• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hunted a small (less than an acre) pond which was about a ten minute walk from home. Had my wood duck limit fifteen minutes after legal shooting start time .

ducks2015.jpg.w560h420.jpg

Heading north on a 6 day grouse and walleye trip mid week and then back home for more ducks.

Duck opener was as I expected, hunted the pond behind my parents, never really has been good but I hate dealing with people on public water on the opener, one Wood Duck, and Libby made a nice retrieve across the pond and up in the grass, could have pulled the trigger on a couple other woodies but they were pass shots not in the decoys. Dinner was grilled duck breast over a bed of wild rice, smashed red potatoes and green beans.And Libby got to clean up the plate.

duck%202015%201_zpsshwzjiho.jpg

duck%202015%203_zpslmmv3ped.jpg

duck%20opener%202015%20dinner_zpspibxy81

That Milwaukee's Beast looks out of place next to that good plate of food

Not a ton of action, but each kid got their first duck and had a blast. Heard lots of shooting, we ended with a dozen or so teal, couple woodies and ringbill and nice drake redhead. Kids got a decent amount of shooting in, and lots of target shooting after the hunt. They were tuckered out by Saturday night! haha!

hunters.jpg

hunters2.jpg

Hunted near Brookings, SD. 5 of us took 37 ducks opening morning and 38 on Sunday. We were done both days by 9:30am. It was a ton of fun.  I have never seen so many teal.  Almost all blue wings, only had about 5 green wings. We mixed in some spoonbills, widgeon, gadwall, mallards, one red head and one ring neck.  The bonus teal made for a fun and successful weekend.

Opener was going great...and then my dog had a seizure (not the one pictured...that's my buddy's Irish setter). Talk about putting a damper on a banner North Dakota day! Good news Blitz is fine...just need to make sure he eats and keeps his blood sugar up. Live and learn. Plenty of season left for Team Wirehair.

_IMG_20150926_1103101.thumb.jpg.34f0a996

Opener was going great...and then my dog had a seizure (not the one pictured...that's my buddy's Irish setter). Talk about putting a damper on a banner North Dakota day! Good news Blitz is fine...just need to make sure he eats and keeps his blood sugar up. Live and learn. Plenty of season left for Team Wirehair.

Sorry to hear that! I used to have a dog that started having seizures at a young age - they prescribed her this medicine that we'd give her twice a day and she was good for another 10 years after that! The medicine didn't change her personality or demeanor either.

Sorry to hear that! I used to have a dog that started having seizures at a young age - they prescribed her this medicine that we'd give her twice a day and she was good for another 10 years after that! The medicine didn't change her personality or demeanor either.

The vet thinks it was exercise/food related and not genetic (at least not yet). The good thing is it sounds totally avoidable...I just need to keep an eye on him after he works a lot and give him snacks throughout a hunt to help keep his electrolytes up and blood sugar up. But if he starts having seizures when he's not hunting, it could be epilepsy. Then he'll be prescribed meds. 

The vet thinks it was exercise/food related and not genetic (at least not yet). The good thing is it sounds totally avoidable...I just need to keep an eye on him after he works a lot and give him snacks throughout a hunt to help keep his electrolytes up and blood sugar up. But if he starts having seizures when he's not hunting, it could be epilepsy. Then he'll be prescribed meds. 

I have a yellow lab who has had seizures since she was a pup, she has been on phenobarbital since. She is 9 years old, and is staring to show her age a little, but other than that shes had a good life. Nothing more helpless than watching your best friend go through one. Good luck with your dog, hopefully it was just a one time deal.

Ely area- What a difference a year makes, last year was a banner year.  Opening day, a wood duck, mallard and ringer.  Fired 5 shots total, possibly could have got another mallard but that was it.  Quite for all the groups we ran into.  Sunday, didn't fire a shot, saw a group of 50 mallards move before shooting hours.  Guess they had a huge storm in late August knocked all the rice down, few weeks after that there were ducks everywhere, from what the locals said many off them moved out in the last two weeks.  Put on about 200 miles Saturday to find better spots and no luck.  Will be anxiously awaiting the larger groups of ringers in the coming weeks.

Kettle 

I have a yellow lab who has had seizures since she was a pup, she has been on phenobarbital since. She is 9 years old, and is staring to show her age a little, but other than that shes had a good life. Nothing more helpless than watching your best friend go through one. Good luck with your dog, hopefully it was just a one time deal.

Phenobarbital - that's what my family dog was on too. That stuff worked wonders.

A canvas back and bluebills!?!?!? That looks like a great morning hunt. I can't wait for divers...

Last year on the second weekend the divers were thick by me. Bills, cans, buffies, even a goldeneye. It was crazy good, and I dont ever recall hitting them this early. I'm used to seeing redheads right off the bat, and cans about Oct 10 or so, but the bills surprised me and the goldeneye shocked me.

Looks like it might be shaping up to be another good second weekend.

Last year on the second weekend the divers were thick by me. Bills, cans, buffies, even a goldeneye. It was crazy good, and I dont ever recall hitting them this early. I'm used to seeing redheads right off the bat, and cans about Oct 10 or so, but the bills surprised me and the goldeneye shocked me.

Looks like it might be shaping up to be another good second weekend.

An epic second weekend!

We had a very good Opener down here in the far southwest corner. Six of us shot a six man limit of about half mallards and half bluewings along with two spoonies and a couple of honkers. Real good time.

I guess I should not have quite hunting ducks in Minnesota years ago. It seems everyone and his brother shot limits this weekend.

Good luck this weekend everybody. For those in the southern part of the state this is the last couple of days before the break. 

If all goes well and I get out of here when I want to today sunrise will find me in the Baudette area in the morning. No shut down for them, so 3days of hunting in my future. 

Be safe! Have fun!! And share some stories. 

DSC_0700.thumb.jpg.1342e99029ff5abe8654bGot out again this morning quick before work with a good buddy. Figured we had to get one more Nodak hunt in before the NR's came up (don't worry, we left you guys a couple ;)). First field hunt in years, and it was one to remember. Got the seizure slick out and he picked up his first honker! What a way to spend a weekday morning. 

IMG_1386.JPG.thumb.jpeg.4082facc2f82c03d

Edited by TylerS