• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Some honey caps are just starting to come up in the Little Falls area.  We like these as they are quite versatile and available in large quantities.  Remember to cook them, unless you want an unpleasant gastrointestinal disturbance.  Many folks try them raw because they look so appealing...big mistake.  We really could use more rain to get the fall mushrooms going.  

It was an excellent late summer mushroom season with the real bonus being a large group of The Prince...Agaricus Augustus.  Don't run into those very often and they are a real treat.  They have an almond to almost light anise taste.  I will try to post some pictures of them.

Yep, the honeys are out in profusion.  On a quick jaunt yesterday I saw, oh I don't know, probably a thousand of them.  I missed the best ones by a few days, though, as the older ones tend to get buggy pretty quickly.  

I've read that some people still have some GI distress from cooked ones. Apparently a quick boil before cooking can remove and/or denature the "toxins," but I don't know. 

Plenty of new hens still coming up.  All the lobsters and trumpets I saw were too old to collect, so I fear that season is coming to a close.  The abortions are everywhere at present, too.  A few dryad saddles are here and there, a few oldish oysters, a few chickens as well. Great time to be out in the woods! 

Still have not pulled the trigger on the honey's yet. They are seemly everywhere, have been "safely" eaten for thousands of years, but still(no mushroom pun intended) chicken...... out every year, as so many othe4s are available. So where do they taste on your shroom-ometer....teal? 

We don't have a profusion of honey caps yet, we have not gotten the rain like some other areas. Will check again today.  Once they start to come, there are generally loads of them.  I always parboil them for several minutes prior to use and add a little vinegar to the water. It helps clean and tighten them up plus seems to take care of the GI upset issues that likely will occur if eaten raw. After parboiling I give them a quick rinse in cold water.  One can freeze them this way and they can be used for months, acutally we've used them frozen up to the next season.    We have eaten these for a long time with no issues by doing this.  They can be used in any number of ways...excellent on pizza/steak etc.

If we get some cool long fall rains...shaggy  manes should start showing up.