• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

image.thumb.jpeg.2a9a847cc7a28b8a3dfb186

Took a chance and made the 5hr trip to Lake of the Woods last night. After a few hours sleep I had an enjoyable day today. Got a Greenwing over the decoys this morning and three fat Bluewing teal this afternoon jump shooting with the kayak. These were by far the fattest bluewings I have gotten this year. 

Going to catch a shower and scout for tomorrow's adventure. 

The only shots I herd today were fired from my gun. 

Neighbor_guy I had to take a double look at those birds, thought at first they were juvenile hen mallards you are right they are some plump birds!  I'm jealous, no hunting this weekend all studying :( Good luck hunting tomorrow!

Kettle 

it was caked on them like buttered flavored crisco...

I have got a few blue wings in mid October in Canada and they have had some fat on the breasts that was like a quarter inch thick.  Love seeing that, those are the birds I pluck, I don't pluck many so it takes a tasty looking one to do so.  Are you hunting out on the main lake?  Seeing any divers?  Are you running a big spread?

No, I have some boat issues and had to leave it home. Using the kayak and targeting puddle ducks. Ran 30 decoys yesterday and got ignored during the morning flight. Scaled back to 18 today and had birds commit better instead of just fly over. 

Saw 3cans this morning, that was it for divers. 

Ended the day with a pair of mallards and a merganser. 

I was scheduled to stay another day, but I am going to cut the trip short and go focus on the exam I have on Thursday.  The following week is going to be a weeklong trip split between here LOW and ELY. So that trip will include the full diver spread for sure. 

Went out on Sunday. Had a lot of missed opportunities. Zoey was being really antsy, trying to get my go pro set, gun jamming,  blah blah. Only bagged two blues. Had a great time tho, besides the fellow friendly hunters who set up 100 yards with their decoys in between them and me. At one time I had BBs land right next to my boat. I wanted to run my boat up to them, scream and call law enforcement. But decided to pack it up and left it up to god.

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed.jpg

Ohboytimmy, it is always nerve racking to hear a sheet of bb's hitting the water around you. Glad to hear that you are safe, hearing about hunting accidents puts my stomach in knots. One happy and handsome looking pooch you got there.

Happy Hunting 

Kettle 

Steel shot falls to earth about 300yards away when conditions are right. If everyone planned accordingly and kept that in mind there wouldn't be nearly the issues we have with this kind of thing. You did right by not provoking an altercation. Did they know you were there when they set up???

I agree that there is plenty of room for outdoors men to hunt safely and successfully. There's no way they didn't know i was there. I had my boat lights on and even my red head lamp flickering. They didnt seem like first timers either. 

"besides the fellow friendly hunters who set up 100 yards with their decoys in between them and me. At one time I had BBs land right next to my boat. I wanted to run my boat up to them, scream and call law enforcement. But decided to pack it up and left it up to god."

"Ohboytimmy, it is always nerve racking to hear a sheet of bb's hitting the water around you. Glad to hear that you are safe, hearing about hunting accidents puts my stomach in knots."

"Steel shot falls to earth about 300yards away when conditions are right. If everyone planned accordingly and kept that in mind there wouldn't be nearly the issues we have with this kind of thing. You did right by not provoking an altercation. Did they know you were there when they set up???"

You guys don't think being an entire football field away is reasonable?  When you hunt public waters everyone has to share.  I think a 300 yard radius is a bit much, especially if you've scouted out spots and you show up at 4:00 AM , its hard to tell the distance of a flash light in the pitch dark.  Last year we set up in a spot that was about 100 yards away from a guy (after we rowed past our first 2 scouted spots), then had someone come in after us and set up about 50 yards away.  everyone was getting "rained on".  I actually find it amusing... line drive shots not so much.  When the guy left he made some comment, "thanks for the shower".  Dude there is probably 80 other people out here (and we never shot in your direction, which was to our right, we only shot straight out front, over the water, over our decoys). Are we all just supposed to pack up because you need your space.  I'm sure all the other people set up would just love us rowing all over the place as it gets lighter.  We all only get so many opportunities to get out, so try not to get all crabby and enjoy your time on the water.

