and am good to go. I have done the plank or plywood to get it into a truck though. I have also used a big ice fishing sled for dragging and loading. Good luck.

here something i found in Outdoor Life Nov article

seems pretty simple and economical 

requires 2 ropes (short one for truck bed, long one for dragging deer onto truck), a ramp or skid of some type and a pulley. just tie other end of rope to tree or post 

deer%20skid.2.jpg

Edited by Mr Special