• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rear mounted hitch on ice castle

coombia21

I had a 8x16 ice castle last year and sold it at the end of the season. I am looking at newer houses for this upcoming season, is is possible to put a hitch in the rear of these to pull a trailer behind. I like the concept of the toy haulers but do not care for some of the things they offer. I like being able to fish out of the house at night but want to be able to be mobile during the day. I would like to get a lake of the woods 8x16 and put a hitch in the rear to pull sleds and portables behind this. Is this something that can be done or not? Has anyone done this and how have you liked it. 

That would put a ton of stress on the last piece of steel. I would personally be really scared of doing that, especially with the quality of ice castle welds, but that's just my opinion. If that wheeler breaks off and kills somebody you are 100% liable. 

Agreed with brian. me and the wife have a 20ftv, and are looking at a 5th wheel for this option, but untill then we just drive anotehr vehicle topul the other toys, funny when one thinks about, as a very young child we couldnt leave the house with out our bubba bankie, special toys of this that and that other thing, and now we cant leave the house with out our icecastles 4wheelers and snow cats. LMAO, love it!

It is legal in North Dakota to pull two bumper hitch trailers, unless something has changed in the last couple of years, and by looking at your location on your scree name, maybe that's where you would be pulling it. If that's the case, I would look into it and make sure nothing has changed. I could not imagine putting another trailer behind one of these fish house's as I would think unless everything is loaded correctly, it would get pretty squirrely.

I think you have to focus on getting the atv in the truck if you aren't going with a toy hauler. I would not try to add a platform on the tail of an ice castle frame, no way. Atv's are heavy, and that's at a serious leverage location, really tough on the trailer frame (frames typically will bend right behind the rear axle, generally speaking of car and cargo type trailers)

Plus it would cause tongue lift rather than tongue weight, which is very bad. Lol.

Have you looked into any of the sled bed type decks that you can get to carry 2 sleds side by side at bed rail level of a pickup box?  Maybe something like that could work? Might aliw you to haul other gear in the bed and maybe out the Wheeler up on that raised deck?

I dunno.

What about leaving some room in front of the fish house to haul the atv? Say you want an 8x16, instead build on a 8x20 frame and leave the first 4 feet open to haul the atv. I've seen campers setup that way, so I would think it'd be doable. 

I'd do that way before I put it on the back.