• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First Bacon Attempt

mrklean

Will hopefully smoke on Saturday, any tips from you guys on temps, looking around the temp you want to hit on the inside is 150 would around 200 and longer be better then a 225-250 and shorter time? I plan on using apple wood for my first try.

I've never done it, but I've heard that you actually want to keep the chamber more on the cool side and inside temp is not as important because you fully-cook the final product, not eating it out of the smoker.  The smoking is more for flavor than cooking.  I've heard you don't want to fat to begin to render.  Again, don't take this as gospel, but I'm curious to see what the more experienced folks say about this one as I'm planning this myself in the near future and want to make sure I'm not going to get my family sick. :)

I've done it twice and am ready to do it again.  Turned out great.  You don't want the inside temp to go above 150 or it will turn to ham.  Won't have that bacon look and feel. The longer it takes to get there the more smoke you should get I would think.  I started at 180 for a couple of hours and then to 250.  Watch it though so you don't go over 150.  Some of the more experienced should check in here with you soon I would think. 

You  can cold smoke it or hot smoke it.  By cold smoking that means using only smoke or in technical talk temps usually under 80 degrees.  The AMPS tube smoker usually gives out some heat so it can vary.  Cold smoking for 6 to 8 hours is common. Then letting the bacon cool down some and putting it in the fridge for a couple of days before slicing.  

Hot smoking [I think that's what you are going to do} is pretty much cooking the bacon to 150 degrees internal.  That also is a long process.  You can start out at 110 deg. for the first hour with no smoke to dry the bacon further [assuming that you patted the bacon down and let a pellicle form after drying].   Then crank it up to 130 and leave it there for a couple of hours with smoke, then 140 degrees for a couple of hours with smoke, and then up to 200 with smoke until the internal is 150 deg.  Let your bacon cool down.  Keep it in the fridge for a couple of days and then slice or leave whole and vac pack them for the freezer.  Keep your end pieces for beans ect.  Will be checking in for the final product.  good luck.