You guys don't think being an entire football field away is reasonable?  When you hunt public waters everyone has to share.  I think a 300 yard radius is a bit much, especially if you've scouted out spots and you show up at 4:00 AM , its hard to tell the distance of a flash light in the pitch dark.  Last year we set up in a spot that was about 100 yards away from a guy (after we rowed past our first 2 scouted spots), then had someone come in after us and set up about 50 yards away.  everyone was getting "rained on".  I actually find it amusing... line drive shots not so much.  When the guy left he made some comment, "thanks for the shower".  Dude there is probably 80 other people out here (and we never shot in your direction, which was to our right, we only shot straight out front, over the water, over our decoys). Are we all just supposed to pack up because you need your space.  I'm sure all the other people set up would just love us rowing all over the place as it gets lighter.  We all only get so many opportunities to get out, so try not to get all crabby and enjoy your time on the water.

Yes I think 100 yards is too close so is 200, if you want to set up next to me at 100 yards I'll politely ask you to leave if that doesn't work then I'll politely pick up my spread at the right at shooting time and not be quick about it either.. And yes when i have been the last one there  have packed it up and went home and not bothered the guys that got there first.  Bottom line get away from the crowd  and you won't have those problems.. 

Yes I think 100 yards is too close so is 200, if you want to set up next to me at 100 yards I'll politely ask you to leave if that doesn't work then I'll politely pick up my spread at the right at shooting time and not be quick about it either.. And yes when i have been the last one there  have packed it up and went home and not bothered the guys that got there first.  Bottom line get away from the crowd  and you won't have those problems.. 

Well, its a good thing you hunt up by Brainerd, and not anywhere near the metro area on public waters.  If I packed up and left every time someone set up within 200 yards of me, I'd never get to hunt. 

I'm not trying to pick a fight just stating facts.

We just shake our heads at the guys coming out late.  Call them bad words (quietly and to ourselves).  And enjoy our limited time out there.

I never said I had a bad time, or I was "being crabby" 

"besides the fellow friendly hunters who set up 100 yards with their decoys in between them and me. At one time I had BBs land right next to my boat. I wanted to run my boat up to them, scream and call law enforcement. But decided to pack it up and left it up to god."

"Ohboytimmy, it is always nerve racking to hear a sheet of bb's hitting the water around you. Glad to hear that you are safe, hearing about hunting accidents puts my stomach in knots."

"Steel shot falls to earth about 300yards away when conditions are right. If everyone planned accordingly and kept that in mind there wouldn't be nearly the issues we have with this kind of thing. You did right by not provoking an altercation. Did they know you were there when they set up???"

I wasn't btcing about fellow hunters being 100 yards from my boat..... I just have never had an experience like that being "rained on". Again I was far far from metro land. I did state that I kept my cool and I left my spot around 10. There would only be 1 lonely hen flying per 30 mins so it was time to pack it up.

Completely agree with Todd Caswell about getting away from the crowds. It seems like every time I try some other dude is doing the same thing lol

I absolutely do not mind hunters near or around me as it is land that we share in this brotherhood. However, there should be a respect and a concern for safety. Safety, is without a doubt, is the top priority in hunting.

This is why I gave up duck hunting.  I sure do miss the birds and the sunrises, but I sure don't miss the other hunters here in the south metro.

I do enjoy looking at the pictures posted in these threads.  It makes me want to give it a try again, but I doubt it is getting any better out there.  Maybe I'll give up a weekend of deer hunting and try it when everyone is in the woods.

Well, its a good thing you hunt up by Brainerd, and not anywhere near the metro area on public waters.  If I packed up and left every time someone set up within 200 yards of me, I'd never get to hunt. 

I'm not trying to pick a fight just stating facts.

We just shake our heads at the guys coming out late.  Call them bad words (quietly and to ourselves).  And enjoy our limited time out there.

Yah I would probably end up in jail an hour after opener, acually if i had to deal with hunting public water in the metro  I would hang it up in MN, and save my time and money and spend it north of the border, no sence fighting over the few ducks we have. If you work hard enough at it you will find private and isolated areas where you won't have to deal with this..